Prelief Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelief Question

So, I've only ever tried Prelief when eating IC safe foods prepared in a restaurant or someone else's home when I'm not sure if they snuck a spice or something into it.

But, does anyone know how strong the stuff really is? Like, has anyone had tomato sauce or chocolate or forbidden fruit and popped some Prelief and was fine?

I'm afraid to experiment and would love to hear about others' experiences? Because I have a hankering for gluten free spaghetti and meatballs with real tomato sauce.
    My current regimen:
    Dancing, Laughing, Petting Emily and Louise - my shihtzus

Tried and gave up on:
    Diazepam
    PFD
    Warm Baths
    Millions of supplements
    Elmiron instillations - did 5 weekly instills and did not help. Gave up.
    Oxytrol patch - no consistent relief after 3 weeks and very expensive
    Sanctura XR - tried for 6 weeks with no consistent relief
    Imipramine - tried for a week, but started to have a "hesitant" void - kind of twitchy.
    PTNS - doctor's office was disorganized, appts took hours and gave up after 4 treatments
    Vaginal valium suppositories - not as effective as taking valium orally
    Cystoprotek - ridiculously overpriced - taking same supplements from CVS
    Elmiron - 100mg in the morn, 200mg in the late afternoon - no results after 1 year
    Elavil - 25 mg at night- no consistent relief and 5 extra pounds
    IV Vitamin C - the only person with an allergic reaction to Vitamin C drips
    Hormones

good question. i'm afraid to try dangerous foods, but i'd love to know! i just bought some for the first time the other day (at longs). they weren't carrying it anymore, but they were able to call it in for me. i've been taking two with every meal just in case some sneaky acid is in there.
    lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
    pyridium

ditropan
    buspirone

?(new medications)
    chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

Would love to know how everyone uses it?

Comment

Talk to your doctor about how much you should take; let's say just my doctor's suggestion differentiated from the direction on the bottle.
        Also, I do not recommend experimenting and branching outside of the IC diet, until you have been really dedicated to it for a long period of time. I strongly believe in the IC diet, and I believe it has significantly contributed to the healing of my Hunner's Ulcers. In fact, I don't even take Prelief any longer because I adhere so strictly to the diet.
        More importantly, Prelief only, "Takes the acid out of food," not the histamines, sodium, potassium, preservatives, nerve stimulants, or artificial sweetner, so it is not fool proof and even if you use Prelief, you may still be harming your bladder through food. Be careful! And good luck!
        (P.S. Why do artificial sweetners tend to be harmful again? I hope it is not because of acidity, because then I will sound so silly...)
        Tierney
        Message me and add me http://facebook.com/tierneybrielle.

Diagnosed with IC at 12-years-old, but have had IC much longer, now 24-years-old - fibromyalgia (diasnosed 07/30/12) - CFS - migraines - diagnosed with myofascial pelvic pain syndrome in January of '12 - scoliosis since ~12-years-old & s/p spinal fusion (06/21/10) T10-L3 w/ metal implants & nerve damage - post laminectomy syndrome - lumbar spondylosis - mild dextroscoliosis now - menorrhagia and dysmenorrhea (both controlled) - IBS - chemical sensitivity - allergies - chronic nose bleeds - heartburn - rosacea - and that is just the relevant stuff

Do you have a question? Feel free to ask me anything; I am an open book!

I am not a medical authority; I do not offer medical advice. Talk to your doctor, and if you are not comfortable talking to your doctor, find another one. It is OK to advocate for yourself as well as not be satisfied with your doctor! You deserve the best medical care.

Comment

Originally posted by tierney View Post
          More importantly, Prelief only, "Takes the acid out of food," not the histamines, sodium, potassium, preservatives, nerve stimulants, or artificial sweetner, so it is not fool proof and even if you use Prelief, you may still be harming your bladder through food. Be careful! And good luck!
          (P.S. Why do artificial sweetners tend to be harmful again? I hope it is not because of acidity, because then I will sound so silly...)
          good point! that's the mistake i made when i drank a flippin soy chai the other day thinking it was okay because i took prelief.
          lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
          pyridium

ditropan
          buspirone

?(new medications)
          chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

My massage therapist told me that she went into remission from IC partially due, she believes, to daily use of Prelief. I have used Prelief when trying to eat any foods that are even slightly acidic, and get a flare anyway. I can get a flare from not eating at all, so not sure I'm the best test subject. I think it really varies from person to person. I do know that I have problems with constipation, and Prelief seemed to make it worse. Just an FYI, again everyone's body is different.

Comment

Originally posted by emilyandlouise View Post
              So, I've only ever tried Prelief when eating IC safe foods prepared in a restaurant or someone else's home when I'm not sure if they snuck a spice or something into it.

But, does anyone know how strong the stuff really is? Like, has anyone had tomato sauce or chocolate or forbidden fruit and popped some Prelief and was fine?

I'm afraid to experiment and would love to hear about others' experiences? Because I have a hankering for gluten free spaghetti and meatballs with real tomato sauce.
              I take it daily. I have had a small amount of those cheap Tostiono's pepperoni pizza that you can get at walmart for like $1 and I think that I took 4 prelief and had water with baking soda in it (just to be on the safe side) and I was perfectly fine. But I would only do that from time to time.

I can even have alfrado sauce which is a forbidden food for us and I am fine. I just would not suggest eating pizza or a major forbidden food (that has tomatoes or chocolate) more than once a week and I would only have a small portion. I only do that if I am not in a flare.

I take any where from 2-4 prelief (no more than that so the prelief will last longer). I do find that it doesn't help with some foods. Like the vanilla flavored cookies with the cream in the middle (they are like oreo's but only vanilla). I am too much of a chicken to try chocolate. I only tried it with pizza once because I was having a super bad annoying craving pizza. I was thanking God that it did not cause a flare.

Comment

I take Prelief with my Puroast coffee. I am fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a few cups of this coffee and take 2 tablets with each cup. I miss tomato sauce like crazy but haven't mustered up the courage yet to try it. Same for mayo - I am just drooling for a tuna salad sandwich but the thought of suffering keeps me from opening the jar! It's true that because everyone's bladders are different and react differently to foods and drink, it is best to err on the cautious side and try a couple of bites or sips of a food, and take a couple of Prelief. If you don't have any strong reactions, then you may be able to take a few more bites, but I'd take the Prelief right along with it.
                Pat

Comment

Working...
                X