• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    Oh I understand that. It’s just frustrating to continuously have UTI’s almost monthly. I had to cancel my last instillation for today due to it. I already had to cancel them twice for Covid and then another UTI. I think the most discouraging part of it is not knowing what is wrong. He won’t diagnose me with IC but treats me for it. He is just calling it urethritis.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Unfortunately, long term antibiotics can result in development of antibiotic resistant bacteria and some serious infections. I personally agree with your urologist.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    I’ve spoken to my urologist about long term antibiotic therapy as well, but he won’t support it. I’m getting a specialty referral next week.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    You might want to request that they do if the infections come back a short time after you finish antibiotics.

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    Nothing stops the pain. Azo, Uribel, NSAIDs, nothing. They never do cultures after I finish the antibiotics. ☹️

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    It's hard to know how you are getting the infections. Are they doing cultures to be sure the infection is cleared after a series of antibiotics? Have you tried pyridium or urogesic blue for your urethral pain? You probably are already familiar with pyridium, which is available over the counter under the brand name AZO. It stains so if you try it, you'll probably want to use panty liners to avoid staining clothing.

Sending well wishes,
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    Hi Donna. It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I was doing really well and then suddenly this past week I’m back to horrible pain. I went to doctors care last night to get another culture. I’ve had 5 weeks of instillations. I had sex last weekend and that’s when it all started up again. And I even take prophylactic antibiotics after sex. My last UTI was last month after sex. I’m not sure what to do anymore.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I'm so sorry you're having so much difficulty. It can take a while for instillations to work --- I hope you have some relief soon. Please keep me posted on how you are doing.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    I take D- mannose, and I drink tons of water. I just get them constantly. They are never the same bacteria and rarely are they E. coli. I’m broken! I still have no relief with the urethral pain! I’m trying cornsilk next. It’s being delivered to my house today.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    You might want to think about something like D-Mannose to help avoid infections. And be sure to drink enough water --- that can help avoid infections. I've had instillations many times and never had an infection after one in the doctor's office.

Good luck!
    Donna

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    So I finally had my first bladder instillation today. I developed a UTI AGAIN last week and finished my antibiotics yesterday. I’m worried about getting yet another UTI from having a catheter placed every week, but I need relief somehow. I guess we will see if this helps. I’m starting to lose hope. ☹️

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I suspect most urology clinics have some waiting times for appointments. Please keep in touch.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    I called today, and he upped it to 25 mg since I’m not having any side effects. My first instillation is now not scheduled until January 13th since they canceled my first 3 due to Covid. It’s a very large urology practice so getting appointments can be hard!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    ICN Staff

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I'm so glad you're over the Covid --- so many are having severe illnesses. It's a really scary time. I suggest you give your doctor's office a call and ask before increasing your dose. You might want to do the instillations now. It just might be the key to improvement.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• PC82
    ICN Member

• PC82
    replied
    My urethral burning came back now that I’m over Covid. Now I don’t know if it was Covid making me better as my body was focusing on fighting the virus instead. Then again, maybe I need to up the amitryptiline. Now I just don’t know. ☹️

Leave a comment:

Working...
X