Ureathral spasms after instill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ureathral spasms after instill...

My ic has been flaring terribly from stress the past month. My doc wants me to do as many installations as I can. The problem is, I feel pretty good the day I get the instillation, but I have to take at least 2 narco pain pills along with Pyridium and muscle relaxers due to the awful pain in my urethra from the catheter. The use the smallest catheter and a lidocaine urojet.

Then, after about 24 hours my bladder may feel a little better, sometimes I get pinching spasms, but the really bad pain is in my urethra. It's almost not worth getting instillations if I have to take so many pain medications to deal with just one instill. I'm in pain for 2-3 days after an instill.

My doc suggested possibly doing a ureathral stretching under anesthesia. That sounds incredibly painful too.

I got an instill 2 days ago and I'm still in pain. I'm on my 2nd dose of narco, Pyridium and lidocaine. I'll probably use a heating pad all day today again.

I really hate getting the instills and i really think they cause me to flare.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I take Elmiron, but I don't think it helps much. Aloe Vera capsules hurt. I might try lyrics or neurontin again, they hurt me years ago.

Ice, heat, lidocaine, Pyridium, muscle relaxers, baking soda water, very bland diet and narco pain meds help me function the most. I also have vulvadynia & fibromyalgia.

I always test negative for a bladder infection.

Re: Ureathral spasms after instill...

I had my eurthrea stretched twice so the cathetor could go in easier. It really wasn't that bad. Sort of like pain after having your tooth pulled and I would do it again too because it made putting the cathetor in a whole lot less painful. Before it felt like broken glass going in. My urthrea was really small. They can give you lidocaine to put in your urthrea at home. I did that the first year of having the heparin/lidocaine done and it helped a alot. I get those spasms and pinching feelings too even when I don't have the installation done.

Comment

Please no stretching! It gives permanent wound in urerthra and things go worse later. It has to be proofed first, if thing is so bad, and I know the cases where IC patient gets correct treatment, as well muscle relaxers, and it gets bigger later again.

But I wanted to say, that lidocaine can actually burn like hell. I suggest to try some times without it and then see, if things are getting better, ok?..

Comment

Originally posted by krist656 View Post
        Please no stretching! It gives permanent wound in urerthra and things go worse later. It has to be proofed first, if thing is so bad, and I know the cases where IC patient gets correct treatment, as well muscle relaxers, and it gets bigger later again.

But I wanted to say, that lidocaine can actually burn like hell. I suggest to try some times without it and then see, if things are getting better, ok?..
        I had my urethra stretched over forty years ago and for me it worked. I had a very small urethra, which is the only reason I would consider this procedure --- but there are some instances where it's the best option. I'm sure that lidocaine can burn for some folks, but it usually deadens the area and is soothing for many of us. The need for an analgesic with instillations can depend on what's in the solution instilled. When I had DMSO, it was almost an essential for me.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila6830 View Post
          My ic has been flaring terribly from stress the past month. My doc wants me to do as many installations as I can. The problem is, I feel pretty good the day I get the instillation, but I have to take at least 2 narco pain pills along with Pyridium and muscle relaxers due to the awful pain in my urethra from the catheter. The use the smallest catheter and a lidocaine urojet.

Then, after about 24 hours my bladder may feel a little better, sometimes I get pinching spasms, but the really bad pain is in my urethra. It's almost not worth getting instillations if I have to take so many pain medications to deal with just one instill. I'm in pain for 2-3 days after an instill.

My doc suggested possibly doing a ureathral stretching under anesthesia. That sounds incredibly painful too.

I got an instill 2 days ago and I'm still in pain. I'm on my 2nd dose of narco, Pyridium and lidocaine. I'll probably use a heating pad all day today again.

I really hate getting the instills and i really think they cause me to flare.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I take Elmiron, but I don't think it helps much. Aloe Vera capsules hurt. I might try lyrics or neurontin again, they hurt me years ago.

Ice, heat, lidocaine, Pyridium, muscle relaxers, baking soda water, very bland diet and narco pain meds help me function the most. I also have vulvadynia & fibromyalgia.

I always test negative for a bladder infection.
          We are all so different. I have IC and urethritis, this makes it difficult to tolerate any catheters. I have more pain after the treatments and it takes me a very long time to recover. Lidocaine makes the burning worse,especially coming out. I tried to explain this to my doctors but he insists installations are the only way I will improve. I believe if we listen to our body, it gives us clues on what works and what does not. Hope you feel better soon.
          William Ellery Channing:
          Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.

Comment

Working...
          X