Trouble urinating, with increased pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble urinating, with increased pain

Hi - I have been reading all the messages about DMSO as I plan to have it this month. My question is has any one else have trouble urinating, I wake up in the night and feel I have to go, but am unable to do so. The pain is really intense. I walk around and drink water to try to get it started. This happens about 2-3 times in the night. I finally go but the pain is really BAD. It has only happen a few time during the day, most always at night. I doing breathing exercises to try to relax. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for all your information regarding DMSO Im a little mixed on whether to go for it. Good Health to you all and thanks for any replys. BIJO

You may have some swelling with inflammation. Sometimes just sitting in a little warm water will help relax those muscles so you can urinate --- and if you need to, let it go in the tub.

The important thing to remember is to avoid straining, which only makes it worse.

Sending an encouraging hug,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi Brat and Donna,
      Thank you for your reply to my posting. I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem, dont get me wrong, I wish this problem on no one, but I was quite worried about it. I will try the warm water Donna, thanks so much for your replys.
      Wishing you all GOOD Health Bijo

Comment

Hi bijo,
        I have this as well, its urinary retention, and it can drive you nuts. I learned to self cathederize and then when the retention kicks in I can still empty my bladder. I am finding that pelvic floor therapy is helping alot with retention, that may be something to consider. Some medications can make retention worse (i.e. paxil) so that might be worth looking at too.

If you have pain meds, its worth it to take them at night because they can help to relax the muscles and avoid retention.

Still, self cathing is a great back up, I'd go nuts without it.

Take care,
        Cath hi
        One day at a time

Comment

Hi there... I have retention too. Not fun!! I will have to try the warm bath for that too, as Donna suggested!! Also, if I am feeling that I am retaining, I do like Cath said and take a pain pill at night. This really does help!! They help me sleep, and also when I do get up I find it is easier to pee.

Jen
          Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
          *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
          *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
          *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I have retention too and have to watch the meds I take because so many of them cause retention. I finally did learn to self-cath, which has been such a blessing for me but before I did that, I'd have to stand in a hot shower.....ask you dr about self-cathing. That urine laying in there just makes you prone to UTI's.......

many many hugs~
            teri
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

I never had this problem til botox but it's a problem now. I found I can place my fingertips over my bladder and gently push in kneading movements like a cat does until I empty my bladder. The little extra bit of pressure from my fingertips sure beats straining or cathing and works very well for me. Many people with spinal cord injuries or neurological problems/illnesses empty their bladders this way. I can't believe I would still be getting this effect from botox 7 mos. out. I'm wondering if this new development is caused by the huge ruptured disc I have at L4-5 and a smaller one at L5-S1 that increased over the last year. I'm having a laminectomy Mon. so we'll see what happens after I get the disc's fixed.
              Dianne

My bellydance "sisters" , our dogs, and me.

Comment

Dianne!! I tried your "kneading like a cat" trick today and it helped me pee. I sat for a few minutes on the toilet doing this when I felt as if I could be retaining, and I was able to urinate after a bit. It was much easier than straining..and I will do it more often if it means I do not need to cath! Thanks!!

Jen
                Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

i have had the same problem all my life even before ic and now my daughter when she gets a uti which isn't offen thank the dear lord above kissing we had to sit in warm tub of water to let it go after that i take a shower and wash the tub very well, but like donna said you dont need to be straining i still have to strain some to start my urine which i know isnt good at all.
                  i take the heparin and marcaine dmso treatments at home and they have been a god sent to me. when i did them in the office for some reason they didn't help me i guess because i'm more relaxed at home even my husband can give me a treatment i showed him how. without hurting me.
                  after a treatment my bladder doesnt hurt anymore.
                  right now i can't take them until i get the okay from my doctor because i have a uti and they told me to hold off. but i have been really thinking about taking one because they do help me so much. every one is diff. so they may not help you but after two years of trying diff things the dmso has helped me the most. right now because i have a very painful uti i'm taking demrol for pain when normally i take a perocet 10.325 but this infection was diff. from the others with more pain but i'm starting to feel better now i have been on leviquin for four days now 500 mg and i have six more days to take it i pray to the dear lord above i go back into remission again.
                  if you go for the treatment i pray they help you as much as they have me.
                  sending you hugs and prayers for a better tomorrow please keep us updated on how you are. grouphug
                  Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                  1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                  2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                  3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                  4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                  5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                  5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                  6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                  7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Hello:

DO NOT PUSH OR STRAIN TO VOID OR TO HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT! Also, constipation can make your symptoms flare. Look into Pelvic Floor Dysfunction therapy. I have a Pelvic Floor Dysfunction fact sheet. If anyone would like a copy, please email me privately at [email protected].

Dr. Robert Moldwin recommends 2mg of Valium, three times a day. This may help to relax the pelvic floor muscles and allow you to void.

If you are constipated, ask your doctor if you can take Magnesium 250mg - 500mg per day. It is a mineral and I find the best source is GNC (General Nutrition Centers), they usually don't add fillers and/or coloring to their vitamins and supplements.

Many drugs that we take for IC can cause urinary retention. Some examples are, Elavil, Atarax, and narcotics. Check with your doctor if you suspect that the medications are playing a role. If so, reduce the dosage or discontinue the medication and look for a replacement medication/therapy/nutritional supplement.

The contents in this post are provided for informational purposes only. The contents are not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition.

Best wishes, ICB
                    Last edited by ICB; 07-06-2006, 05:43 PM.

Comment

BIJO,
                      I have problems with retention and went through the same thing that you are going through. The worst thing that you can do is strain because this will cause more pain, inflammation and irritation. At the time, I didnt realize that, all I wanted to do was pee. In my opinion you need to contact your urologist and get an appointment as soon as you can get in. I was sitting on the toilet, especially at night, straining and crying, just dribble a little and be back 5 minutes later. Not getting any sleep and in terrible discomfort. I went to see my urologist and of course as soon as I walked in the door they handed me the "cup" to go pee which I did. The nurse did an ultrasound to check the residual and asked me to go to the restroom again which I did and I had 700 cc's of residual urine. The urologist was very concerned saying that retention like that could cause urine to back up into the kidneys and cause kidney damage and also with the bladder so full it can cause spinal cord compression because the bladder will press against your spine. That is where alot of the lower back pain comes in that you are too probably experiencing. I know if you have not had to do self catherization that it sounds scary but after you get the hang of it, it is easy and will make you feel so much better. This is what I had to do every four hours for three months. I had to keep records of my residual amounts to take to my follow up appointment and after doing a urine and the ultrasound my residuals had gone down so I am now doing self catherization at bedtime and as needed. My residuals were very high in the beginning but they started coming down after self catherization for awhile. Your urologist may not decide to take this route but I would at least call and talk to the nurse and see about an appointment. I just went through a recent flare up and more retention because of a decongestant that I was taking. Also, I take Roxicodone sometimes for more severe pain and it causes more retention for me. My urologist also took me off of the Detrol XL that I was taking which contributed to the retention problem. I know what you are going through and it is terrible. I hope that you can see your urologist and get some relief. Like I said, IF your urologist wants you to do self catherization it isnt as bad as it seems and in the end, at least for me, it has been a life saver. Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X