Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a special way of doing this at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using the urojets at least twice a day for about six months now and I have never had one break. I wonder how hard your doctor is pushing on the end of the glass tube containing the lidocaine. It isn't hard to push the glass tube into the dispenser, you can use just one finger on the end of the tube to push it in. The tube also has to be screwed into the dispenser correctly. All you have to do is take the yellow caps off the glass tube and the dispenser, put the tube on top of the dispenser end with the needle, and turn the tube one and a half times. Do not turn the tube more than one and a half times because the lidocaine will shoot out towards your hand and not into your urethra. After you have the tube with the lidocaine screwed in correctly, just push the tube gently into the dispenser and the lidocaine will go into your urethra.
    If you are having a problem finding a pharmacy that has the urojets, go to your local Wal-Mart pharmacy and they can order them for you. There are 25 urojets in a box, and they must be ordered by the box.

Comment

I will let my Uro take care of calling the pharmacy for the lidocaine bottles. They really do not like me there. have argued with them before on things so I am the evil customer. Bad part they are the only pharmacy around who will fill orders like this. I have asked the other pharmacys to fill things for the heparin and they say go to this one. How much water do you add to the heparin? Think my liquid amount wouldn't fit in a syringe unless they have really big ones.

I can get the urojet at the pharmacy. Just Uro doesn't want me to use one for saftey reasons. I thought it would be eaiser and there is more in one of those then the little plastic tube. The urojet also has a smoother tip which isn't so painful getting into the erurthra. It's funny when I watch him do the urojet. He can get it all set up with one hand.

Comment

Originally posted by waterflow
        I will let my Uro take care of calling the pharmacy for the lidocaine bottles. They really do not like me there. have argued with them before on things so I am the evil customer. Bad part they are the only pharmacy around who will fill orders like this. I have asked the other pharmacys to fill things for the heparin and they say go to this one. How much water do you add to the heparin? Think my liquid amount wouldn't fit in a syringe unless they have really big ones.

I can get the urojet at the pharmacy. Just Uro doesn't want me to use one for saftey reasons. I thought it would be eaiser and there is more in one of those then the little plastic tube. The urojet also has a smoother tip which isn't so painful getting into the erurthra. It's funny when I watch him do the urojet. He can get it all set up with one hand.
        I would say he has had more than just a little practice. I do not add any water. It is just the receipe in my signature. I use a 30cc syringe. The receipe is 11cc so there is plenty of room in th syringe. I use a pediactric feeding tube as a catheter. It has a rounded tip. I know a lot of ICers use a low friction catheter. I self-cathed at the hospital for a surgery. The cath was 16fr and it did not look like it had the same tip that the ped. cath does.
        TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
        My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
        Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
        I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
        Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
        Louann

Comment

Newbie at Home Instillation, Need Help!

I am confused as to when I should do my first rescue home
          instillation, since my IC flare symptoms seem so different this year.
          I can't tell if this is IC or not.

I noticed today that my urine flow/amount is very small, even though
          I have had 10 glasses of water today.

I used a Lidocaine urojet to calm my Urethra, a muscle relaxer,
          some Pyridium, and Antihistimine Vistaril.

In the past, I would literally be fine one day, and the next morning
          wake up with horrible Urethra pain like a fire was all the way up there
          and in the bladder. It was very intense - brought me to tears.

I have just had 5 1/2 months of Pelvic Floor Therapy at Johns Hopkins,
          every week - still going. And this has seemed to changed my "symptoms".

I know all of you pros on here have been doing these Instillations
          at home 2 to 3 times a week, but for me, I am scared since it has
          been a year since they taught me.

And also, I don't know WHEN is the correct time to do it.
          Wait to see if I get worse, or nip it in the bud?

Thanks for any help,
          Newbie at Rescue
          Diane

Comment

My urogyn says not to let the symptoms get ahead of you. I must say when I instill at the first symptoms I can take care of it that day and everything is back to "normal". If I wait until the symptoms get worse, it takes 3-4 days of instills to get back to normal.
            My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
            Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
            Louann

Comment

Originally posted by L. Thomas View Post
              My urogyn says not to let the symptoms get ahead of you. I must say when I instill at the first symptoms I can take care of it that day and everything is back to "normal". If I wait until the symptoms get worse, it takes 3-4 days of instills to get back to normal.
              Same here. When I skip them b/c I am having a good day, (or even if I skip it b/c my pain meds are taking care of the problem), then I notice I flare a few days later. So, I try to do them about every other day to stay on top of things. Also, I do them before or after sex, since that generally causes me to flare. Or, if I am going to do something else that usually causes me to flare, (like exersize, or driving in a car for more than 30 min or so, etc.). But, everyone is different. Do you keep a pain diary? If not, that is a great way to find out what your personal triggers are for flares, and then do your instills before you do something that is unavoidable, but usually causes a flare.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
              Amy

Comment

Originally posted by waterflow View Post
                I did the heparin/lido instill this morning and pain wise it isn t' the same as when the uro does it. Pain is better after he does it and it is some what worse after I did it. Getting sharp pains in the bladder too. I did the same way uro does it so does it take a while to do it pain free? I also cleaned the cath with peroxide. Then rinsed it well. also cleaned the "area" with it.

I had a PM to send you but your mailbox is full. Click on User CP on the blue tool bar. Click on "List Messages" and delete some of the PM so you can receive more messages.

Louann

Comment

My box isn't full.

Comment

Working...
                  X