Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you hold meds from instill in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you hold meds from instill in?

Hey Ladies.
    I was just curious how long do you ladies who do instills using heperin,lidoaine, and saline hold the medication in? My uro said I could hold it for up to two hours if I could, but at least to hold it for 30 minutes if I can, but to pee when I had to or if I was uncomfortable.
    Just wanted to see how long you ladies hold the meds in? Thanks
    Jen

I use heparin, marcaine, sodium bicarbonate - I hold it from 50min to an hour. Longer than that I get burning....
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

My urogynecologist was concerned that I hold it at least 20 mins but that has never been a problem. He said it really didn't matter how long to hold it. He said to hold it as long as it was comfortable. It is fairly common for me to hold it for 2 hours. Honestly when he said any length of time was ok I never worried about the length of time. I would do what your doctor tells you. There are so many different recipes I do whatever my urogyne says. I have been doing instill for 3 years and I haven't had problems even when I go sleep and wake up 3 hours later to go to the bathroom.

Just remember instills can be very different and can effect people differently.
      TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
      My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
      Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
      I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
      Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
      Louann

Comment

I was under the understanding that it was 20 mins. I know when I took my mom for the dmso's they told her 20 mins.
        Maybe the info from the pharmacy would give you a better description.
        'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Originally posted by tigger_gal View Post
          I was under the understanding that it was 20 mins. I know when I took my mom for the dmso's they told her 20 mins.
          Maybe the info from the pharmacy would give you a better description.
          I have never had DMSO but it is quite different from rescue instillations. I can see that holding DMSO instills could be painful. Most of the post I have read talk about the pain of having DMSO instills and instills that have steriods in them.
          Last edited by L. Thomas; 05-12-2007, 03:58 PM.
          My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
          Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
          Louann

Comment

Most of the post I have read talk about the pain of having DMSO and instills that have steriods in them
            well no wonder they hurt then, I had no idea... and lets not forget the nasty taste and the garlic smell. so this then would be a different typr of instill.. thanks for the up date pn the difference of the 2.
            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Originally posted by tigger_gal View Post
              well no wonder they hurt then, I had no idea... and lets not forget the nasty taste and the garlic smell. so this then would be a different typr of instill.. thanks for the up date pn the difference of the 2.
              I hope I haven't confused anyone. DMSO instills don't have steroids in them. There are some instills that have steriods in them. These 2 types of instill are the ones that I know hurt many people.

Rescue instills are painful to some. I know that some have the exact same recipe as me and the instills are very painful for them. I have never had pain from my instills.

Louann

Comment

My doctor says 90 minutes for heparin, lidocaine and sodium bicarb. I find the instills very comfortable, my bladder feels really good with all that lidocaine, but I'm fortunate in that I respond very well to lidocaine and never have problems with it. I understand it can burn some people.

I usually manage the 90 minutes. I do the instills 2 or 3 times a week at home, and whenever I need a rescue.
                Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I held the DMSO for 20 minutes & the hep cocktail for as long as I could. Sometimes 3 hours. Kathi
                  One Day At A Time
                  Kathi

Comment

I try to hold it 30-45 with heparin, lidocaine and sodium bicarbonate if my bladder will allow me. Somtimes the pressure is just too great and I can only hold it for about 20 min. 20 minutes is all I could with dsmo a couple years ago.
                    TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
                    IC Symptoms began in early 2001
                    Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
                    Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
                    Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
                    Wed Jan 28 2009
                    (Ice Storm Accident)
                    2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
                    Other Injuries
                    Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
                    Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
                    Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
                    Elmiron, Pyridium

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. I have been holding the meds for an hour to hour in half if I can. That is what I was told to do, just wanted to see if that was safe to do or the norm when it comes to the rescue instills. Thanks again ladies, you are the best.
                      Jen

Comment

When I was doing DMSO treatments I was told anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, if I can hold it that long.

Comment

When I was doing DMSO, I was told to hold it for at least 30 minutes. I would be shaking and crying by the end of that, it was so painful (it also didn't help me)
                          Now I do heparin instills; they actually give relief as soon as they are in and I usually have no problems holding 90 minutes to 2 hrs.

Comment

The NP told me to hold the heparin instill for at least an hour, but I found it hurt my urethra to pee it out so I usually held it much longer. About 3 hours most times. I never did home installations, my belly is so big, and in the way, I don't think I would have the coordination to do them. I couldn't get rid of the DMSO fast enough, and of course my doctor told me that "pain is not indicated with this treatment" What I wouldn't give to instill some DMSO into that guy.
                            I was born with one ureta not attached to it's kidney, I've been poked and prodded for so long. I never had "private" parts. I had constant infections and took low dose preventive antibiotics into my teens.

DX with IC July 1993 after seeing 3 different Uro's and finally switching Primary care doctors and affiliated hospitals.

I have 2 beautiful daughters, the oldest has been in heaven since she was 14 when she was hit by a car The youngest is 20 now. She has had one UTI. She went into complete panic that she would end up like me. Now she has some idea of what the pain is like. Poor kid has been forced to know where every bathroom in Disney World is.

Comment

Working...
                            X