DMSO - what should I do next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMSO - what should I do next?

I've had 3 DMSO instills, and my Uro says most of his patients see improvement by now. He doesn't think it's worth continuing since I'm not better. I'm confused 'cuz I thought it took 6 or more sessions to see results.

My urgency/frequency is a bit less, but pain is a bit more. Should I insist on continuring or write off DMSO as another failure in my LONG list of treatments tried/

It took me about 6-8 DMSO treatments before I started to feel better so maybe you shouldn't give up yet. I have been using DMSO every 3 weeks for the past 15 years and it has been a lifesaver for me.

Comment

It took me 5 before I saw any results. Talk to him & ask to try it a few more times. Kathi
      One Day At A Time
      Kathi

Comment

My improvement happened about a week after the last of 7 once a week DMSO cocktail instillations. I had become very sad thinking they weren't helping & then I suddenly felt better. After that I had them once every 4-6 weeks.

That said, I had improvement, but I still didn't feel well, so the next summer I tried heparin rescue instillations. Those work a lot better for me, so I learned to do them at home & they're one of my main treatments now.

I'd see if you can try the DMSO a little longer & then see how you feel a week or so later....
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I agree with some of the other ladies - try a few more weeks of instills if you can.

Whenever I need a cycle of DMSO treatments, I always find relief at the tail end of the 6-8 weeks....I would not write it off until you had a whole cycle under your belt.

Good luck with everything!

Hugs,
          Beth

PS I just finished my 6th instill of a DMSO cycle this week and feel TONS better than March/April!
          IC diagnosis 1999
          Meds: Elmiron
          hydroxyzine hcl
          DMSO as needed
          valium as needed
          librax 3x day

TENS therapy

Thanks to all on the boards - YOU have helped more than I can say!

A person's true wealth is the good he or she does in the world.

Comment

Working...
          X