Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instill and weird going ons with urethra

Hi everyone.
    I have been having instills now for a couple of weeks, and I had a new nurse yesterday using a new type of catheter (sp?). Boy was I glad to be a guinea pig. Well she tried this new catheter, and my lower abdomen started killing me, never before have I had that type of pain with a cath. Anyways, I am still sore I think where my urethra is... now here is the weird thing. When I go to the bathroom, no problem, until I am finishing up and then it is like bubbles or air is in my urethra and the urine comes out crazylike. It is not painful but a little scary...
    Has anyone had this happen? I want to make sure she didn't do anything crazy with the catheter yesterday and damaged my urethra.

Thanks for your help!
    Medicines:
    Synthroid 125 mcg
    Allegra
    Hydrocodone (when needed)
    Prosed DS (expensive!!!)
    Elavil (generic) ~12.5mg going to 25mg

elevated liver enzymes on Elmiron so Elmiron is no more........

Elavil has given me back my life. I still have flare ups now and again and instills help with those. Currently I am having instills of heparin and marcaine.

Its possible that a bit of air managed to get pushed up into the urethra during the instill. I've had this happen after an instill and also after a cystoscopy.
    If it continues more than a day or two, gets worse or you start passing blood, a visit to your DR would be warranted.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Diana
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Diana said exactly what I was thinking...usually a little bit of air is in the cath along with some tiny air bubbles in the instill solution. Every time I do a home instill I get those funny noises.
      *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
      *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
      *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Hi!
        Yes, I've had this happen! I get weekly instills. As long as my nurse does it, all it well and I never hurt. If my doctor gets a hold of the catheder (
        God bless him - wonderful wonderful doctor, horrible at instills) I get pain for like 24-48 hrs and "bubbles" in my urethra.

It always goes away though, you will be fine

Comment

Thanks for all your responses! It is always scary when you have noises coming out of you that sound like a balloon leaking air....
          Medicines:
          Synthroid 125 mcg
          Allegra
          Hydrocodone (when needed)
          Prosed DS (expensive!!!)
          Elavil (generic) ~12.5mg going to 25mg

elevated liver enzymes on Elmiron so Elmiron is no more........

Elavil has given me back my life. I still have flare ups now and again and instills help with those. Currently I am having instills of heparin and marcaine.

Comment

instill

i am getting ready to have instill Monday do they hurt?

Comment

Traci,

For caths-
              For some people they hurt others they don't. Just don't tense up. They hurt for me most of the time sometimes not. My urethra is very very sensistive though. Most of the time it isn't bad. It is only bad sometimes like last week when I went to pee for the first time after the cath. I tend to bleed and have alot of pain even if I take a pyridium before I try. Sometimes I don't have any pain when I pee after an instill though so it just depends. Mine is always the worst on the first instill but the 2nd and some on get better with less pain. That is probably do to the fact I wait until I am in soo much pain before I have the 6 week protocol done. Anyway, goodluck! They really aren't too bad, most people from what I have heard don't have pain from instills/caths it is just some.

For Instills -
              Most people say the instills themselves are soothing. I get pain in my bladder as it is coating it the first time. The subsequent visits usually don't hurt the bladder as far as that goes in my opinion.

Krisi
              Eeeks I am getting another instill today.

Comment

other thread

OOPs I put my heparin instill experience under the rescue instill thread. Maybe it could be moved? PV
                I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Working...
                X