No announcement yet.

Instillations when having your period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instillations when having your period?

Maybe this is a silly question and belongs in a different subsection. If so, let me know

I was just wondering if the instillations will/can be done when you're having your period? If so, can you use tampons?
    I heard/read that during cystoscopy they sometimes prefer no tampon, so I was wondering if that goes for the instillations as well.

I can ask the urologist on Friday, but I'm not sure if it's just an appt to talk about this treatment, or that one will be done as well. And I'm close to having my period right now, so I'd just like to know. I hope someone can tell me

Some urologists will do instillations when you have your period, some will not. I do home instillations and I generally do not do them during that time of the month. I'm prone to infections under the best of circumstances, so not worth the risk, but I'm lucky - my IC symptoms go way down when I have my period, so it's not a problem.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

My doctor's office will perform them during my period. They said if I was comfortable with that, they were too. (I think I've had one during that time of the month.) I wouldn't recommend going in with a tampon, but really it's just a matter of asking your doctor what s/he is willing to do or not do. You could always call before your appointment on Friday.
      ----------------------
      -Amanda
      34 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
      diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010

Current meds:
      Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Gabapentin 600 mg, Myrbetriq 25mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Mircrogestin, capsaicin cream (for vulva)
      Other past treatments:
      IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
      Tried and didn't work:
      Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture

Comment

Originally posted by kadi View Post
        my IC symptoms go way down when I have my period, so it's not a problem.
        I wonder why? Most ICers flare during their period. I myself have not noticed any difference with my IC, except I'm generally more uncomfortable during my period, but thats expected.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Suppose that it may be best to just call the urologist's office and ask.
          The thing is, they rescheduled me due to my pains, so I hope that they won't tell me that 'in that case we need to make another appointment.'
          But I guess that's just wait and see.

Comment

I was able to get an instill done when I was near the end of my period. Tampon was not preferred, and the nurses are used to any yuck factor they're faced with.
            I hope you can still do it if it's helping you
            21 years old
            dx: severe OAB, mild/moderate IC, depression, PTSD, agoraphobia, chronic fatigue, IBS, peripheral neuropathy

♥ looking for a way or medication to help stop spasms ♥

Comment

Well I called yesterday, and the nurse said that it wouldn't be a problem:
              "of course that's possible, the vagina and urethra are two different things"

I was about to say: "uhuh...why don't you explain that to all the docs and nurses who keep sticking a cath tube in 'the wrong opening and insist that it's placed correctly ", but I decided to just say that I knew, but that I heard/read different things from different hospitals and couldn't find any information from their own.
              She made me feel like I was a 12year-old who doesn't know female anatomy yet

But at least, I don't have to worry about not being able to get my treatment. Not that I'm excited about having my period right at the same time, but well. One has to make choices, I suppose

Comment

I have been having the instill done many years and it seems last few years Mother Nature seems to want to go along with me. Sometimes she arrives right when I get to the Uro' office. My Uro (Who is a male) does the instill and he said he didn't care if I used a tampon or not. Doesn't bother him at all. It sure did me at the beginning and I have had to start using tampons (finally figured out how to use them 3 years ago..go figure...ha). Think it is harder on the "tampon wearing person" then the doc or nurses.

Comment

I got my period yesterday, so the worst will be over for me on Friday, should the instillations start then.

But, it's good to read about your experiences in this, it makes me feel a little less 'oh my gosh, what if!'-ish.

Comment

Working...
                  X