Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L. Thomas
    replied
    I never knew how good my insurance was until my daughter had surgery on her insurance. She had the surgery while on our insurance a couple of years ago and I think we paid about $200 for the surgery. She is too old to be on our insurance now. Her surgery cost almost $3000 with her insurance.

I think I have posted my cost for instills. My insurance covers home instills and in the MD’s office. In the office I pay $13 but the office is 90 miles away. That’s why I do home instills. I may have mentioned my cost but we have a $5 copay for generic. It will also cover maintenance meds. for 90days at 30day copay. My urogyn writes the script for 1 daily so meds for 90 treatments cost $15.

To get the catheters and syringes covered I have to use a durable goods supplier (wheelchair diabetic supplies) The catheters are covered and they cost about $0.50 and the syringe cost $0.10 (I think). The needles are not covered. I have had a time finding a supplier for needles. But my durable supplies provider will sell me the needles at cost..$15 per 100.

If I do not use durable supplier the syringes are $1 and the catheters are $4 each. I try to get people to check and see if supplies are covered by insurance if you use a durable good supplier. It was something that I found out from the pharmacist. I guess that is what is good about a small town.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
    My insurance company doesn't cover home instillations, but they are willing to cover the greater expense of instills in my doctor's office.

Donna
    SAme here, Donna! They were paying $225 each for me to get them at the Drs. office 3 x a week for 4 years! Yet they are balking at paying the $100 a month for me to do them at home. Doesnt make any sense at all, does it?!!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    My insurance company doesn't cover home instillations, but they are willing to cover the greater expense of instills in my doctor's office.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    replied
    Thanks Amy. I hope your insurance company covers this eventually. Most insurance companies cover IBS meds...why not IC meds? I guarantee it'd be cheaper for them to cover the home instills than to pay for a urology visit everytime. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    My insurance wouldnt cover my home instills either. I have appealed, but havent heard back from them yet. However, mine are much less expensive than yours. Mine cost about $3 per instill. I do save money by sterilizing and and reusing my caths. However, if my insurance company decides to cover them, I will start using a new one each time, just to be safe, since I am pretty prone to infections.

Right now I take a low dose of Macrobid daily to ward off the infections and that has worked very well. (I have only had one or two since I started the Macrobid, but before that, I had 10 last year alone.)

My Dr. prescribed my instills every day, but I do them approx every other day, since doing them daily was too irritating to my urethra. But, I do get alot of relief from the instills. More often than not, I get relief instantly. (It just doesnt last long enough. )

If you do end up moving to Germany, I hope you find a kind Dr. who is knowledgable about IC and compassionate.

Hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• L. Thomas
    replied
    I have been doing home instills since 2004. I started with 3 a week and had to increase to one a day for a while. Then every other day. On the average I would say every three to 5 days now.

I coumpound the meds at home. PM me if you have anything I can help with.

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Trishann
    Really happy that the medicine is helping you and the relief that the insurance is paying for it. The cost of medicine is so high and there is no way to pay without insurance or some kind of help. Glad you are not under that burden now.

Hugs, Trishann
    Yes, insurance is a blessing. Also, the pharmacist we found who knew how to mix it because his daughter has IC was also a blessing. All the other compound pharmacies were saying they did not carry the heparin in 4000ml vials. Well, apparently it does not come that way...only in 2000ml and this pharmacist called and had the niceness to ask the doctor if he could just give me twice as much. By the time I found out SOMEONE was working out a way to mix the medication *he taught us how to mix it*** I had been shaking and my BP was 240/98...with pain meds...so I was a nervous wreck to say the least. Anyway, the insurance paid for the heparin which was most expensive and for 25 doses it was about $50 because we had to pay for the Lidocaine. So, a blessing this was!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Trishann
    replied
    Really happy that the medicine is helping you and the relief that the insurance is paying for it. The cost of medicine is so high and there is no way to pay without insurance or some kind of help. Glad you are not under that burden now.

Hugs, Trishann

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    replied
    Originally posted by topcop229
    April,
    I saw in another post that mamacox6977 is in Germany as her husband is stationed there. She commented that she had not been able to find a good uro there yet. (It's in the Help! I'm in a Flare section). Maybe you should PM her about the docs/ meds in Germany. Good luck!
    Thanks. I will do that. I really appreciate the information. Also, thank you all for your support. My husband is helping me do another instill at home tonight when gets here. Just also wondering, I think it's different for everyone and the doctor told me I could do them everyday if needed, but what's an average of how often I am going to need them. Today I can definitely tell a difference in my pain. It's in my hips and top of legs, but the bladder IS NOT spasming and no pain there today...or retention! YAY!

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    That's great, April!

Leave a comment:

• topcop229
    replied
    April,
    I saw in another post that mamacox6977 is in Germany as her husband is stationed there. She commented that she had not been able to find a good uro there yet. (It's in the Help! I'm in a Flare section). Maybe you should PM her about the docs/ meds in Germany. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Bessie
    replied
    Yeah......glad you have gotten some relief and your insurance company is doing the right thing :woohoo:

Leave a comment:

• topcop229
    replied
    So glad the instills are helping and that your insurance company decided to cooperate as well!

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    I'm glad the rescue instillations helped you!

Leave a comment:

• aprilchen
    replied
    Possibly. It depends on if my husband gets into a school next year that is in MD or if not, we're putting Ramstein and our first choice for AFB's. It'd be kinda cool to live over there for a couple years AS long as they can take care of my medical needs...and my husband feels the same way, too.

Take Care and have a great day!
    April

Leave a comment:

Working...
X