This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Helpful Hints For Home Instillations

Thanks, that is very helpful...I will try your method! How long do you give it a shake? Also, do you do the instillation sitting up or lying down?
    Last edited by Pillowfight; 10-02-2016, 04:47 PM.
    Diagnosed with IC in 2005, PFD in 2016. My sister has had IC for 21 years and our mother over 30. 66 years of bladder fun combined!

Comment

Originally posted by Pillowfight View Post
      Thanks, that is very helpful...I will try your method! How long do you give it a shake? Also, do you do the instillation sitting up or lying down?
      I shake the mixture for a minute or so. I sit on a low step-stool to do instillations with a mirror under me and good light so I can see. It was very hard for me to find my urethra before I figured out this method. I take the step-stool (which folds up) with me when I travel. Makes a big difference!

Comment

Awesome. How often do you do it?
        Diagnosed with IC in 2005, PFD in 2016. My sister has had IC for 21 years and our mother over 30. 66 years of bladder fun combined!

Comment

Every day! And if I have a flare that is making it hard for me to sleep, I will do another instillation of lidocaine only. Going on 5 years now.

Comment

Oh geez! And it's never gotten better?! Thanks again for the tips. Is there anything else you think I should ask doctor today for doing home installations...? Some people have mentioned heparin. I don't have burning symptoms, just ur

Comment

Originally posted by Pillowfight View Post
              Oh geez! And it's never gotten better?! Thanks again for the tips. Is there anything else you think I should ask doctor today for doing home installations...? Some people have mentioned heparin. I don't have burning symptoms, just ur
              Well, it's better in that I'm not in constant, uncontrolled pain anymore. I am able to be almost completely pain free with daily instillations, amitriptyline, and a severely restricted diet. I think my condition is worse than most people's, though. I haven't encountered anyone on these forums who has to restrict their diet as much as I do.

I've had the best luck with topical lidocaine and elmiron. I think heparin is similar to Elmiron in function and may be a lot cheaper. It might be worth trying depending on what your doctor recommends. I very much recommend getting a prescription for lidocaine jelly to put on your urethra before and after doing the instillation. That helps a lot if you find the catheter irritates your urethra. Also, if you find your urethra hurts after instillations, you might try pediatric catheters. They are smaller—that's what I use. (LoFric)

Good luck to you. I know it's overwhelming at first, but if instillations give you good relief it's worth it and you'll become a pro in no time.

Comment

Working...
              X