Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do instillations cause infections from cathing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jen74
    replied
    Hi Donna.
    Thanks for the info on the colodial silver. That is pretty interesting. I have not taken it yet, and probably wont after reading all that.
    As far as the instillations, I am very very clean and cautious, probably to the point of being ridiculous, but I am not taking any chances. I cannot risk a UTI as I do not tolerate antibiotics at all and am allergic to most.
    Thanks again for that info, I appreciate it.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I would encourage you to read the information at http://quackwatch.org/search/webglim...lloidal+silver before considering taking colloidal silver.

I have done home instillations and self catheterization with only one infection over a long period. If you're cautious about doing a clean procedure you could go for ages with no problem.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Hi Dixie.
    I am in a dilemma right now bacause of this. I do the instillations at home once a week and was taking a low dose anti-B, but the anti-B messed uo my bowels reeeeal bad. I was so backed up and constipated and my bowels would not move. I cannot tolerate anti-b's at all. I am now trying that natural D'mannose powder as it is suppose to prevent UTI's as well. There is also colodial silver which is another natural antibiotic, but I have not tried this one yet.
    Did your doctor tell you why you get so many UTI's? I also seem to be very prone to getting them ever since getting IC.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• Dixiefireball
    replied
    I take ever pre caution I can before I use my installment and still I get a UTI. I'm not going to say Yes My UTI are coming from my installment since I do get a poss. UTI at least once montly, but would urge anyone using the installment to take something to prevent an infection. I would suggest a low dose of anti. at bedtime. or at least that is how I do it. since I tend to get sick off of anti while i'm awake. I know I'm a bit strange.

Good Luck, Best Wishes
    Dixie

Leave a comment:

• L. Thomas
    replied
    I have done home instillations as needed since 2004. For a while I did instills once a day. I have not had any UTI's. I do the things my urogynecologist told me to do regarding cleaning. I have the method I use covered in the link in my signature "helpful hints for home instillation".

Leave a comment:

• verdicries
    replied
    jen,
    i never did self-instills but i did cath for awhile and was always PETRIFIED at the thought of getting an infection...never did but i was always like 'i know i'm getting one! i can feel it!" lol. the doc said as long as you're careful, clean well, etc the chance is minimal. i guess there's always a chance...you're introducing something UP there when stuff usually comes DOWN, ya know? actually the chance of getting an infection from cathing is more from LONG TERM catheterization (having one kept in for awhile) than intermittent. good luck!

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Hi Jen,
    Unfortunately, I can't use anything to clean with except plain water or Purpose cleanser, everything else seems to flare the vulvodynia & cause more burning. And I'm allergic to anything with iodine, like betadine, etc. I don't know what antibiotic they'd give me in the hospital, they said there were a few by IV that are not available in oral form. And they'd have me in hospital for 24 hours to do it. So basically, we won't know if I'm allergic til I get there. And I guess if I am, we'll handle it at that time. So far, though, it's not been an issue. I've managed not to get infections & hope that will continue.

(I'm pretty cautious too about exposure to colds & flus because of this issue too. As a teacher I use tons of Purell & insist the students use it if they blow their noses or sneeze into their hands.)

The situation isn't the greatest, but there's not much choice at this point. Oral meds alone weren't enough to manage the IC & the instillations have given me back a decent quality of life, so they're worth the risk so far...

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Kadi,
    ALso, I was just curious, what would they give you in the hospital if you got an infection? Would they have to give you the anti-B's your allergic to and just give you high doses of prednisone with it to prevent an allergic reaction? How scary. I also became allergic to the anti-Bs just this past year. I use to always take pennicillin when I was younger, and them Bam, I just became allergic. I also just became allergic to erythromycin, and I took that also before in the past. The only anti-b's I can take are cipro really. I mean I can take macrodantin,I am not allergic to it, but it messes my stomach and intestine up real bad where it blocks me up and my digestive tract cannot move it seems.
    I would hate to have to be hospitalized every time I get an infection, I could not afford it. They do have those port things they can use and maybe you could just have a port in and give yourself the anti-b's through the port. I had a friend who had a severe infection and had to stay on IV anti-B's for a couple months. They sent him home with the port. I mean who could really afford to stay in the hospital that long, let along a week. My insurance sucks, so I pray I never have to go into the hospital, because if I do, we will be in debt for a very looooong time.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Thanks ladies.
    Kadi: do you use the pivodine antiseptic before doing your instills? I bought these big q-tips that are soaked in it and I will swipe the urethra area from a top to bottom motion to disinfect the area first before doing the instillation. This is suppose to help prevetn infection as well. I usually just rinse with warm water down there first, then dry myself. Then I urinate, and then I put gloves on ( so does my hubby as he helps me), and then put the pivodine antiseptic stuff on first. I have done the instill when on my period also. I just make sure I use the pivodine stuff , usually doing it three times using a fresh one each time of course.
    I am like you, I am allergic to alot of antibiotics, and not only am I allergic, but they mess up my GI tract something awful! I took a low dose macrodantin last Friday and am soooo constipated and bloated now. I have severe motility issues where my whole digestive tract is to slow, and I believe antibitoics that I took four years ago actually caused this. So, I know what you mean about the Anti-B's. I just dont know what to do. I certainly so not want an infection, that is for sure, but I also need my stomach to be able to function as well. This is rough.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• **Angie**
    replied
    When I did installs I'd take 1 levaquin after. That's what they gave me when I had them done at the Dr office too. I didn't get any infections. Could your tummy handle one pill when you need it?
    I have to eat something before I take the levaquin so one time after having an install done at the Dr I took it home and forgot to take it--no infection.
    Hope you find a way that works.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    I've been doing the home heparin instillations 3-7 times a week for almost 2 years now. I've had only two infections in that time. One was after a bad bout of diarrhea. So, I make it a point not to do an instillation that day if it happens again even if I think I've "cleaned up" well enough. The other one was the only day my physical therapist tried internal pelvic floor work. The ER doctor said that may have caused it, so I never did that again.

Since I'm allergic to all oral antibiotics except Macrobid, I get really nervous about infections. The doctors have told me that if I get any infections Macrobid doesn't work on or if I develop an allergy to Macrobid (also possible since most of my antibiotic allergies started in adulthood), I will have to be hospitalized for IV antibiotics if I need one. So, with that in mind, I take the following precautions with instillations....

1. New catheter every time (yes, it costs more & yes, it may seem wasteful, but with my risk factors, I consider it worth it).
    2. Rinse very well with warm water from the hand held shower head right before instillation
    3. No instillation if I'm on my period or have had the runs.
    4. If I "miss" the urethra & bump the outside, I wash the catheter with really hot running water before I try again.

Hope that info helps--

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Oh boy, I hope you can make it through the weekend. I know stress makes me flare big time also. I hope the weekend will go smoothly for you.
    Well, I have had UTI's in the past. I just had one about three months ago actually. I do get them now and then, so I guess you could say I am somewhat prone to them. I mean I dont get them constantly, but I have had about 6 of them in the last 5 years. Not sure if that is alot or not. But prior to that, I never got UTI's. This stinks, that is for sure. I guess I will see how it goes. Good luck this weekend and hope all goes well.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• GriffsMommy
    replied
    Sure Jen, I wish I was of more help. Are you prone to getting infections? I know that some IC people are and some aren't. Personally I have only had one infection that showed up on a dip stick test when I was in college. All the other dip stick tests my PCP did and the dip sticks and cultures my uro did came back negative.

The only reason I say this is because I personally wouldn't worry so much about infections because I don't seem to be prone to get them but if you are then I can see why you're so worried.

I can't imagine having all of those stomach issues in addition to the IC. I have endo as well as IC but I really think most of my pain is from the IC. Mine is acting up right now and I have no pain meds. I hope my uro will call some more in for me or I'll be out of luck and my parents are coming this weekend. I don't have the best relationship with my dad because he can be a real a** so that could cause a flare all on it's own.

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Thanks Christine.
    I will probably try and do the instill without the antibitoic this week just to see how it goes. I am afriad though because I dont want a UTI, but at the same time, I am so sick now with my stomach from the last one I took and that was Friday. I am sucking down miralax and might even have to take some magnesium citrate if things do not get going better. This stinks. I just wish my body worked better and I did not have all these digestive issues that and dealing with IC is no fun. Thanks again Christine and hope you are feeling well.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• GriffsMommy
    replied
    Jen,
    I don't do the instills but I think there are plenty of people that do them at home so I'm sure someone will speak up. I think the only people that are taking antibiotics on a regular basis like that are the people who actually have a documented history of getting uti's all the time.

Maybe you could ask your dr about not doing the antibiotics because they bother your bowels so much and see how it goes. If you don't get an infection then you would seem to be okay, if you do then maybe you need it? Hope you get some answers. (((hugs)))

Leave a comment:

Working...
X