Stanford Debacle. Moral- stick up for yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanford Debacle. Moral- stick up for yourself

I went to urology at Stanford a few weeks ago, at my mom's insistence. The famous IC urologist in residence there is, appropriately, on sabbatical right now so I would be seeing a different urologist whose experience with IC was unknown. However I was still very interested in his protocol.

The visit itself seemed really promising. The doctor and the uro-gynecologist in training there were both really animated and engaged with me. And positive, which was nice! The doctor suggested a lot of new things I hadn't tried yet. He seemed to have solutions for all my problems. He prescribed me a one-time oral yeast infection medication 'just in case' that was part of the problem. He put me back on birth control under the logic that if I have endometriosis (as it seems I may) this would improve related symptoms, as well as improve the dysmenorrhea that makes my IC so much worse each month. He prescribed me an alternative (imipramine) to the amitriptyline that has been so helpful for my bladder at night but also made me so miserable with side-effects. And lastly, he prescribed a variation on the typical "rescue cocktail" that I'd recently tried twice with my local urologist.

The previous instillations I'd had were three Uracyst instillations in Spain which I was forced to discontinue after losing my job to IC, and two Elmiron/lidocaine/bicarb cocktails I had in my hometown recently. The two cocktails provided a feeling a relief for the first hour, but as soon as I voided, I either felt horrible burning (the first time), or mild burning (second time). Neither time affected my symptoms beyond the first void. So, the Stanford doctor said we'd tried using a different, long-acting analgesic instead of the lidocaine, and we'd also add a steroid to the cocktail for long-term pain management and better absorption of the meds. Also, I'd be learning to self-cath to do it all at home!!!

I was super excited to try all the new stuff, especially the new instill! I hoped that maybe it'd work so well that I wouldn't have to go through with the hydro-distention w/capsaicin I have scheduled for mid-September. I was really looking forward to my appointment with the nurse in two-weeks, but also aprehensive since being catheterized has always been really painful for me.

Anyway, two weeks later I show up and meet the nurse. I double check with her about the contents of the instillation and to my horror she says, "Oh well I haven't heard anything from your doctor so I'll just be giving you the same instillation I always give patients." "Well what is that?" I asked. "The standard cocktail is heparin, lidocaine and bicarb." "Ok, but that's not why I came, I've had that before and it isn't effective for me." "Well it's my protocol and I have no idea what else I would do for you. So that's what we're going to do."

I actually argued with her for the next ten minutes, almost on the brink of tears. But I fought them back and remained calm and straight-forward. "But I can get, and have gotten, that formula in my home town. The reason I came to Stanford, the reason I am here today, is to receive the specific instillation my doctor prescribed me when I met him! As I recall, it included a steroid and a different kind of anesthetic." Instead of admitting that there had been a miscommunication, this straight-up B**** of a nurse fought me. She tried to make me feel stupid. She told me she didn't know what I was talking about, and had never heard of such things. She said they only use a different kind of anesthetic for DMSO instills and that she hadn't used a steroid in an instill in years. She said her protocol was what she did with the IC-expert doctor who was on sabbatical. She kept pushing me to let her give me the instill, saying "You drove all the way up here, it makes sense for you to have it, and maybe next time we can talk to your doctor about the other things."

I was THIS close to caving into her out of desperation, but I held my ground. I said, "Look, it is not my fault that there has been a lack of communication between you and my doctor, but I came here today for the treatment my doctor prescribed, and you're telling me you won't give it to me. Furthermore, the treatment you want to give me is something I've already done and I've found it not to be helpful. If you or he had told me that repeated administration of your protocol instillation was therapeutic even though there were not short-term benefits, I'd go along with you. But the fact is, it is supposed to be a short-term therapy, therefore, why would I want to have it done if I already know it doesn't work?" She just glared at me! So I said, "I'm sorry, but I need to go speak to my mom about this. I don't know what to say to you." Then she said "ok well you better hurry because we have a time limit for this appointment."

Instead of talking to my mom, I marched up to reception, told them "The nurse won't give me the treatment my doctor prescribed" and asked them to print out his notes. THANK GOD his notes proved me right, explicitly stating the medications I had referenced. The nurse then had to apologize to me and said she'd contact the doctor and ask for the formula. Unfortunately, he was in surgery all day and was unable to be reached. So I just had to leave. She called me back and apologized, saying the doctor had given her the pertinent information now and I could make another appointment to come in.

I don't really know what to do now since I definitely don't feel good about this woman, and want someone I trust to teach me how to self-cath, since I know its going to be painful. But the rather clueless urologist in my hometown said he'd never heard of teaching patients to self-cath. I'll also probably have to wait another two weeks for the appointment, make the 1.5 hour drive, and pay the hefty Stanford fees. I sort of just feel like giving up on this treatment for awhile, waiting it out until after I get my hydro-distention w/capsaicin...

Just one more pointless battle in the fight against IC. But I was proud of myself for not letting her intimidate me and for sticking to my guns.
    IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
    Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
    Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
    Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
    Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
    Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

I honestly think it could be a good idea to make and keep that appointment. And since there was the mix-up, I suggest you request that one of the visits be listed as a no charge courtesy visit.

And if you can learn to do the instills at home, you won't have to make the trip often.

Sending gentle hugs,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi there,
      Stanford does have a patient advocacy number you can call and talk with someone if there's a problem. I saw it on a special phone outside the cafeteria. BUT, it sounds like you will get what you need now & won't have to call. It's just good to know about if you do have a problem in the future.

The formula I got from Stanford 6 years ago and am still using - is 20,000 units Heparin, 10 cc Marcaine, 5cc Sodium bicarbonate & 25cc sterile water. Lidocaine gave me a horrid burn, but Marcaine does not. I also found that a non-latex catheter causes less burning than a latex one. It took a bit of trial & error, but I've found it worth it. A nurse practitioner at Stanford (she may or may not still be there, this was 6 years ago) taught me to self cath, and while I didn't much like her bedside manner - she was an excellent teacher and these home treatments have saved my career and quality of daily life.

I'd definitely follow through with the next appointment, they're hard to get at Stanford, and the nurse has agreed to do the proper treatment this time. Hopefully it will work & you won't need to spend much time there, you'll get back to enjoying life!
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

going back to stanford

Thanks for the comments and the info on instills!

I am thinking about going back. I'm just frustrated with Stanford because the imipramine they gave me also caused a worsening of my symptoms, and when I did some research I came across a scholarly article specifically saying it provokes urinary dysfunction in IC patients and is not recommended as an Elavil alternative. It was not hard to find this article! I'm just bummed that I paid a fortune and traveled so far to see the 'experts' and ended up being the guinea pig who is responsible for letting them know they're messing up! You just get your hopes up so much for each new treatment option, and to be let down in these ways just seems ridiculous to me because they're totally avoidable if the doctor's would do their jobs. Also I have no way to directly contact the doctor or even the nurse to communicate with them about my treatment.

Kadi- do they automatically give you non-latex catheters during your lesson? Or do you learn with latex ones and have to buy non-latex later on your own? Would you recommend taking a tramadol before the lesson? I already find instills and catheterization to be very painful when I'm not doing them myself! How did you know the instills worked for you? I've had 2 rescue instillations before, and my bladder pain really decreased while the solution was inside, but my frequency didn't improve, and I experienced burning on voiding and no relief afterwards. The doctors and nurses I've spoken to told me that the rescue instills are only good if you feel somewhat immediate relief and haven't encouraged me to keep trying them just to see if I get improvement over time. Also, how dramatic was the improvement in your symptoms from the instillations? Do you feel normal now? Thanks so much! Glad you've found things that work for you and have your life back!
        IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
        Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
        Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
        Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
        Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
        Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

Comment

It seems you have very good communication with your MD and is willing to work to find other treatments for you, but the nurse is not working closely enough with the MD.

I certainly would keep the appointment and be certain to explain the problems dealing with the others in the office. Dr. Dell is always upset with other professionals when they don't explain the proper techniques for instillations. In the initial treatment I was told that I didn't have to do home instillations and he would never allow a patient to start home instillations without the patient being comfortable with the procedures and successfully doing an instillation in the office.

You couldn't possibly be more apprehensive about home instillatioins. I have a link in my signature that you might read that gives information about how I do home instillations.
          TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
          My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
          Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
          I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
          Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
          Louann

Comment

L- I've only met this urologist once, and he didn't suggest further visits with me since it's the nurse who does the instills and acts as intermediary between patients and the dr. I suppose if the instills and hydro/capsaicin don't work I could see him again in a few months from now for more ideas, but it's not like he is "my uro."

I'm interested in your link. Just to be clear- I've had five instills plus a cysto this year. The cathing each time was pretty painful and I was grateful that all I had to do was grit my teeth until it was over. That's where the apprehension comes from. I haven't had the meeting yet where they teach you how to do it yourself.

Comment

You definetly should feel proud for standing up for yourself! What a great job! Best of luck with your follow up.

Comment

Thanks for the support KarenAnne!!!! :-)

Comment

Wow...I was so impressed by how you stood your ground. I might have given in. I do hope your future appointments go well.
                  Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Congrats on being a self advocate! Medical personnel can be so intimidating. Unfortunately, I have also run into some doctors/nurses making errors and have corrected them. Fortunately, none of mine have reacted that way. Mine were more along the lines of getting an antibiotic RX called in that is in my chart that I'm allergic to. That sort of thing.

Hang in there. I wish I could magically cure all our IC problems!

Comment

Originally posted by DaniMSC View Post
                      The cathing each time was pretty painful and I was grateful that all I had to do was grit my teeth until it was over. That's where the apprehension comes from. I haven't had the meeting yet where they teach you how to do it yourself.
                      I am not sure how much pain you had but I do know that before I started cathing myself it was painful (except when I was learning how..no pain then either). Now if I have to be cathed I ask to do it myself. They look a little odd but they have always let me do it myself.
                      My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
                      Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
                      Louann

Comment

That is great news about the self-cathing being painless, and that you are so good at it!! I would really like to learn how if I find an instill solution that helps me.

Comment

Oh, yeah! Cathing myself is no big deal at all, but I really don't like having someone else do it. I just get way more tense and it's much more uncomfortable... I do instills twice a day and it's just a few seconds to put the meds in & within a few minutes I feel much better! Totally worth it!
                          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                          Source - Pinterest
                          "

Current treatments:
                          -IC diet
                          -Elavil 50mg at night
                          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                          -Pyridium if needed,
                          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                          -Managing stress= VERY important!
                          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Once you learn your own body I think you will be very comfortable and will be able to relax more. More people than not are able to self-cath with less pain than when someone else caths them. I know that is the case with me. I am totally relaxed when I cath. I had pain when cathed by someone else.

Louann

Comment

Hello! Like the others, I also wanted to let you know you did a great job of being your own advocate and standing up for yourself. It would have been very intimidating for anyone in your situation. But, you made us all proud, the way you held your ground. Way to go!

In regards to the self cathing, I am also one who has been doing it at home for many years now. I use Marcaine instead of Lidocaine because it doesn't seem to burn me like the Lidocaine did, and also the effects last much longer for me.

Like the others, I am much, much more comfortable cathing myself than I am having someone else do it. When someone else does it, I tense up, and when those muscle clench up, it makes it much more painful. But, doing it yourself doesnt have to be painful at all. My tricks are first of all, I use the smallest cath I can find, wich is a 5 French. (It is about the size of the straw in a child's juice bos. Seriously!) Also, I use 2% Lidocaine jelly as the lube for my cath, and also as a preventative measure against any pain, I use it prior to cathing to numb up things "down there". They make a little cone shaped applicator on the end of the tube that I use to squirt the jelly into my urethra. After I apply the jelly, I made sure to wait about 20 minutes or so before I start self-cathing. This works like a charm! When I do this, I have no pain at all when I self cath! After each application of the lidocaine jelly, I clean and sterilize the applicator to try to prevent UTI's in the future. (By the way, that's the main thing to remember about self cathing......you want everything to be as sterile as possible to prevent UTIs.

Another thing I sometimes do is refrigerate my Lidocaine jelly prior to applying it. (I find this to feel especially good if I am having that burning sensation.) I have never read here about anyone elsre doing that, but when I am in a big-time flare, this really feels soothing to me.

I hope you can get back in soon and hope you dont have to see that same nurse. I agree with Donna that you should talk to them about comping your last visit, considering what transpired. Also, if they have any other NP's there, you might see if you can get one of those to teach you, rather than that last one.

Hope you get to feeling better very soon!

Sending hugs,
                              Amaranthe

Once you learn how to do it, you will soon be an old pro at this. It isn't hard to do at all! (If it was, I sure couldn't do it!)
                              I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
                              The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

Working...
                              X