Nurse had a hard time cathing me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse had a hard time cathing me

The last two instills I've had, the nurse states that she has a hard time advancing the cath. Once it's in she said that it felt that something wasn't letting her advance. She thought it was maybe spasms? I couldn't feel anything. She thought that maybe she should use a bigger cath next time. Maybe the little cath 8 French had too much wiggle room in it. What do you think? I'm bummed cuz I wanna be able to cath myself and this is a bummer.
    symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
    *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
    100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
    Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
    Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
    Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
    My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Hi there,
    I found that an 8Fr catheter was difficult to use and a lot of doctors' offices don't even have them because of that. I found a 12Fr. catheter works much better and doesn't irritate my urethra as much, maybe due to less side-to-side movement and less "bend"?
    Also, catheterizing yourself is much easier than having someone else do it. You learn your own anatomy, so you know where to expect tightness and when to breathe into it. It was actually easier to learn than putting in contact lenses!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

So glad you responded Kadi. I knew you used a bigger cath. The nurse thought the same thing you did. I'll ask for the 12 French next time. Going to see my "2nd opinion" Uro next week in Seattle
      symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
      *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
      100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
      Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
      Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
      Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
      My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

Brandy,

I have a hard time having a cathader to go in if im swollen or the blockage steim thingy is in the way that i explained in the pm. But yes. If i am swollen somedays it takes 20 mins for them to get it in and others is a few seconds.

sorry.
        ~Backwoods gurl
        22 year old Female just trying to feel a little "better" each day!
        Diaganosed with IC possibly in July 11-
        Actually diaganosed with it in September 11
        Frequency- 15-20x's a day
        Flares- More of a constant at this point but when not its normal to last 2-3 hours and maybe 7-8 times a day...
        Good days are short frequencys and maybe 3-5 flares- but rare.
        What im currently taking:
        ~
        Half of the normals what is below is current while I wait to start the LIRIS study! I hope and pray to God, that this may work. I want relief.
        elmiron 100mg 3x's a day
        Tramadol 4x's a day
        hydroxyzine- when needed to sleep
        Methenamine Hippurate 1gm 2x's a day( I keep getting infections so this is to help)
        Tri- Nessa Birth controll pills
        Pryidum three times a day for one or two days then not for 3 or 4 days at all.
        ~
        Strict IC diet... I am diet senitive.
        ~
        Heating pad/ blankets
        ~
        Hot baths... Normally every night and showers in am
        ~
        frozen peas for a ice pack - will be doing often cuz it helps!
        ~
        Having a supportive medical assistant/CNA/Restorative Aid For a mother really helps! and a supportive group of friends and family whom care!

Comment

It is not uncommon for people to use a larger catheter. If I need to be cathed I always ask if I can do it myself. They almost always have a shocked look but they always let me.

I don't have pain if I cath myself because I it so frequently. Some nurses have very good technique and do them frequently. Others rarely cath people and can have problems.

Once I had a nurse insert the catheter into my vagina. I may have been swollen but when I learned how to cath myself I still wonder..How did she miss? How can anyone miss? There are 3 distinct orifices.. the bladder, vagina, anus and the bladder is the highest one.
          TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
          My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
          Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
          I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
          Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
          Louann

Comment

Re: Nurse had a hard time cathing me

The nurse that taught me to do ittaught me to do it by feel. If you know where you clitoris is the urethra is easy to find. If you can't find your clitors I feel bad for you. They taught me ight after I got out of the hospital. I couldn't urinate when the took the foley out. They gave me a choice of putting the folley back in or selff cathing.

Comment

Working...
            X