Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Seed Extract??

Hi Everyone,
    I was reading the free magazine available at Whole Foods this weekend and came across an advertisement for Pumpkin Seed Extract capsules. The ad said that it helps relieve bladder irritation, urinary retention, and reduces frequency. I did a little research online, but I can't tell if it is gimmicky or not.

I did find that there were some research studies in Europe that found, "significant improvements in such symptoms as post-void dribbling, weak urine flow, and time spent urinating were reported in many of the participants". This particularly study was researching the effects of pumpkin seeds on an enlarged prostate.

One option is to just eat a handful of pumpkin seeds everyday. I'm willing to try that, I'm just not sure about the pill form.

Does anyone know anything about this or has anyone tried it?
    Thanks in advance!

Huh, that's a new one to me, I haven't heard of that one. But, I do love pumpkin seeds, so I guess eating some wouldn't be all that bad!

Hopefully someone has some useful input on this for ya! lol

Hugs!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Hi 2flyingdogs,

yes, pumkins seeds in capsules are often prescribed for what the uros call here (Germany) a "nervous bladder". A lot of people with all kinds of bladder problems take them. Very often IC patients are told to try them before the proper diagnosis. I've taken them for month befor I knew it's IC and they didn't work at all. They are not recommended for IC over here.
      But as they all say: everybody is different...
      I'm german, diagnosed september 2005 with mild IC. Current meds: Elmiron, Uropol-S, IC diet.

Comment

I have been researching that too, I started eating raw pumpkin seeds, I dont eat them every day but have been off and on for 3-4 months. I chose raw so nothing is cooked out.

Comment

We must read the same magazine, because I saw the same ad. If anyone trys it, please post so we will know if it worked or not!

Comment

water soluble pumpkin seed extract

Some new studies out show that water soluble pumpkin seed with phytoestrogens from soy is more helpful for women than men for over active bladder, especially at night. So whether or not this form (before it was an oil extract that people were trying) can help IC is probably not known, but I just ordered some from Life Extension (there are also distributors which sell their products for less than their non-member price so you don't have to be a member) which carries the form used in the studies. So I'll let people know if it helps. I think it takes about 2 months to see. PV
            I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

are pumpkin seeds on the ic diet list? i can not find it. i suppose if we can eat pumpkin the seeds should be ok? does anybody know?
              Formerly lorenab

Comment

pumpkin seed capsule

I've been using pumpkin seed oil capsules from GNC for at least 2 months now. I have absoultely no change in symptoms. It doesn't make me worse, but it doesn't seem to do anything noticeable. I just thought I'd pass along the info. What works for one, may not work the same for another.

Comment

OK so my gyn/uro told me to start taking 1 pumpkin seed oil supplement per day. I was shocked when she told me this, b/c of all the info I found on this site and looking up on the web I found little or no connection to bladders and pumpkin seed oil. HOWEVER I went to a trusted herbalist and asked her about what the doc told me.

The herbalist said that Pumpkin Seed Oil is taken for over-all bladder and prostrate health. Often it is associated with men. She then asked me which doctor and why I was being told to take it. Herbalist immediately knew the doc and said that the doc really knew her alternatives.

Took my first one last night.

~Julia
                  ~Julia (48, F)

Diagnosed with arthritis (2009), IC (2010 - symptoms since November 2007), & pre-diabetic (2017), TMJ/TMD (2019)

Diet Modifications: IC diet
                  Currently exploring how to align diabetic nutrition and IC diet (08/2017)

Comment

pumpkin seed

I tried it too in a forumula called goless and it also included soy. After a few weeks I was the same if not worse. I think it was supposed to tone the bladder muscle. Well, maybe it was my imagination, but I think the urethra was toned tighter. It was supposed to be soothing. HA, NOT AT ALL! PV
                    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

trying this...

I'm currently trying this as well to help with nocturia. I'm on the LifeExtension Water-Soluble Pumpkin Seed Extract but it's only been 1 week.

While I was doing a lot of research about this, it said to take the water-soluble instead of fat-soluble (oil) b/c it can be absorbed much easier & faster & your body then discards what it doesn't use or need.

There were a few really good reviews on Amazon for this product, primarily for OAB but since I'm trying to address nocturia I wanted to try it. I've been on Desmopressin/DDAVP but am trying to get away from an Rx if possible (DDAVP has been fantastic for me; a HUGE difference).

I'm curious to hear of anyone else's experience with this??

Comment

purpleviolet ~

Something to think about....from the IC suggested diet
                        "soy products – soy veggie patties, protein powder, tofu" are listed as a CAUTION food item

I had to give up two of supplements because they had non IC friendly ingredients in them. How are you doing on it?
                        ~Julia (48, F)

Diagnosed with arthritis (2009), IC (2010 - symptoms since November 2007), & pre-diabetic (2017), TMJ/TMD (2019)

Comment

I have been taking a pumpkin seed oil capsule for only about a week, and I noticed a difference withing a day of taking the first pill!

It's called Sanhelios (that's the brand) Curbita (the type of pumpkin) - made by a German company, distributed in the US by Bioforce. I believe it needs to be this specific pumpkin seed oil to help with the bladder. It says it has a calming and harmonizing effect on the function of bladder muscles.

What I found it helped me with is emptying the bladder all at once, no more sitting there waiting to pee when I feel I have to so badly, no more 'pushing' to pee - so I go to the bathroom less because my bladder is emptying more like normal. I haven't noticed any side effects.

I strongly recommend trying this product - I paid about $17.50 for a pack of 30 - I take one in the AM and one in the PM (not the 3-4 a day they suggest). I saw them online for less, around $14 before shipping. Good luck.

Comment

Interesting caskira that you notice those specific differences. I will keep that brand and type of pumpkin in mind and try switching when this bottle runs out.
                            ~Julia (48, F)

Comment

For a while (when my diagnoses was chronic prostatitis) I was having bottles of pumpkin seed oil shipped from Austria and Germany where it actually falls under pharmaceutical quality standard laws. It did seem to help somewhat at first but then that feeling faded and I am not sure.
                              -

Symptoms: started July 2007

New pain medication regimen has things under pretty good control for many weeks now. Exercise and eating healthy along with pain control have given me new life.

Current Symptoms: pain in testicles, penis and general groin area. Other discomfort that is beyond pain, a maddening crazed feeling that defies description. New pain medication has most symptoms under good control.

Frequency and urgency was a problem the first year or so but frequency is normal now.

Diagnosed: Prostatitis first then IC by Cysto/Hydro

Current Meds: Hydroxyzine 25mg 3 x day, Pyridium 200mg 3 x day (off 3-4 days on 3-4 days), Oxycodone, Norvasc (BP).

Past medications and treatments:
                              Protatitis and IC diet strict for 6 months, no change. Still watch diet although nothing seems to help or make worse. Have tried reverse, ate lemons to see if worse but no change at all.

Meds tried - Amitriptyline, Detrol, Flomax, Cipro, Doxycycline. many other antibiotics, Uroxatrol, Vicoprofen, Elmiron (6 months at $320 mo nothing), Aloe, Cysprotek, Glucosamine, Marshmallow, various oils, tons more stuff to strange and numerous to recount. Hydrodistension for diagnostic was horrible for two weeks after I was sure I must be going to die because nothing could feel that way and let you live.

Comment

Working...
                              X