MSM for urethal pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSM for urethal pain

I've been using the product MSM for the urethal pain (from severe IC) I've had for years. I can't believe the difference it's made! I was so leary of trying it after my husband bought it for me that it sat on the counter in the bathroom for a week. Finally after a few days of severe urethra pain I used the MSM.......the next day the pain was starting to feel better......and now I have been pain free for 6 days! I've read that MSM heals like an antibiotic and it's working great for me! Has anyone else tried it with such great results??? Roxie :woohoo:

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Hi Roxie, I have tried MSM, had good results, but ended up w/a cpl. UTI's not from that tho, and stopped taking it. Its known to be an anti inflammatory, I dont remember reading about it working as an antibiotic (killing bacteria) from a msg board I used to frequent. I'm glad to hear its helping you, thats wonderful

Comment

HI! Thanks for writing! I'm truly amazed by the results I've gotten from the MSM. It's like I worry about even saying outloud that I'm not having the pain....for fear that it'll return! I've dealt with it for SO many year.....close to 25......that I can't believe I don't have it at the moment!
      Good luck to you with your pain........Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
      Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
      Dx'd Hypothyroid
      Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
      June 2007
      Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
      First Cysto 1979
      First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
      Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
      Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
      Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
      Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
      Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
      Bladder surgery 2000
      Dx'd: IBS 2000
      Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
      Laminectomy 1989
      Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
      I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Hi Roxy I am also suffering mainly from uretheral pain so was intested to read your post.
        Do you use the MSM Gel or do you take the powder? If you use the gel do you rub it on externally? Gloria J

Comment

I used to take 8000 mg of MSM for my PN pain, and it is the only thing that helped. As far as vulvadynia, a topical solution of 100% pure aloe gel and MSM powder gives immediate relief that can last up to 8 hours, even after wiping several times during the day. I've posted about it many times here and at another site that specializes in PNE. So far, everyone I know that has tried it loves it! It CURED my tendonitis in less than a month when I was only taking 1000mg a day, and I was so bad I couldn't hold an empty dinner plate.

I do NOT recommend using the MSM cream that is sold at health food stores....whoa that stuff burned bad! Stick to the 100% and mix it yourself. Just make sure everything is clean and sterile that touches the mixture.
          Holly
          1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
          2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
          3/2006 began PN symptoms
          7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
          09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
          10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
          11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
          12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
          UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
          UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Comment

MSM & Aloe topical mix

Hi Holly! Haven't seen you in a while....I hope you are doing well.
            How excatly do you make this mix? how many aloe capsules and how much MSM? I want to try it and want to do it right.

Does oral MSM have any side effects or drug interactions that you might know of? I'm taking so many things....
            Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
            UTIs since mid 2004
            Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
            IC dx 3/2006
            V V dx 12/2006
            Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
            Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
            Cysta Q (since 5/07)
            Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
            D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
            Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
            Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
            Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
            Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
            Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
            Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
            BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Hey girl...I'm getting caught up with work now, so let's do lunch soon! I'm in the area a lot lately.

Oral MSM has nothing but good side effects for us, such as stool softening. It's a mineral that is found in all organic foods, especially whole organic milk. I have two books about it if you want to borrow them. I bought them at the Vitamin Shoppe.

I buy the aloe gel 100% pure from Whole Foods (in a bottle), and just break open a 500mg capsule. I mix it in a sterile container so I don't waste the whole pill, and with a squirt of aloe, it is enough for about 3 applications.
              Holly
              3/2006 began PN symptoms
              7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
              09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
              12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
              UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Comment

Please tell me where I can the items you are talking about hollipop I have terrible urethra pain and vulvdynia!!!!!!
                Thank you for the help!
                I have never heard of the items you mentioned... MSM powder and gel????
                Faith is not believing God can; Faith is believing God will!

Comment

You can buy both of them pretty much anywhere. Walmart, Kroger, you name it. Just make sure the aloe gel is pure...no lidocaine or color. MSM is sold everywhere and is located in the senior health area, because so many people take it for arthritis. You can buy the powder by itself, or break open the capsules.
                  Holly
                  3/2006 began PN symptoms

Comment

Thank you so much! I appreciate the information! I look forward to trying this!
                    Georgia
                    Faith is not believing God can; Faith is believing God will!

Comment

msm dosage?

Just wondering how many milligrams you are taking of the oral MSM? I am currently taking 2,000mg/day. Is that enough?

Dawn

Comment

Msm/aloe Gel

Hi..Did you get a reply about how much MSM to take? This is the first I've read about these gels and powders. Wow...sounds like something to try to get some relief....

Thanks Judith

Comment

Orally, you should start wtih 1000mg a day and work up to whatever is best for you. I found relief at 8000mg a day (2 at 4x day) and didn't need more. You can't OD on the stuff, but you need to let your body adjust. It can cause looser BMs (which is a plus for me), so up your dose slowly. Just listen to your body. I've heard of people taking 30,000 daily as an antiinflamatory, which is why some people buy the powder. It's cheaper and you don't have to swallow 30 pills!
                          Holly
                          3/2006 began PN symptoms

Comment

what is msm

Comment

Here is the wikipedia definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane
                              Holly
                              3/2006 began PN symptoms

Comment

Working...
                              X