MSM for urethal pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broth culture-What's that?

What do you mean you sent in a broth culture? I've been in a bad flare wondering if I have a UTI after diarrhea caused by antibiotics for bronchitis. Did you do something special or just your uro? Thanks,
    Susan

Comment

I sent it to "United Medical Laboratory", which is the only place that will do the broth culture. I had a UTI that was not detected by standard U/A because the bacteria did not produce nitrates, and this test grew the bacteria long enough (a week) to find them all. I've been cured of IC ever since.

Check in the antibiotics forum and you'll find lots of posts about this lab.

Hope it helps!
      Holly
      1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
      2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
      3/2006 began PN symptoms
      7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
      09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
      10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
      11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
      12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
      UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
      UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Comment

MSM and possible side-effects

Originally posted by hollipop View Post
        It can cause looser BMs (which is a plus for me), so up your dose slowly.
        This worries me because my IBS is the diarrhea type. However, i'm taking MSM capsules (two of them three times a day) without any apparent bad side-effects. I have noticed is that my urine smells of sulphur first thing in the morning, and this concerns me a bit because i've had allergic reactions to sulphur drugs in the past when they've been prescribed for kidney infections.

Is there anyone else here who's taking MSM orally but has had bad reactions to sulphur at some time? Are you having any problems with MSM?

I would try the gel if i knew where to buy it (NOT online).

~jiriji~
        I'm sick of being sick. Fed up with all this autoimmunity/allergies stuff: migraines, eustachian tube dysfunction, asthma, peripheral neuropathy with polyneuritis, Raynaud's disease, acne rosacea, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, IBS (diarrhea type), IC, one deformed kidney, Von Willebrand Disease (a bleeding disorder), drug allergies, food intolerances, life intolerance! And besides all that, i'm missing my tonsils, my gallbladder, my uterus and ovaries... and probably a gazillion brain cells

Comment

I can't tolerate the aloe so i played around with the pure powder. I am taking 2000 mg a day so far and i am thinking I need more. SO today I was sanding my celling in my bathroom and came home with a huge flair. Urethra on fire muscles soar i could not even move. I took some water and msm, HA it disolved i then thought well i will pour it on me and I did. The pain was gone down in my vaginal and urethra area. Then i was on a mission to rid my muscle pain. I grabbed my lotion and mixed it in a bowl. It dissolved there is water in all lotions so it should dissolve in any lotion. i rubbed it all over my body and i love it I Love it i love it it WORKS, now all i need is for the activive to work and i will be feeling like i could try to have sex oh i better not get a head of myself I feel as tho i may be headed for some normal life soooo hopefull.

Comment

Originally posted by jiriji View Post
            This worries me because my IBS is the diarrhea type. However, i'm taking MSM capsules (two of them three times a day) without any apparent bad side-effects. I have noticed is that my urine smells of sulphur first thing in the morning, and this concerns me a bit because i've had allergic reactions to sulphur drugs in the past when they've been prescribed for kidney infections.

Is there anyone else here who's taking MSM orally but has had bad reactions to sulphur at some time? Are you having any problems with MSM?

I would try the gel if i knew where to buy it (NOT online).

~jiriji~
            From what I've read MSM is a sulfate which is NOT the same as sulfur drugs. I am allergic to sulfur drugs but have had no problem with MSM.

Comment

Originally posted by hollipop View Post
              I used to take 8000 mg of MSM for my PN pain, and it is the only thing that helped. As far as vulvadynia, a topical solution of 100% pure aloe gel and MSM powder gives immediate relief that can last up to 8 hours, even after wiping several times during the day. I've posted about it many times here and at another site that specializes in PNE. So far, everyone I know that has tried it loves it! It CURED my tendonitis in less than a month when I was only taking 1000mg a day, and I was so bad I couldn't hold an empty dinner plate.

I do NOT recommend using the MSM cream that is sold at health food stores....whoa that stuff burned bad! Stick to the 100% and mix it yourself. Just make sure everything is clean and sterile that touches the mixture.
              Were you taking the msm oral as well? I am taking it orally and using it topical but I don't feel it last very long. H ow were you dosing the 8000 mg? I wonder if a high dose is needed or moderate doses through the day?

Comment

Originally posted by windwalker View Post
                Hi Roxie, I have tried MSM, had good results, but ended up w/a cpl. UTI's not from that tho, and stopped taking it. Its known to be an anti inflammatory, I dont remember reading about it working as an antibiotic (killing bacteria) from a msg board I used to frequent. I'm glad to hear its helping you, thats wonderful
                Widwalker, please clarify: did you get UTIs from MSM? what is CPL? Please let me know since I'm interested in MSM and want to discuss it w/ my doctor.

I bought MSM from NOW brand but I'm not sure if it is a good brand. I've took it orally a few times but stopped. I may swicth brands and try it topically like Hollypop described it.
                Why doctors don't mention this?????
                Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
                UTIs since mid 2004
                Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
                IC dx 3/2006
                V V dx 12/2006
                Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
                Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
                Cysta Q (since 5/07)
                Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
                D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
                Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
                Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
                Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
                Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
                Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
                Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
                BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Roxie or others,

I too suffer from urethral pain. Mine is located way up , near the bladder base. I bought some MSM, Solgar brand, at the health food store. It is in vegitarian capsules & it is wheat, starch, sugar free. It is 1500 mg per pill. I am taking one in the am & pm but I think my bladder is irritated by them. Could it be the pills? Would I have better luck with the powder? What brand are you using & where to you buy it?

Thanks!

Melinda

Comment

I buy whatever is on sale and I like the powder form (no pills to swallow), because it's tasteles and easy to mix topically.

SMR - the doctors don't have IC, so they don't have the time or energy to spend looking for ways to relieve the pain...it's basically trial and error. I've made up most of my treatments myself! lol

Give me a call tomorrow if you want to chat....I've been crazy busy, but hopefully we can catch up soon.
                    Holly
                    1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
                    2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
                    3/2006 began PN symptoms
                    7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
                    09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
                    10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
                    11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
                    12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
                    UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
                    UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Comment

biofeedback Treatment

Hi All,
                      I Have IC,/Fibromyalgia. So I Know The Pain Everyone Is Talking About. I Went In And And Had 28 lesions Taken Out in January . Well Then I Was In So Much Pain, In Feb 28th , So My Doctor Put In For Day Surgary, And He Said I Had All New lesions Again. He Said He Took Out Over Sixty More. He Has Me On Elmiron 100Mg/I'm Having DMSO''Done That Hurt So Bad . He Said I Have to Have That Done For Six weeks. And Today I Start Having Biofeedbacks Done For Eight Weeks. If Anyone Has Had The Feedbacks Done . Would You Please tell Me If They Helped At All, T/Y. I also Take Robaxin 500 mg 2xaday For Pain And I Take Ativian 1Mg A Night , And I Prilosec OTC 40 Mg A Day . So With Taken This I Want To Try The MSM Powder, Do You Think It Word Work Since I'm On These Meds ? I'm Willing To try Anything Just To Try To Get The Burnnig To Stop. You Said I Can Get MSM At Walmart? Thank You All So Much ! It Helps Just knowing I Can Get On Line With You All And i Have Somone I Can Talk To About This As We Are going though This . You All Have A Blessed Day ,
                      ICNDonna
                      ICN Staff
                      Last edited by ICNDonna; 03-26-2007, 02:31 AM. Reason: Removed advertising site.

Comment

Working...
                      X