Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Birth Control Pills To Control Ic

HI there
    I am a lurker here on these boards, but have had IC for about 3 years now, no success in any cures yet (have tried all the drugs, done the hydros, etc). I am now considering getting onto the Pill to see if that will help my IC symptoms. I find that my flareups are generally related to my menstrual cycle. I figure if I can get rid of ovulation (usually get a BAD flareup for a few days each month at that time) & then lighten my periods/cramping will perhaps lessen my IC flareups!!
    I am sure I am not the only one on here who has considered this...has anyone actually TRIED it & if so, what kind of side effects/success have you seen? Also what kind of BC pill did you use? My OB has me taking YAZ (will start my first pill tonite)...WOULD love feedback ASAP to help in my decision if I swallow it or not tonite, lol.
    THanks much!
    Karen
    Currently Taking:
    20 mg Celexa
    fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
    morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
    Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
    900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
    300 MG Welbutrin
    Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
    blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

I just talked to a nurse about IC and menstrual cycles. Some women will have more symptoms with their cycle and others, like me, have none. I actually feel better when I have my cycle except for the cramps. But, no bladder pain, burning, or urgency with my cycle. :woohoo:
    I'm probably in the minority on that one.

~~Heidi~~
    My issues:
    Adenomyosis -Diagnosed 2010
    Fibromyalgia - Diagnosed 2009
    IBS - Diagnosed 2007
    IC - Diagnosed 2003
    Endo - Diagnosed 1998
    Cystic Acne
    Migraines

My meds:
    Elmiron orally 100 mg 2x per day
    Effexor 75mg 1x perday
    Welburtin 150 mg 1x per day
    Maxalt (as needed for migraines)
    birth control pills

Comment

I've had IC for over 4 years now and I was on the pill for about 2.5 of those years will little help. I was on the pill for 6 years and got off of it a few years into my IC.My uro did recomend Seasonal recently because you only get your period 4 x a year so I might try that .I was on Alesse.

Comment

My IC started when I quit a birth control pill I'd been on for 10 years. When I went back on it, my symptoms improved within a week (though it didn't go away, which is what I really hoped for). I take Necon 1/35.

Hope you have similarly or better results!
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I am one that was helped by the pill.. My GYN put me on continuous birthcontrol, so I never have a period, but I also have endo and it helps so much with the cramping..
          Hugs
          Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
          http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
          Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
          Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
          Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
          Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I'm having success with the bcp however the most important thing is the CORRECT dosage for your hormonal needs! You'll need to get your estrogen & progesterone levels checked preferably by a doctor to determine how much of each hormone your body needs, we're all different so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another that is the most frustrating part!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
            Jen
            Medically diagnosed Post Menopause 9-13, unsure for how long! Have: IC, IBS-C, arthritis, carpal tunnel, hypoglycemia, RLS, seasonal sinusitis, depression, anxiety, infertility, hormone imbalance.

Please read Screaming to be heard by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. I do deep cleansing breathing & relaxation morning & night along with doing Yoga everynight now, it's been a huge blessing for my body! Born & raised in Michigan, relocated to Oklahoma in 9/09. Please Don't stop anti depressants or mood stabilizers "cold turkey"!

http://www.icawareness.com/stories.html

Jen Meier Cascaddan on Facebook

Married for 21 years, have 2 cats that are my "boys"

Comment

Working...
            X