Has anyone Heard of the LDN tx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone Heard of the LDN tx?

I would suggest that you all look into it. I've done a quite a bit of research on it and it seems rather promising for a lot of illnesses.

Low Dose Naltrexone. Just put LDN in your search engine and you will come up with lots of info.

I'm trying to get my PCP to prescribe it to me for other health reasons.

Let me know iif and how you are doing if you do decide to give it a try. And I will do the same.

Many hugs and blessings
    MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

It's usually used in treating addictions, but who knows --- let us know what your doctor says.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
      It's usually used in treating addictions, but who knows --- let us know what your doctor says.

Donna
      Donna,

Yes, it is an old cheap drug that was used to treat opiant addicts at 50-100 mgs. but what the reseachers have concluded is if used at a very low dose, it has the opposite affect. One usually starts at 1.5mg at night and slowly raises the dose to the optimal dosage of 4.5mg per night. They say it helps to regulate the immune system.

And has been utilized to help, lupus, ms, fibro, ibs, cfs and many other illnesses including cancer.

It has virtully no long term side affects. Ones that were reported were vivid dreams for a few weeks.

Many hugs and blessings
      MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

Comment

Mary,
        I've been on LDN since October and have done quite well. I was just reading a research article today on it from an alternative medicine book. I've put several patients on it for Chron's, Ulcerative Colitis, Fibromyalgia and Breast Cancer and they all have felt better. If you take it make sure that the compounding pharmacy does not use calcium carbonate as a filler and that they don't use the slow release form. The article I read today said to start at 1mg at night for 1 week and increase by 1 mg each week until you get to 4 to 4.5 mg, I do have vivid dreams, not bad, just interesting. It does not really have any side effects, I think it is worth a try.

Suzanne

Comment

Suzanne,

Thank you so much for the info. I've also read that the compounding pharmacy needs to use the naltrexone in powder form and not crush the tablets. Do you find this to be true?

I take it that you are an MD?

As far as your patient with the fibro, has their energy gone up? I have fibro, chronic fatigue, IBS, gerd and possibly lupus. My fatigue is to the point that it is debilitating.

I'm hopeful that the LDN will help all my illnesses.

Now it's just a matter of getting my PCP to write a script. Since I haven't been offically dx with lupus, I've concentrated on reseach info of fibro and cfs to take to her on my next appt.

Anyway thank you again. Many hugs and blessings,
          MARY

Comment

Suzanne is a nurse.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

this is interesting. Is there any research articles or case studies/trials that someone would be able to show to thier doctors?
              Diagnosed with IC October 2009- through bladder biopsy (no glomerations or hunners ulcers found, just irritation)

I have moderate-severe IC

Currently stopped taking all medications due to pregnancy

Comment

Mary- I sent you a message under visitors with more info.

NeedsRelief- If you google LDN there is the Low dose naltrexone website. I'm not great with a computer so I can't figure out how to post the link. They have several research articles that you can give to your PCP.

Donna- Sorry didn't mean to give medical advice in my previous post. Won't do it again.

Suzanne

Comment

I have great interest in this drug and have read about it's ability to alter the immune system. I also have Crohn's disease and tests with it have been very promising on pediatric crohn's patients. The drug itself, is not new. It has been used for addiction for some time. What is new, is the discovery that in very small doses, it can be helpful in inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. It is very cheap, so the drug companies have no interest is doing drug trials, because there is no chance for big profits. It is not available ready made in low doses at regular pharmacies. Our doctors cannot write a script for it to be filled unless one goes to a compounding pharmacy. Most doctors are too worried about lawsuits to prescribe a drug that hasn't gone through drug trials. The chance for the trials is poor due to that profit problem. LDN only works on these diseases in very low doses. The reason it works is quite a read! check out the LDN websites. If I should ever be so lucky to get LDN for my Crohn's disease, where it has been tested at Penn State , with great results. I will report here if it also helps with IC. We can always hope.

Comment

Ldn

I started on 1,2 mg and now, after 5 months I am on 4,5 mg

When I started the first time I got a flare.

Then I got botox in my bladder and started the LDN again
                    This time everything went better
                    After the first dose my nose allergy was gone
                    When I was on 2,5 mg the jointpain in my shoulders got less

Now the joint pain is totaly gone, the muscle pain is gone, my bloodperssure is better(lower), my vision is better;I can now read the paper without glasses
                    I had soms blood tests done and my liver values are better, my kidney values are better ass well and so is my thyroid
                    Now I need less thyroid medication

I cannot say if it helped for my Interstitial cystitis because when I started the LDn I also started botox
                    So the IC is beter now but it is not gone
                    Occasionely I take Tramadol about 12 hours after my morning dose LDN
                    dr Skip from Skips pharmasy told me that"s possible

Comment

OH, and very important; the fatique is gone !!

Comment

Mar60,

I'm so happy for you that the LDN is working. I took in info to my PCP to look at and she said she would get on the internet and check it out. but she doesn't feel comfortable writing it for me.
                        I'm going to a new rheumy and hopefully she will. If not I know that I can call that Dr. Jeff Dach and have a consult with him and get it that way, so I'm at a stand still at the momment. I am though going to have Skip's pharmacy compound it too and just get it through the mail.

Again, I am very happy for you!!

Hugs and blessings,

Mary
                        MARY

Comment

Mary,
                          Why don't you try an Alternative Medicine MD? They are using LDN for many things.

Suzanne

Comment

I got it from an alternitive docter at first but whem my own dr saw mij blood results she was surprised and now she gives me the prescriptions I need

IN the beginning a flare is allways possible because off mast cell degranulation

(please google " interstitial cystitis, LDN and mast cell degranulation" )

Comment

My daughter is on 8 - 15 mg. of oxycodone a day for pain. Is LDN a tablet, too?
                              She is always tired and would like to find something else for her pain. Can you take the oxycodone and LDN until the LDN kicks in?

Comment

Working...
                              X