Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK this is weird: BEER stops my urethra burning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK this is weird: BEER stops my urethra burning!

Hello,
    I have just been diagnosed with IC just a couple of weeks ago, and I am presently taking a typical regimen of medication: Elmiron, Amitriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Uribel, Prelief, and the antibiotic Nitrofurantoin Macro (which I am supposed to take immediately after sex). My bladder at this moment isn't really giving me any problems, but my URETHRA? That's a different story. I wake up in the morning and it just burns constantly, making my work day very uncomfortable. It stings and burns so bad I can hardly concentrate. Neither Uribel nor Azo helps in the least.

A couple of days ago when I got off work, I was so stressed and upset from the amount of work I was expected to do (despite being EXTREMELY uncomfortable from the burning), that I broke down and had a couple of beers. I know, I know, alcohol is a BIG no-no for IC sufferers, but I was so desperate to relax I just didn't care. By the time I had finished my second beer, the burning in my urethra was completely gone. WHAT? Uribel and Azo does nothing, but BEER relieves my discomfort?

Now, I may be a special case... I used to drink WAY too much and have even gone through a treatment program. Maybe my body chemistry is used to beer somehow? Has anybody else out there experienced this? I find it incredibly ironic that one of the most dangerous things someone with IC can drink--BEER--seems to alleviate the burning sensation in my urethra, and so far IS THE ONLY THING THAT HAS WORKED. Yesterday I had a few more beers after work, and the same thing happened... I actually had RELIEF. (I still had to go to the bathroom a lot, but there was no pain whatsoever.)

This situation is so strange I don't know what to make of it. Does anybody have any theories? I wasn't even sure this was appropriate to post in the first place, and I had no idea which section to post it in, so I chose Alternative Therapies as a lot of people seem to visit this forum. Thoughts, anyone?

You're not alone in this. I learned early in my IC journey that beer seems to have a calming affect on my bladder.

I do feel the need to say that others, maybe even most, find the exact opposite reaction so I would urge extreme caution to anyone who decides to try a beer! -Or an other alcoholic beverage. And a reminder that many meds & alcohol don't mix well!

You might find this old thread on the subject interesting.....
    http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51283

Vicki
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

I have to say when I'm having alot of irritation, like what you describe but at a lesser level, I always know that wine or beer will make it go away, always. I have decided it is the anesthetic qualities of the alcohol maybe. It has happened time and time again. I don't know why this is because as Vicki has said it really irritates most people with IC.
      Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
      Macrobid after sex
      Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
      synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
      AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
      AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
      Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

It must have something to do with the anesthetic qualities of the alcohol that temporarily numbs the nerve endings in the urethra. I noticed this also at first before I knew I had IC. I have to say though since not having any alcohol at all now my bladder feels a whole lot better overall, so it may not be a good idea in the long run for some people.

Comment

i had some smirnoff ice vokda the other nite..pineapple flavor one bottle. one of my favs pre-ic.i was stressed/in so much pain i figured i'd try it to see how alcohol affected me. suprisingly it did help the pain even more so than the pain meds i'm on. i have a history of alcoholism in my family so dont want ic to turn me into an alcoholic lol
          Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
          Zoloft- one once a day
          Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
          Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
          tramadol-allergic
          DMSO treatments(5-6)
          probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
          AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
          Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
          Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
          Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
          where there is hatred, let me sow love;
          when there is injury, pardon;
          where there is doubt, faith;
          where there is despair, hope;
          where there is darkness, light;
          and where there is sadness, joy.
          Grant that I may not so much seek
          to be consoled as to console;
          to be understood, as to understand,
          to be loved as to love;
          for it is in giving that we receive,
          it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
          and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

I too can drink corona light beer. It actually calms my bladder! When I go out or to book club it is the only time I can go for 4 hours without the urge to pee! Of course,having 3-4 beers a night is really not an option, but it is nice to know when I am out that I can enjoy myself and not worry about pain. I can also drink Pinot Grigio it doesnt bother me at all, but I don't get the same benefits.

Comment

I have also had urethral burining and they gave me estrace cream, fixed that right up! Have you discussed this with your doctor? I am telling you, the pain was gone in about 4 days! Now PFD and bladder still a problem, but any pain we can get rid of is a blessing

Comment

I have also noticed that beer, either Corona or Rolling Rock helps with my bladder pain, it seems to go away for a few days after I have a couple.
                Live Well
                Love Much
                Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
                Dec 2005
                Diagnosis:
                IC
                Cysto/Hydro:
                Dec 2005
                Other Conditions:
                Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
                Meds for IC:
                Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
                Alternative Treatments
                Physical therapy for 8 weeks, Acupuncture (just started).
                Other Meds:
                Skelaxin (as needed)
                Didn't work:
                Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
                Tried:
                Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Comment

I was just curious for those who find beer to be helpful.- Do you find that your IC symptoms worsen after the helpful effects of the beer wears off, or stay the same as they were before you had the beer?

Comment

Beer does not seem to bother me at all. I was scared when my symptoms first started and was diagnosed and stoped drinking completely since it supposedly is an ic trigger. Four months later I decided to give it a try with some prelief since my symptoms have calmed down with treatment and nothing! Didnt feel any different! Sooo happy since im only 24 and still love to go out.
                    Current Treatments & Meds:
                    Vesicare
                    Hydroxyzine
                    Elmiron
                    Tramadol (When flaring)
                    Prelief (Before Meals)
                    Macrobid to prevent infection

Lifesavers:
                    Rescue Instills 2x per Week (Lidocaine, Sodium Bicabonate, Heparin) upon first diagnosis.
                    Teeccino (If you love coffee, you need to try this! Acid Free & Caffeine Free!)
                    Carbob Chips (w/Mint Ice Cream)
                    My boyfriend of 5 years
                    My kitty Chloe <3
                    Photography (www.facebook.com/ashleylpriestphotography)

Comment

Omg..so interesting. I don't think beer affects me horribly either. Maybe i'll do an experiment this weekend and see how it goes... VERY INTERESTING!! I know vodka did NOT agree with me..at all
                      Bladder/Pelvic Issues since 16.
                      Constant urethral/vestibule/nerve pain? (can't pinpoint)burning/tingling/pain. After BM and urination, pain is worse. Sex triggers it so bad. Can't wear tight pants. Sitting =bad. Worse after second pee.
                      .PFD.vestibulitis, IBS. Hyperthyroid dx May 2013 Ureaplasma, treated twice.
                      First Cysto Feb/13. Uro/Gyno thinks it more nerve related or a mixture of both. In diagnosis stage. Still.
                      Currently on:
                      Physical Therapy
                      25 mg methimazole (hyperthyroid),
                      Morphine 10mg as needed,
                      Evra Patch (birth control) Switching to Alesse
                      Tried and didn't work:
                      Gabapentin 400mg 3x day
                      Ditropan (oxybutynin) - Didn't have much frequency (only during a severe flare), caused urine retention.
                      Marshmallow root tea. Didn't help much with pain or anything. Lidocaine.
                      Citrical - Urine retention. Atarax(25mg capsules)Urine retention.
                      Estragyn Cream. Started Dec 17/12. Amitryptaline 25-75mg May 2012.

Comment

Glad to know it is just not me. I usually have glass or two of wine in the evening and have noticed that burning in my bladder and urethra lessen...even when I'm having a flare up. I also attributed it to the anesthetic effect of alcohol. I still have to urinate quite a bit but the burning is gone....and I can fall asleep.

Comment

My uro after a visit actually looked at me and said go home and drink a beer!?????

Comment

I just hopped on the forum and searched "beer" because I have noticed that it actually helps me and I was curious if anyone else had the same effect.

It seems to relax my bladder and give me more volume when I void. My problem is basically having to go all the time even when my bladder is empty. When I drink a beer I feel so much better.

I will have to try and remember to drink one when I am in a serious flare to see what happens. I searched google and it said that beer is a diuretic, so it also makes me wonder if I took a diuretic, if it would help...

Comment

Oh man I wished beer helped me! lol. Or wine, that would be heaven. Whenever I drink beer (or any alcohol really) I pee like every 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X