No announcement yet.

herb to stabalize mast cells and more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• herb to stabalize mast cells and more?

I was reading about a weight loss supplement in Life Extension that contains Sphaeranthus indicus and the well-known and maybe commercially over hyped fruit extract mangosteen and not knowing of S. Indicus I read further about it. It seems to be used in Indian herbal medicine

good link http://sanjeetbiotech.blogspot.com/2...l-weed-in.html

for many conditions (protects the liver contary to what many drugs do, anti-biotic against gram positive bacteria, anti-yeast ) but is poisonous to fish but not to people as it is used as a "pot-herb" there and is now in this supplement. But what caught my eye is a study about how it can stabalize mast cells very well, and isn't this what some IC drugs like hydroxyzine do? Just FYI. This is the study below. I'm telling you if I could afford it and if I could take any more pills, I would get it for weight loss and see if it helps IC, but right now I'm taking some formulas for adrenal health and I want to down the line try pycnogenol so I can't get around to it all now, plus I haven't decided it I am going back on my foreign elmiron yet. I have not looked into whether it is available as a separate supplement, but I imagine it is and I have no idea if it has any bad side effects but I'd sure like to protect my liver, too!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19330926
    Mast cell stabilizing effects of Sphaeranthus indicus.

Mathew JE, Srinivasan KK, Dinakaran V, Joseph A.

Source

Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal 576 104, Karnataka, India. [email protected]

Abstract

AIM OF THE STUDY:

We investigated the effects of Sphaeranthus indicus on mast cell stabilizing activity to provide scientific basis for the clinical use of S. indicus.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

The protective effect of different extracts of whole plant of S. indicus against compound 48/80 and sheep serum induced mast cell degranulation was evaluated.

RESULTS:

Ethanol extract of S. indicus at the doses of 150 mg/kg and 300 mg/kg and ethyl acetate extract at the dose of 100 mg/kg, 150 mg/kg and 300 mg/kg showed slightly better protection of mast cell degranulation (77-86%) than the standard drug ketotifen (75%) in the sheep serum model. These extracts also showed better mast cell stabilizing activity (77-88%) than the standard drug (69%) when peritoneal mast cells are treated with compound 48/80.

CONCLUSION:

These results suggest that S. indicus has potent mast cell stabilizing effects thereby inhibiting mediator release from mast cells.

PMID: 19330926 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Re: herb to stabalize mast cells and more?

I always get a laugh when I google something and I come up with myself on the ICN. What's not so funny is I forget what I have wrote or researched. Anyway, today I googled herbs and mast cells and up I popped. How about that! The reason I was googling this is I was visiting with my ND and disparaging about being in a long running flare and wondering if it was because I had been eating a lot of beans (which I normally don't do) in order to lose weight because supposedly beans encourage the good "slimming" microbiome in your gut. Well beans are off some low histamine diets and so she suggested a trial of hydroxyzine to see if I respond to such an H1 histamine blocker (well I have taken it before but not for long). She is trying to get me to stick to something which is not in my nature. So far the hydroxyzine is helping me sleep but has not helped my bladder at all and I wonder how many days I should try it? Meanwhile I'm cutting out foods such as beans and avocado and rapberries and chocolate because I guess it was just adding up. We all know that diet is king when it comes to IC! Of course for some people it may be the acid and for others the histamines in the foods or their ability to provoke histamines or aggravate mast cells. That is about as technical as I get. So if eventually we determine that histamines or mast cell stabilization is a factor in my IC, I am sure she will have a Chinese herbal formula for it because that is the type of naturopathy she specializes in. I also have a new supplement made from palmitoylethanolamide, a fatty acid, which I tried years ago at great expense and it did not help me, but I thought I may retry again some day as it is reformulated and much much cheaper. I really just hope the hydroxyzine does something.
    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were all the same --- if the same medications worked for every ICer --- if we could safely eat the same foods --- etc.?

I'm a great fan of diary-keeping to help identify what's okay for me and what's not.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
        Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were all the same --- if the same medications worked for every ICer --- if we could safely eat the same foods --- etc.?

I'm a great fan of diary-keeping to help identify what's okay for me and what's not.

Donna
        Donna - If I could just eat one food and only one food then the diary would surely pinpoint the culprit! You're right though, it really is important!

Comment

Working...
        X