X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PikkuMyy
    replied
    How is it going, Kimberly, and VM?

I, too, am on proactive antibiotic therapy but not after sex, just once a day at nighttime. I'm to do it for 3 months and then go back for more diagnostic stuff...

I was having at least one UTI every 2 months.

Although my sex life is much more active than many people here (I'm very thankful for this!), I don't do it every single day, so just after sex would mean less antibiotics. However, I know that my IC symptoms are not caused by sex. A few years ago, when trying to figure this all out, my husband and I stopped having sex for a month. None of my symptoms went away, so we knew it wasn't directly related. My UTIs may be related to sex but I find that hard to believe given that we were both washing before and after, using libricant with a substance that kills bacteria, and drinking lots of water and peeing afterwards.

I'm feeling much better after a month of this (along with the diet and Prelief) but I still worry about the effect they may have on my birth control pills. However, I found a study of patients doing long-term antibiotics for acne, and it found that after 4-6 weeks of the antibiotics, the body got used to them and the hormone levels were stable. Well, it's been 4 weeks so it should even out soon.

Anyway, enough about me - any updates on the two of you?

Emily

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    I drank water before, took a shower, voided before, voided after, showered after, etc. and still get UTIs from time to time after sex.

I have started the antibiotic after sex "thang" and so far so good. We'll see if it keeps helping.

Leave a comment:

• Joyce Aurich
    replied
    uti

Have you voided after sex?
    I always got UTI's after sex, but no more since I get up right after and void..

Leave a comment:

• Kimberly31
    replied
    Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,this infection has been one of my worst I have been in bed mostly all weekend with fever. I started the antibiotics on Friday and it is monday and should be through with my 3 days as of right now. I dont have fever as of today but not really sure if the infection part is gone or not. I might now be feeling the flare up that infections put me in. Hoping that by (tuesday) tomorrow I will be back to normal.
    Just a reminder in case anyone hasnt been following my posts. As of friday I had not started the antibiotic therapy this is very new for me. I am really hoping that it will now work for me since I might be starting off w/o infection now.
    I will keep in touch I really hope and pray that this helps me taking one after sex or just maybe even one a week. My infections have been getting worse and closer and closer together and that really scares me.
    Maybe we will finally have the right answers to help me I hope!
    *hugs to you all* and hoping you are pain free today!
    Kim grouphug

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Kim, she has never said anything about a yeast problem. She doesn't take the antibiotics full time, just one after sex --- so she isn't as likely to develop the antibiotic resistant infections.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• havingsuccess
    replied
    Good Luck Kimberely, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Success grouphug

Leave a comment:

• auntiedeb
    replied
    Kimberly, I hope and pray that you will feel better soon. sending gentle hugs and healing thoughts your way. Please let us know how you are doing. grouphug grouphug angel angel hat

Leave a comment:

• Kimberly31
    replied
    Well I must have jinxed myself banghead
    Christmas day I noticed the feelings of a UTI returning and it has only been about 3 weeks from my last one. I started the antibiotics the 2 for 3 days so we will see how this works for me. I will now be also starting the after sex treatment I really hope this will work.
    toilet Kim

Leave a comment:

• havingsuccess
    replied
    This is just my opinion here and by no means do I want to tick anyone off but I have had such a great response I want to share it with others. I truly believe that alot of people here would benefit from antibiotic therapy, if your careful the risk is very minimal and the key to it is to be sure your taking the right antibiotic. I'm sure all of you researched this fully when you were first diagnosed. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, I'm all for doing what makes you feel the best, and that's what I hope for all of you....to feel your best. Good Luck!

Success

Leave a comment:

• auntiedeb
    replied
    I am on antibotics propactively for my utis and to see if they will prevent them. I don't know about the sex part. Still a virgin here. I just hope and pray it works for me. I am glad to see that some people are having success with antibotics but not all do. I keep hoping. gentle hugs to everyone.

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    Thanks, Donna. Do you know if yeast has been an issue for her? That is my biggest concern,. Although with my low sex drive it probably wouldn't be an issue. LOL lmao

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Kim: We have an acquaintance who takes an antibiotic after sex --- it seems to work well for her. She still occasionally gets and infection, but not every time like she used to. She's been taking the antibiotic after sex for several years now.

Good luck --- I hope it works for you.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    Just to clarify my post, I am not interested in long term antibiotic therapy, per se. Just the "take an antibiotic after sex" therapy.

Leave a comment:

• havingsuccess
    replied
    I have had great success with my antibiotic therapy. I'm entering month 4 and will be sending another urine culture in in about 2 weeks. I feel 75% better than I did before. I never had this kind of relief with the other therapies. I saw alot of doctors and my current one recommended antibiotics and after sending my urine in to be cultured and reading the report I decided to try it and it has been great. Dr F is my hero along with my uro. I hope it works for you also. I truly believe so many could could be helped by this. Just remember to be patient and take all the yeast precautions. PM me anytime.

Success

Leave a comment:

• vm
    replied
    I haven't done a regular antibiotic therapy, but may be asking my doc about using them preventively after sex. I get about 6 UTIs a year, maybe? He said that can be normal for females, unfortunately, but I am sick of getting them despite lots of preventive measures like washing before and after sex, etc. I think he'd be open to doing an antibiotic after sex type thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X