Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In emergency Friday night and doc said IC should be treated by antibotics

Hi all,

Long story but ended up in emerg Friday night. The emerg doc was fairly up to speed on IC, but believed that IC is confirmed by biopsy and needs long term antibiotic therapy. I just smiled and said, well, I am under the care of a urologist, I'll mention it to him.

Any thoughts?

Cath
    One day at a time

Um, just that he needs to study IC a bit more. lmao

I hope you are feeling OK now. Are you better than you were Friday night? kissing
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Cath,
      I hope you are feeling better too! Kim said it all and I totally agree!!!

Jolene
      Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
      http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

I'm so sorry you had to go to the ER. I know how that feels lately.

What sent you there to begin with? And, how are you feeling now?

My ER docs were more worried about my Crohns then the stones or the IC, and of course had to check me for fistulas, by hand, and if you dont know what that means I'll spare you the details, but I couldnt sit for days.

ER docs know a little about a lot, and they like it that way, but, unfortunately for us, the patients, they often havent got a clue what to do for us til they talk to our docs on the phone.

Good luck and I'm glad you got to come home.

Sandy

Comment

I am on antibotic proactively to prevent utis and they d on't always help but this time it took several days for the flare and uti to go away. I think Kim said it right too. He needs to study more on ic. Hope you feel better soon.
          Hang in there , There is hope.
          There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

My urologist also has put me on bactrim to prevent uti's. Long term.
            Jen

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

My Uro has me on an anti-biotic (Levaquin low dose) every three days to keep me from getting a UTI. So far, so good. I'm UTI free 4 months now .
              Tilly

Comment

so sorry you ended up in the er but it is nice to know someone at the hosp understand ic a little bit.
                I was once on anti. for long trem use but the only thing my body did was found away around it and built up a nother type of bat. in my bladder. ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
                I agree with vm he needs to learn a bit more about ic.
                I know that anti can help some people that gets alot of uti like i do but its not for all. grouphug
                Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I haven't had any UTIs in ages, so I don't think antibiotics would be warranted. I had a DMSO and then went into retention and needed a foley for the weekend. UGh!

However, I am feeling alot better now, and I am going to take a break from the dmso for a few weeks.

Cath
                  One day at a time

Comment

Well, one good thing did come out of your trip to the ER....The doc was at least smart enough not to tell you to start guzzling cranberry juice!! scream Hope you are feeling tons better, please keep us posted grouphug
                    Wishing you the best, today, tomorrow, and always! Sheri G

Comment

sorry you were in er hugs hope you feel better i was on 3 months of macrobid for utis and all i got out of it was a nasty yeast infection from hell..... any way think maybe he needs to look a little deeper into ic and he will discover that longterm anti wont help IC..
                      hugs brat
                      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Sounds like doc in the ER was referring to ordinary UTIs.

Comment

E.R. Dr. think they know it all but in reality they are quite ignorant obout I.C. and its treatments. I had to go to the E.R. Sun. because my spasms and pain were so bad that my morphine wasn't helping. I do get UTI s frequently and I was sure that I had one. I told the dr. that I had I.C. but that in addition I felt that I had an infection which was increasing the pain. He was very patronizing and asked my "who told you you had that?" I explained that my urogyno from that hospital diagnosed me and is currently treating me for a bad flare with daily heparin/marcaine bladder instils. He seemed quite puzzled like I was a quack making it up. End result he told me I had an inf. but it was nothing that a simple antibiodic wouldn't fix. I asked about my urinalysis and I wanted to know if my lucycites or nitrites were elevated. He said yes but the main prob. was that I had huge amounts of blood. I explained that that's always there and he nodded and said oh o.k. as if I were a child. Anyway I had to beg him to call my uro and to give my a shot of morphine or something stronger than my oral pain meds. and I finally convinced him to give me a B&O suppositories. I told the nurse to explain to him that I had an infection on top of a bleeding cracked bladder. It's as if he had never heard of I.C. or the pain that comes with it. Ugh... I always take someone with me who can rationally stand up for me and insist on treatment for the pain. My fiance was able to explain that we have been dealing with this flare for 3 weeks and that I was on med. leave from work and seeing my dr. every day. The only reason I came to the E.R. was to get something more than what I had in order to get through the night until I could get back to my dr. What were you in the E.R. for? I wish that I had remembered my I.C treatment notebook. I keep my medical history as well as med. journal articles on I.C. Maybe someday more G.p and E.R dr. will be more educated about this disease. Until then we will continue educating our med. providers.

Comment

I'm not really sure what ER doctors are good for, other than trauma. Sorry that you had to go through that, lotsofgirls and rachel. I had a TIA and a stroke and the ER doctor kept saying it was my migraine medicine. I couldn't walk, my hand wouldn't work and I couldn't remember my phone number or address. Oh, yes, its my migraine medicine! These doctors kill me! I think that you should have a number to call in case you wind up in the ER...then you can get the meds you need and the doctor will be told what you need.

Comment

Every time I have to go to the ER I have anxiety about what kind of doctor I am going to see. One time I actually had a doctor who knew what he was doing, and he was teaching other students. Outside my curtain I heard him explain IC (properly!) and tell the students that when these patients come in they are in serious pain, treat the pain so that they are comfortable. Of course that was only once, but it did give me hope!
                              Cath
                              One day at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X