Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fem-dophilus urogenital probiotic

Hi all,

I have posted about this probiotic on here earlier but just saw it mentioned in the June issue of Prevention. The article is titled "Europe's Best-kept Health Secret" and it is about probiotics in general and the benefits for the intestinal and urogenital systems. It refers to studies showing the benefits of using Fem-dophilus along with medicine to help cure bacterial vaginosis. There is a list at the end of the 7 best probiotics on the market and Fem-D is one of them. Also Culturelle.

Fem-dophilus is available online. It is marketed by Jarrow and can be ordered at sites online. The insert says to take two orally per day when having an infection but the inventor told us you can use one vaginally, inserted in some kind of gel. It helps build good bacteria in the vagina and therefore affects the bladder, too.

Just thought I'd pass this along on this site and will post on some others since I think it is such a good product and it is not advertised at all that I know of.

Martha

Fem-dophilus

I bought Fem-dophilus at my local Whole Foods health food store......

Comment

I was just told about this product last week when I was at the health food store. I am seriously thinking of trying it.

Ginny

Comment

Fem-dophilus

I would try it if I were you. I was kind of afraid that it would make the IC worse but it didn't. It seems to moisturize the tissues. I did not take it orally - I used it vaginally which is how my nurse practitioner advised me to use it. Good luck!

Comment

How do you use it vaginally? How many and for how long? I've used plain yogurt vaginally for yeast infections and think it helped me more than the cream, but it is kind of messy.
          Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
          UTIs since mid 2004
          Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
          IC dx 3/2006
          V V dx 12/2006
          Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
          Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
          Cysta Q (since 5/07)
          Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
          D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
          Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
          Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
          Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
          Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
          Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
          Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
          BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Fem-dophilus

I take another probiotic daily (just because they are cheaper than the Fem-dophilus) and take the Fem-dophilus 2-3 times a week vaginally. I use it at night before I go to bed and basically, I just shove the pill up there.

I have already gone through menopause and I thought it might be messy too. I went and bought panty liners just in case but I haven't had to use them at all. It isn't messy - it just dissolves with no discharge at all.

Sorry to be so graphic...

Comment

Fem Dophilus

I got my first order of Fem dophilus a few months ago. I got it from a website that sells vitamins and such. I was dissapointed that the bottle says KEEP REFRIGERATED and the shipment came at normal hot summer temperature. I tired looking for it at whole foods and didn't find it there. If the bottle says keep refrigerated is for a reason. I took them anyways but I'm tryng to see where I can find them or buy them REFRIGERATED?.
              Lactobacilli bacteria I belive, are very wimpy and may die easily if not refrigerated.
              Also I got some lactobacilli suppositories (ready to be used vaginally made from another source/site) and the same thing happned arrrived to me hot and even though they put an ice pack it melted and the package said KEEP REFRIGERATED the mail man didn't pay attention and just left it in front of the house...I didn't use it)
              Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
              UTIs since mid 2004
              Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
              IC dx 3/2006
              V V dx 12/2006
              Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
              Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
              Cysta Q (since 5/07)
              Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
              D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
              Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
              Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
              Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
              Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
              Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
              Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
              BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

FemDophilus

HI,

I think you asked a very good question! I have written the product manager for FemDophilus at Jarrow to ask if they have tested to see that the lactobacilli survive shipping across country in the summer. I told him I ordered Culturelle from a supplier online and they said they don't ship until September, and Culturelle does not say it needs to be refrigerated but it contains probiotic bacteria.

We need to keep these manufacturers aware of our concerns. Will post whatever answer he gives.

Martha

Comment

Working...
                X