Minocycline is making me so nauseous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minocycline is making me so nauseous?

I have had to go on basically a double antibiotic for my chronic kidney infections. Since the pain etc. were so bad, I now have to take a full dose of Spetra along with a full dose of minocycline..., It is amazing that the flank pain is almost gone now. I had also run a low grade fever for months which has now disappeared BUT the minocycline makes me so sick at my stomach and dizzy. I am taking one dose before bed at night but the other I have to take in the morning. I have been taking benadryl 30min. before taking it, which helps some but I have still felt sick. I have aslo taken phenagrin, all of this helps but then leaves me totally wiped out all day!

Any suggestions on what I can take etc. that will not make me so tired???

(I tried comprazine in Jan. and wound up in ER with a bad reaction to it!!)

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!! it is so frustrating to finally have my IC under control, and then flank pain under control but to be so sick or too tired to enjoy it

Thanks for your help!
    Shelly[COLOR="Magenta
    "][/COLOR]
    Shelly Matthewson
    Private Researcher
    IC Support Group Leader
    Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
    www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
    PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

repost:
    I really could use some ideas from others on this!
    Shelly Matthewson
    Private Researcher
    IC Support Group Leader
    www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
    PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

Comment

Hmmm...I'm sorry you are so sick from this, I get nauseous too when I take it for a long period of time. Since I'm just taking it for rosacea and not something really serious, my doc tells me I can go down in dose to just one pill per day instead of two, when the nausea hits.

I do find that taking it with food rather than without food helps, (ask your doctor - mine said it was okay to take with food but yours might say "no") and also that if I take a probiotic (or even eat yogurt with active cultures) once per day, that really helps. Of course, I have to take the yogurt/probiotics not at the same time as the antibiotics - has to be several hours apart so they won't mess each other up.

Those things seem to help me. I hope that your doctor will be able to find a way that you won't be so sick on the medicine, and I hope you will be feeling much better soon!

Blessings,
      Lori

Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to answer me Lori! It is a daily battle and I apprecaite your input! I will try some of these> I take probiotics at night and am less sick this could be why! I will have to try it during the day as well!

thanks again!

Shelly
        Shelly Matthewson
        Private Researcher
        IC Support Group Leader
        www.moarkic.com

PFD

Comment

I am an minocycline now for about 8 months and I had a very difficult time with it too (the minocycline is for another condition). After I told my doc about the problems I was having, he re-wrote my script for 50mg doses - so I started a regime of 1 50mg 1x\day for 2 weeks - then 1 50mg 2x\day for 2 weeks - then upped it again every 2 weeks until I was at the dose he wanted me on. This gradual increase worked well for me with minimal side effects. I am now working my way backwards (lowering my doses) until I will be on 1 50mg 1x\day. I will be on this anti. for a loooong time and have to use it as a maintenance for a condition I have. I was told by my doc that 50mg of the minocycline is "below the radar for developing resistance" to this antibiotic - I hope this is true because it's the only thing that has stablized me - I have tried just about everything else I can.

Comment

Are you taking the antibiotics with food? If not, you might ask your doctor if that might help.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Antibiotics make me puke. REally. I'm on doxycyclene right now and I have to take it with phernegan(sp) it helps alot and since its non-narcotic most docs don't mind prescribing it.

Erika
              IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
              Interstim Since 5/25/07!
              Birth Control

Comment

Ugggh, I feel so bad for you. I have severe digestive disorders that were likely caused my taking antibiotics and that was over 4 years ago and my tum and intestines never got better, just worse. I pray your tum will recooperate from all the anti-B's. I would seriously take probiotics if I were you to put back the good bugs in the digestive tract. I hope you feel better soon.
                Jen

Comment

Thanks for all your responses, it think tappering up would have been a great idea. I also tried taking it with some food and found it was best to wait about 30mins. after eating! I did find that either benadryl or/and phenegren (sp) help a lot but then I am wiped out all day!!! I have an old script here and have permission to use it! Since this is long term that is not going to work! To my amazement I did find something that seems to be helping. I had to take it and be in town all day and felt YUCK! My phramacist recommended these sea sickness braclets that use acupressure. It has little rubber stops that put acupressure on your wrist. (MY midwife recommended them years ago for morning sickness and I thought she was crazy!) I was despret so bought them and they REALLY help. We went to Silver Dollar City yesterday with friends, with the heat and antibiotics I was afraid I would be sick and they worked. I put them on as soon as I take the minocylcine and leave them there for an hour or two then put them back on if I get nauseous!

Thanks again for all the ideas and help, wasn't sure I was going to be able to stay on this but right now I am very helpful! This one at least does not irritate my bladder like many do too! My kidney pain is soo much better which also helps my IC so had the best day with my family there of course I am careful what I eat and skip out on 99% of the rides!

(I do also take lots of probiotics, have to with living on antibiotics!)

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Shelly
                  Shelly Matthewson
                  Private Researcher
                  IC Support Group Leader
                  www.moarkic.com

PFD

Comment

Working...
                  X