Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could You Have Bacteria in Your Small Intestine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could You Have Bacteria in Your Small Intestine?

This is a repeat posting that I also put on the Irritable Bowel forum.

I thought people need to see that an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine can possibly affect the immune response in the bladder and elsewhere.

Below is repeat:

So, I've just finished the hydrogen (lactulose) breath test this morning; My GI doc suspected I have SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). He was correct!!

If either the hydrogen or methane goes up more than 12 points from baseline, it's considered a positive. I went from 5 points hydrogen baseline to 33 points at 60 minutes, to 52 points at 90 minutes. My methane stayed the same.

I am to take 2 200 mg Xifaxan/3X/day for 10 days. This is the generic for RIFAXAMIN.
    It is an antibiotic. I will touch base with him if I am not better.

I will see how this goes in helping my IBS. My primary symptoms: bloating after meals, intestinal gas, cramping which is severe on occasion, diarrhea with the cramping. Supposedly, if the methane is increased, this coincides with IBS-C. I do not have increase of methane, but I do have constipation.

I'm posting this because I was given some other articles to read by the tech, and it seems that there are other avenues to explore as to how the SIBO can affect the entire body in general. For instance, there may be an immune response to the fact that the bacteria are proliferating in the small intestine where they don't belong. Sleep can be affected. Who knows, maybe our IC is connected(?);that's my idea and my GI docs idea as well. Also there seems to be a high correlation between fibromyalgia and SIBO. Altered gut motility is another symptom of SIBO.

According to what I've read on the internet, your nutritional status can be compromised and fatigue is common.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, this is something else to bring up with your docs.

If I can help anybody, it's worth it.
    Diagnoses: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (2012),Interstitial Cystitis (2003), Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia (2003), GERD (since ?), IBS (since ?), Low Blood Volume (2006), Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (2007)

Medicines:
    Claritin 10 mg/AM for MCAS and allergies
    Synthroid
    Aciphex 20 mg in PM for GERD
    Zantac 75 mg, one at night for MCAS and GERD
    Singulair 10 mg in AM, for MCAS & allergies
    Zyrtec 5 mg/PM for MCAS and allergies

Non-Medicinal Helps:
    glucosamine 500mg/MSM 500mg 2 X/day
    I avoid foods that I react to in my esophagus, bowel and bladder, and I react to many things. It is an imperfect method, but it is all that I do at the moment.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Phillipians 4:13)

bacteria

futurehope,
    I was looking up small bowel bacteria overgrowth and came across your thread from a few years back. I have just been diagnosed with this. I was just wondering if you got any treatment that helped? I am a probotic dialy, but still have issues with epigastric pain and gas after eating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Maryann

Comment

My Response

No, the Xifaxin regimen did not help most of my issues. I do take the pills for a 10 day course every three months or when my cramping starts up again. It stops severe cramping and diarrhea from taking over my life.

Usually, on a routine basis, I have gut dysmotility. Milk, in liquid form, can send me into spaz attacks, as can nasal decongestants and a host of other things.

I'm resigned to living with irritable bowel, but I do take 2 probiotics/day just in case it keeps my bladder happier to treat the SIBO.

Since my bladder has been able to tolerate so much more than at the beginning of having IC, I will not stop any of the things I currently do. I want to keep on being okay bladder-wise.

If you find out anything,, let me know. I would like to hear what symptoms you have that you are trying to fix?
      Diagnoses: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (2012),Interstitial Cystitis (2003), Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia (2003), GERD (since ?), IBS (since ?), Low Blood Volume (2006), Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (2007)

Medicines:
      Synthroid

Non-Medicinal Helps:
      I avoid foods that I react to in my esophagus, bowel and bladder, and I react to many things. It is an imperfect method, but it is all that I do at the moment.

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks so much for replying. My main symptoms were constant gas, diarrhea, and weight loss. I would sometimes cramp up so bad in my epigastaric area that it would bend me over. I couldn't even walk straight. I went to the bathroom about five or six times a day. They put me on elavil which helped, but I now get constipated from time to time. I can tell a big difference in the antibiotic, but my bladder has been hurting, but the pharmacist stated that the medicine only goes directly to the small bowel. But with IC anything is possible! I noticed when I cut out all sweets, fruits, and breads I got much better, but I just can't live without those things especially since I am on the IC diet. I hope I don't have to keep on the antibiotic. My copay is about 75.00. That is very expensive for me.
        Maryann

Comment

I think the abdominal pain and spasms can cause sympathetic bladder spasms, so I'd trust the pharmacist on that.
          Karin
          I am not a doctor. If I seem to be giving medical advice, please do disregard it. Or I shall be forced to shoot.
          Diagnosed with glomerulations, IC May 8, 2009
          Currently in remission
          Other Medications: Vitamin D3, pristiq, abilify, wellbutrin, Lipitor, propranolol (for tremor)
          Other Autoimmune: IBS

Comment

Navemj

You sound like a candidate for the antibiotics. The cramping, diarrhea and weight loss may be helped.

As for bladder pain from the pills, that may be so because you are "upsetting" the status quo. You are changing the gut flora and this may affect the bladder. Personally, I would not stop taking the antibiotics. How long are you supposed to be taking them?

I know for a fact that the more sugar foods I eat (which I normally try to avoid except on vacation), and the more fruits, the faster my gut goes into SIBO. I should probably be on antibiotics continuously, but I can't. They use another antibiotic on a low dose to keep SIBO away, but, the name of it slips my mind at the moment. It starts with the letter E. Erythromycin, I think? Anyway, that pill makes me sick. I cannot take it in any dose.

As for xifaxin, I can't take it continuously because I suspect the effects would diminish over time as the bacteria would become resistant?

So I rely on probiotics and a good diet and a course of xifaxin with at least three months between courses.

Use your judgement on the sugar issue. Sometimes we have to choose between eating and not eating and it is not an easy decision.

Medicines:
            Synthroid

Non-Medicinal Helps:

Comment

diet

what does your diet consist of? I am not sure what to eat. It seems everything hurts!
              Thanks,
              Maryann

Comment

Working...
              X