Macrobid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macrobid

I have been taking 100mg of Macrobid every night at bedtime. I take it because I am very prone to UTI's. They were propholactic for sex and instills and he told me to just take them every day....so, I did, for about 1 1/2 years. My IC pain was so much better after taking them so I was thrilled that something helped the pain. Now he has decided he won't refill my abx anymore and wants to see me. In 2 days I have noticed a lot of increased pain, spasms, frequency, etc. I know to go in and get a culture if it gets worse but this feels like my old IC pain. I was never pain free, but anything that helps take the edge off is great.

So now I am faced with this pain and other symptoms again and just really wonder how the Macrobid worked on my bladder to control the pain. I've taken at least 6 doses of pyridium in the past several days and I could go for weeks without taking it while on the meds.

I guess I have no choice but to make my appt and see what he wants to do, but he told me in November that he didn't want to see me for a year. I am thinking he wants to do another hydro on me. SIGH...

Anyone have any insight as to why the abx gave me so much relief?
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

No...But I would certainly tell him how much it helped and that you really do not want to go off of it. Hopefully, he will listen to you and change his mind.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Antibiotics do have anti-infammatory qualities, which is good when we're trying to get out of an infection because it eases the pain.

I hope he'll be able to prescribe something else for the inflammation.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Infection?

There is also the possibility that you have an infection that has never been diagnosed. Many of us have found that a broth culture vs the routine culture can uncover bacteria that have not been found in the past. The Macrobid could be keeping the bacteria at a low level (but 1 Macrobid per day is not enough to thoroughly treat an infection). There is a lab that will do a broth culture. You can send in a specimen and they will send you a report with a sensitivity test result showing antibiotics that will treat any bacteria found. Perhaps then your doctor would prescribe a therapeutic dose to see if you respond.
        Last edited by ICNDonna; 06-11-2008, 01:59 AM. Reason: Removed advertising.

Comment

My uro had me on continous antibiotics for about a year. I took 500mg Bactrim 2 x day. I always feel better when taking them...Then I started hearing about how taking antibiotics daily could cause more damage than it actually helps. I guess it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. I am rethinking starting it though. It really helped me. I figure if it makes my pain so much more bareable, does it killing the good bacteria really matter? It is kinda a "does the benefit outweigh the risk" senario? I never had any problems arise from all of my "good bacteria being killed off" as some people put it. Continious antibiotic therapy is very controversial in the treatment of IC...I dont think it has been used as a treatment long enough to see the long term effects and that is why some drs are so against it, fear of the unknown. Definitely let the dr know how much it helped you and judt go from there...If there is a reason he wants you to stop make sure he explains why so you can research his claims and if necessary you can go in armed with info stating otherwise. I understand drs. being hesitant about some treatments but IMHO I think if it isn't super dangerous, or something super absured, it is my body and if I tell you something works and I haven't had any bad side effects, then let me have it....Of course that isn't for all types of meds like narcotics or benzos or things that have a high dose of overdoses...Imagine if everyone could just walk into the dr and get whatever meds they wanted. We would have a lot of dead and drugged out people. Not to mention the fact, if it were like that, what would be the point of prescriptions. If drs gave pts whatever they wanted they might as well make everything over the counter...What you are asking for isn't one of those types of drugs, it is an antibiotic...I am not saying they aren't dangerous b/c all meds are dangerous if not taken properly....It's not like you are telling him you want an unlimited supply of IV Dilaudid or something...Keep us apdated as to his decision and if you find any info when researching about the ill effects of antibiotic theray please post your findings...I hope he helps you...It sucks when you find something to help you and they don't want you to have it. Luckily I have never had a dr take any meds from me....I can pretty much tell my pain dr and my uro whatever I want to try and they let me try it.
          With Lots of Love and Wishes for Pain Free Days~Heather

~I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis at the age of 23, 4 months after getting married. I also have severe Endometriosis, Adhesion Disease and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. All of which were diagnosed AFTER being diagnosed with IC. Before IC my only health issues were a history of migraines since I was a child and a battle with cervical dysplasia. I had a LEEP in 2007 and have been clear of the cancerous cells since.~

~Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, concerns or comments. Or if you just need a friend, someone to listen. I am almost always lurking around online somewhere. LOL~

Comment

Antibiotic treatment

I can't stress enough that if you use antibiotics they should be tailored to treat the specific bacteria. Routine cultures do not always find any or all of the bacteria present so many of us have found the broth culture to be more dependable.

It is true that the antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your intestines and so you should take probiotics that contain billions of good bacteria (available at a health food store) to replace them. Probiotics should be taken at least an hour or more before or after the antibiotic dose. We need good bacteria in out intestines to keep the bad bacteria under control. But E. coli that cause many UTIs are supposed to be in the intestines and we don't know why they cause problems for some of us when in the bladder. Bactrim would treat a UTI caused by E. coli. But there are other types of bacteria that can cause UTIs and they might require a different antibiotic. That's why a broth culture to discover exactly which bacteria are there is important.

Comment

Hi Sandy. I always do better on Macrobid, it always seems to help my symptoms some. I had 3 uit's this year so thats one of my questions tonight if he will let me have it for preventative. I know my 2 infections were related to being cathed from my hysterectomy, but I noticed taking macrobid while waiting for my last culture which was negative and it actually helped me a little. So I hope that he will give it back to you since it helped you so much. Lisa
              Lisa
              Current meds:Elavil, Lortab as needed, Vivelle dot hormone patch 0.1mg, estrace cream, lidocaine ointment, pepcid
              Diagnosis: IC in 1999 , IBS, Pelvic floor dysfunction, vulvodynia, vestibulitis, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, hunners ulcers on bladder, hysterectomy 2/08, fibro 3/08, sciataca

Comment

I am a wonderful picture of overuse of antibiotics. When I was a child and antibiotics were "new" on the scene, they were prescribed for everything from a cold to a pimple on my nose! The end result is that I developed allergies to penicillin and sulfa, which sometimes makes it difficult (and expensive) to treat any infection. I am told I am very fortunate that I did not develop antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which can be extremely dangerous.

Now, on the advice of my physicians, I take antibiotics only if an infection has been confirmed by culture --- or if I'm on my way to the operating room.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Comment

I guess I'll suck it up and call the doctor's office tomorrow and make an appt. I really don't want to go but it seems like I'm going to have to. I managed to be 'intimate' last night and the pain afterward and this morning was unbearable. I don't remember hurting like that, not that bad at least, ever!! I've tried every RX out there for IC so I don't know what he can do for me at this point. I really want my Macrobid back but I know that's probably not a good idea. Sometimes it really sucks to have IC, ya know?
                  *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                  *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                  *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

avoiding uti

Since I just got a UTI and I am miserable I have made myself a plan. I think that when I take probiotics I don't get an infection. I think the good bacteria crowds out the bad.. I also should take d-mannose and I have ordered uribiotic an herbal formula that seems quite impressive to me. I just can't afford to get an infection again. My herbal teacher claimed he "cured" someones IC with goldenseal which has berberine which is an anti - infective of sorts but he thinks my IC is auto immune and goldenseal won't work for that. You can't take berberine long term anyway. You might try blueberry tea. PV
                    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Purpleviolet: If someone is treating you who says he is curing IC patients, my suggestion is to see someone else.

Donna
                      Stay safe

[3MG]

Comment

I also a very prone to UTI's. I just recently started taking one macrodantin a half hour before I do an instillation, which is only once a week. I hate even doing that because what Donna said it true about getting resistant bacteria. I had a UTI(ecoli) last month and it was resistant to cipro which is not good. The weird thing is that I have only taken cipro about 6 times in my life in the last 6 years for UTI's. I cant believe that my bacteria are already resistant to it. It is pretty scary. Be careful with the overuse of antibiotics. I also took alot of pennicillin when I was small. I had strep throat all the time. My doctor at the time told my mom that taking the tonsils out was not good, so I was always on pennicillin.
                        Jen

Comment

I have been on Macrobid per day and numerous other ones. My culture is still showing UTI. So, my doctor is putting me back on bactrum. I have been fighting this infection for couple of months now since my sling. I try to give the cleanest catch possible, but can they tell if the bacteria is from maybe your skin or vagina on a culture?

Brandi

Comment

Hi, I do know when they culture it, it will show a certain kind of bacteria, then they can usually tell by the colony count if it needs to be treated. It also tells them what antibiotic is best to be used to kill the specific infection you have. Before I was diagnosed with IC, I always had large amounts of blood when they checked my urine, so they kept treating me and not culturing, well there was no infection, it was from my bladder. When I went to my family doc a few months ago to have my urine checked, the nurse said we have to treat you, I said what did you find, she said its showing blood, so we will treat you and culture it. I told her it always shows blood, but I have to tell them that cause then they will try and treat me even if there is no infection.
                            Lisa
                            Current meds:Elavil, Lortab as needed, Vivelle dot hormone patch 0.1mg, estrace cream, lidocaine ointment, pepcid
                            Diagnosis: IC in 1999 , IBS, Pelvic floor dysfunction, vulvodynia, vestibulitis, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, hunners ulcers on bladder, hysterectomy 2/08, fibro 3/08, sciataca

Comment

antibiotic resistant bacteria?

I just was on generic macrobid but luckily before I started on it I had a culture done. Unluckily I was also taking prosed/ds which probably delayed the growth of bacteria in the specimen and so it took 4 days to find out that macrobid was the wrong antibiotic and I needed another one instead. That is why I wasn't feeling like the antibiotic was completely clearing the infection (or the prosed was irritating me- don't know which) So I wonder if it means that the buggers were getting resistant to the macrobid. Got to find another way of dealing with infections. My point before about IC being "cured" was that it is my opinion that some IC is caused by infections that are not totally cleared up and maybe some herb or drug (remember the study on doxycycline helping some significantly). Long time ago I Private messaged someone on the boards who said they went into remission after some antibiotics and they replied to me that they were OK. Keep on hoping!
                              I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Working...
                              X