Nitrites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrites

Anyone know the science behind a urine culture? I'm curious while awaiting a call from my for an explanation; figured I'd inquire here in the meantime. I'm under the impression that nitrites in the urine always indicates infection. However even though nitrates were present in the sample the culture came back showing no infection..... what's up with this? I'm confused. I've been very symptomatic for the past 2 weeks; dropped off a sample at my uros to be sent fir culture (he sends all samples out for culture) only for it to come back clean. I happened to look at the results (recurds are available online) and saw the nitrites were positive in the urinalysis.
    Anyone know the science behind urine cultures? I'm a bit anxious awaiting to talk to my dr about this--any input is welcomed!

Diana
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Google Nitrites I am sure I read that they can show up from other things for example an excessive work out. I do not know this for sure but you could try looking it up on the net.
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I'd been googling which is why i'm concerned. I found out today that Nitrites can show up from other things. I have an appt with my GP to get his opinion, and hopefully he'll rx me something as I'm very symptomatic and am going nuts!

Thanks for the reply!
      (\__/)
      (o.O )

Comment

Thanks Briza....

I went to my GP today as I just COULD NOT stand this anymore. I've been house-bond for close to a month with severe frequency and urgency and some pain upon urination. I went last week and dropped off a sample at my UROs; they called me back 48 hrs later to tell me there was no infection and to just deal with the symptoms..grrrrr! Dr's rx'd me some pyridium which was nothing more than eating candy. GP today did a quick in-office dipstick and not only were there nitrites, there was also blood. Its only been a week since the culture which showed nothing. Regardless, all I know is that my symptoms were OFF THE CHARTS and COMPLETELY controlling my life. I've been urinating every 5-10 minutes everyday for the last 2 weeks and never got relief from the full-bladder feeling--I KNEW something was not right, regardless of what the stupid culture said. Fortunately my GP was understanding and rx'd me an abx to take until I can get to my URO appt on the 12th. This appt is going to be "see ya Dr as you havent been worth squat the last year!"--my GP agreed that if this Dr isnt going to AT LEAST appear interested and show any empathy towards my symptoms (hmmmmm, isnt this his job????) then its time to move on to another Dr. So, like you, I too will soon be Dr shopping. I cannot life through another episode like the one I've been in the last couple of weeks--its not normal to be completely controlled by ones bladder--I WILL NO LONGER live like this w/o some sort of aggressive intervention be it a new med, long-term abx, etc.

So thats my current situation.
        Thanks you two for replying. Its a bit amazing to me that nobody else on the boards has ever experienced the nitrites issue, nor any of the nurses/science wanted to chime in....oh well..whatever.

Thanks again!
        D
        (\__/)
        (o.O )

Comment

I'm happy to report that after just one dose of the abx that my stmptoms improved markedly. I actually lived normally yesterday and was able to exercise this morning with nothing more than a slight awareness if my bladder.I'd say the abx is working, thank goodness!! I was on the verge of a complete meltdown yesterday due to having been stopped in my tracks with the bladder. The spouse was actuasly showing cincern as he saw me mentally falling apart. I don't understand why drs, uros especially, can't understand how debilitating a bladder condition can be--it's mindbogglung to me that someone who " will do no harm" will disregard the suffering patient. It's completely uncalled for...these "drs" need to stay home if they're just going to blow patients off!
          (\__/)
          (o.O )

Comment

I'm curious too to see/hear his response regarding this. There's really not much he can say though as I'm feeling 90% normal as opposed to being housebound for the last month. If he attempts to dismiss this as a coincidence he's going to hear a lot more than he's ever bargained for. The pain from having the full bladder sensation was completely off the charts; discomfort I've never experienced before. To be glued to a damned toilet 24/7 is unscceotabke to me... There HAS to be something to treat such issues and I'm no longer going to stand back and play the submissive patient. If I KNOW what helps me then I EXPECT my DR to comply. Existing is NOT living. I guaratee that if a dr had Tull suffer for one day s/he would be doing ANYTHING to get relief... it shouldn't be different for a patient.
            I'll keep you posted how things are going and after the appt.
            (\__/)
            (o.O )

Comment

Me again

I think lots of times when they dip our urine they just say no infection they don't tell you they dip for about 10 things and don't nessceraliy tell us what else show up.

For me a small amount of bactria cause bad symptoms, an amount that would not ussally cause people problems, but people with IC feel this small amount of bacteria more readily, my GP feels it needs to be treated, I find most of the time I can tell the difference from an IC flare and a UTI.

Frequently I will bet a culture back inconclusive and I am not too sure what that means.

I agree if your uro is going to dimiss you like that It maybe be time for a new one, he maybe dosen't understand the ins and out of IC.

Take care MG
              My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

MG--thanks for the post.
                My URO is "the IC guy", and up until this latest issue I've had no problems with him. This dismissal 2 weeks ago really p*ssed me off (no pun intended). Like you said, with an already angry bladder we're more likely to feel the slightest bit of bacteria that a normal bladder wouldnt. I understand there are guidelines that are followed to determine a normal bacteria count, however when a patient is symptomatic I feel the DR should go with that instead of the culture results. I begged for a round of abx with no luck. Thank goodness for my GP. I was so mad by the time I saw him I think he would have agreed to any request just to keep me from spontaneously combusting!
                Its so unfair and unfortunate that we have to beg for help---this to me is completely unacceptable.

My URO appt is next week...we'll see how it goes.

D
                (\__/)
                (o.O )

Comment

Working...
                X