Will Anti-Biotic Therapy Interfer with Birth Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Anti-Biotic Therapy Interfer with Birth Control

They say birth control can loose its effectiveness if taking some antibiotics. If I take a "broth culture" and if some bacteria comes up, Im very interested in knowing if it can be treated. but at the same time I dont want to risk getting pregnant. my hubby and I are going back to school soon.
    Diagnosed with IC October 2009- through bladder biopsy (no glomerations or hunners ulcers found, just irritation)

I have moderate-severe IC

Currently stopped taking all medications due to pregnancy

This really is a question for a pharmacist or doctor who will know exactly which medications you are talking about, in which doses. I wouldn't go to other patients here to find this out. It really needs to be medical advice from your own doctor or pharmacist, especially since the consequences of wrong information could be serious...
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I'm on continuous Alesse birth control. But I had to take a macrobid the other day after my cystoscopy. I asked the doctor if it would interfere with my birth control and he just said "that's an old wives' tale" and said it would be fine. I googled it and the sites that I found said it does interfere. Well, I thought this is too big of a risk to take just in case it's not just a wives' tale. So this week I started taking the inactive pills to have my period and start over again next week fresh with a new pack. It's just too risky. I'm about to get married in August, and I would prefer not to have a big pregnant belly in my wedding dress!
      Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

It depends on what kind of birth control you are using. If you are using contraceptive pills or the like, check with your pharmacist, but if it's absolutely critical that you not become pregnant, either abstain or use backup methods. Barrier methods (condoms, diaphragm, etc.) wouldn't be affected by antibiotics. I don't know about other hormonal BC like rings, patches, etc. Your pharmacist would, though.

Comment

Wow be careful. I've seen many young family members unexpectedly become pregnant due to antibiotics. Read all paper work that may come with the perscription. Research all you can on whatever birth control med. you maybe on. Hugs, Ziggy

Comment

Working...
          X