Bladder infection after already being on low dose antibiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladder infection after already being on low dose antibiotics

I wasn't able to speak to the urologist when they did the culture and my labs aren't in yet, but they did clarify that I indeed had ANOTHER infection WHILE already on 50mg macrodantin! How is this possible?? I take all my meds! Leaving room for fault at most I've maybe only missed one or two, but I take them as soon as I realize. These chronic infections started in November.
    • 27 year old student
    • Had symptoms since I was 5
    • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
    • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
    • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
    • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

infection while on antibiotics

Originally posted by nekura View Post
    I wasn't able to speak to the urologist when they did the culture and my labs aren't in yet, but they did clarify that I indeed had ANOTHER infection WHILE already on 50mg macrodantin! How is this possible?? I take all my meds! Leaving room for fault at most I've maybe only missed one or two, but I take them as soon as I realize. These chronic infections started in November.
    I wonder if it's possible that the Macrodantin isn't hitting whatever is causing your infection. Perhaps another drug would work better?

Comment

They said the infection had shown weakness to macrodantin in the culture, but when I first went in said I didn't have an infection, gave me low dose macrodantin anyway, and then called back 2 days later saying I did have one and to increase dosage for 5 days then return to 50mg. Two-three weeks later this infection came. Think it had time to gain resistance from the initial low dose?
      • 27 year old student
      • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
      • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
      • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
      • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

Comment

It sounds like you might need a different antibiotic. Are they doing a culture and sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic will work best?

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Yes. It was supposed to be back Thursday, but when I called Friday it wasn't in yet. Hopefully they're just doing extensive testing. What confuses the most is how could the bacteria have been weak to macrodantin for the first culture, but then become resistant during the course of the low dose?

Thanks for the replies.
          • 27 year old student

Comment

Update: Nothing has changed.

I did go about a month without an infection while on low dose macrodantin but it came back and now I was put on low-dose trimethop after 3 days of cipro. I'm feeling pain again so I'm worrying its the infection not being effected by the trimethop. I'm allergic to sulfur so its a very hard place to be.
            • 27 year old student

Comment

Awhile back I got a bladder infection that supposedly would respond to Macrodantin. It didn't, so they switched me to Macrobid (which is more powerful). A week and a half later it was back and much worse. What we ended up doing was a shot of Rocephin (very strong injected antibiotic) and then repeated the shot 3 days later to make sure it took care of it completely. That worked.

I've been on Pen VK since December and (knock on wood), no infections since then.
              I had believed I was allergic to penicillin because my mom said I was allergic to it as a baby, but the infections became such a problem (every 6-8 weeks I'd get a new bladder infection and then a horrible flare from the infection and antibiotics) that my doctor suggested having an allergist test me to see if I really am allergic to penicillin now. I had the allergy testing in November and I am so grateful I did. I am not allergic to penicillin, the Pen VK has been a miracle for stopping the chronic infections, and when I got a bad bronchitis and a bad sinus infection, I now could take Augmentin and not worry about having to be hospitalized for IV antibiotics.

I hope you find something that helps ASAP. Chronic UTI on top of IC is incredibly frustrating!
              Wishing you better days soon,
              Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
              I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
              Source - Pinterest
              "

Current treatments:
              -IC diet
              -Elavil 50mg at night
              -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
              -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
              -Pyridium if needed,
              -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
              -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
              -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
              -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
              -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
              -Managing stress= VERY important!
              -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Oh wow Kadi, that sounds like hopeful news for me. Maybe I should an allergy test too, I was a toddler when I had the sulfur reaction.

How do they do it? I'm quite afraid of needles, but I'd go through with shots or whatever else to stop the infections.
                • 27 year old student

Comment

Working...
                X