Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bladder Biopsy being resceduled for 2 weeks from now. Has anybody been through this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladder Biopsy being resceduled for 2 weeks from now. Has anybody been through this?

I have had too many operations to count and have never really stressed about them "as long as they put me to sleep they can do as they please", was always my motto! However July 14th 2004 was one of the worst days of my life. I live about 75miles away from one of the best Hospitals we have in Canada, SunnyBrook in Toronto. I had a routine distention under general and when I woke up in recovery I was in extreme pain, bleeding and needed the bathroom asap. I first asked very politley if I could go and the Nurse said "no Adele you have stay down", so I waited a minute which felt like an hour and asked again....same response. So after five minutes I'm now in tears and in begging mode. The Nurse then said "the best I can do is a bed pan" I don't know about the rest of you but IC and bed pans just don't go together...I couldn't do it. Then from nowhere came another Nurse just coming off her break and said why are you crying, I stated that I had severe IC and needed a commode and pain relief. This Angel jumped into action saying "Oh, you poor girl, I'll be right back" So there I sat for an hour and half in recovery sitting on the commode with a demerol shot wanting to die and then they said "O.K Adele your husband had brought your vechile around and you can get dressed". WHAT !! So there I was not able to get off the commode for one second without needing to get right back on it.... sent into Toronto rush hour traffic and I'm 1 and 1/2 hrs away from home. Luckily I had a purse full of Pyridium and demerol but in the end that didn't matter because it wasn't touching me. Henry did is best stopping at every donut shop he could hit until we hit the 401 highway and panic set in for both of us. Henry was in tears because there I am in the back of the van sitting on a coffee cup screaming with pain and having a panic attack right in the middle of it. I was supposed to have my biopsy Feb 9th but had to cancel because I was in hospital here in Cobourg with a bad flare. Now their rescheduling for 2 weeks from now, they are keeping me in overnight this time and I am asking to be cathertized for when I wake up. Part of the problem last time was that they did the procedure right smack in the middle of a bad flare. I'm in a flare now and have been in one since Christmas and as you know I have bleeding when its bad. I was just wondering if anybody has gone through this and you could tell me how you were upon wakening from the biopsy. Please let me know as this last experience is weighing heavy on the upcoming surgery! Thanks for listening!

Adele
    [U]
    List of meds:
    [/U
    Hydro-Morph-Contin 12mgs 2 per day
    Pyridium 100mgs 8 per day
    Eltroxin 0.1mgs 1 per day
    Oxycocet 325mgs 8 per day
    Protein Shakes 4 per day
    Probiotics 3 per day

Crap to Deal With:

Severe IC for over 20yrs
    Crohn's
    Thyroid
    Warped Sense of Humour

Anybody?
    [U]
    List of meds:
    [/U
    Protein Shakes 4 per day
    Probiotics 3 per day

Crap to Deal With:

Severe IC for over 20yrs
    Crohn's
    Thyroid
    Warped Sense of Humour

Comment

Good luck on your surgery. you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

My doctor keeps me in the hospital overnight after a hydro --- it's not too bad the following day. It only takes us about 40 minutes to get home and I can handle the drive.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I just had this done, along with the hydro and I was VERY sore. I woke up from the anesthisia feeling okay (a lot of morphine was being given) it wasnt until the next day that I was really in pain, and it has taken about a month to feel better... I hope all goes well, let us know!
          zoloft 100mg
          lortab 10
          amatryptoline (spelling??)
          urelle

DX IC Nov. 2005
          Endo/Total Hysterectomy 2000
          gallbladder removed
          appendix
          adhesion surgery
          hydro/biopsy 2006

my xanga

Comment

Thanks everyone, I've turned into a nervous nelly and I hate it!
            Adele
            [U]
            List of meds:
            [/U
            Protein Shakes 4 per day
            Probiotics 3 per day

Crap to Deal With:

Severe IC for over 20yrs
            Crohn's
            Thyroid
            Warped Sense of Humour

Comment

The hydro will be done at the same type at the biopsy. I found it was painful for 1 day or two and extremely painful to pee on that day - had that same feeling but realised it was too painful to 'go' so drank lots of water and stayed in hospital till i felt better to go home (only 30 mins ride)
              Maybe stay longer or schedule an overnight stay nearbly so as to make it easier for you? there is a risk of infection after the hydro due to instrumentation so be careful to monitor your symptoms or have a urine test if you do have extra symptoms.
              IC diagnosis: Aug 2005
              Symptoms: Urgency, urge and irritation and urethral symptoms
              Flareup for 1 year til July 2007 (had constant urge and pain et al....)

Elmiron 100mg 3x daily April 2006 - present
              Enablex 7.5mg nightly Sep 2007 -present
              Atarax, Elavil 10mg nightly (Dec 2007)
              Acupuncture - November 2007 - present

(Past meds for IC- Cystistat, Elavil 30mg, Ditropan, long term a/bs, Prednisolone, Cimetidine, Neurontin)

Comment

I am glad they are keeping you overnight. I was in extreme pain after my distention and biopsy and the uro had me stay overnight. I have later learned that the problem happens to me after any surgery they put me under, that I retain. and can't pee.

When I had my gallbladder out the doctors agreed before the surgery that I would self cath. if I needed to and be sent home as late as possible. (As you probably know the Ontario Ministry of Health monitors gallbladder surgeries and the doc's are not supposed to keep you overnight.) At the time I thought no big deal, I had been cath.. for years. So they kept me until midnight, and then discharged me. I still had not peed but none of us worried because we had a plan. For good measure and fear of the long ride, I asked for an additional shot of pain killer before I happily headed home. Bad idea! When I got home I discovered that when you are high on pain killers it is really hard to concentrate enough to cath. yourself. Needless to say none of us (doctors or myself) had thought that through. I think I sat on the toilet about an hour just blankly starring at the cathater wondering what to do with this thing. Now I can laugh at it and my doctor and I always say now lets think this through before we get carried away with any "plans" to keep the good MOH happy.

I wish you better luck this time.

Comment

I had no problems other than a bit of discomfort upon urinating after my biopsy/cysto/hydro. I went home an hour after the procedure, slept off the anesthesia, then went to dinner with the family. The discomfort during urination only lasted a couple of hours.

just my experience
                  good luck
                  diana
                  (\__/)
                  (o.O )
                  (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Hope this helps

Hi, When i had a bladder biopsy I was at the hospital about 4 hours and of course the Uro. (not mine anymore!) said it was no big deal, chin up, suck it up etc. etc. etc.! I asked him if I needed to rest or if I should resume all activity as I had small children then and had to deal with the agony best I could. He said don't baby yourself, yada,yada, so I did. Well about 3 days later I started to bleed so hard I thought I got my period! I started passing huge clots and realized it was not my period, boy was I scared! I called and he actualy told me it was my fault because I did too much! He told me to get off my feet and put ice on my belly. I bled for so long I became anemic! These were the early days of IC, I was so young---I would never tolerate that kind of treatment today! So, the reason I am writing is to make sure you take it easy for a little while, I don't care what they say! I am sending you good thoughts and hugs--let us know how you do--Malone

Comment

Working...
                    X