Urinary Retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urinary Retention

Has any had problems with urinary retention after botox therapy for UI? I understand that 25-30% of patients have at least some retention, and in some cases must self cath for awhile. Any ideas on how many? Thanks

I can only speak for myself, but yes I have retention after Botox. I had Botox in early March and am still having to catherize a good deal. I don't think I'm going to have that treatment again since I got no relief this time. I have also had two infections since this, probably from catherizing.
    Judi W.

Comment

How exactly is botox suppose to help with IC? I know this is a rather newer treatment for IC, and was just curious.

I would read up on it and do a ton of research on it and see what this procedure entails before going through with it though if I were you. Also make sure that it is reversible just incase things could go wrong or get worse. Especially find out if the urinary retention thing is only temporary. Look at the whole big picture first before doing it and of course discuss it with your doctor first and see what he/she says and all the pro's and con's.
      Jen

Comment

RE: Urinary Retention

FYI, I don't suffer from IC... I came to this forum because of UI and bladder spasms (due to surgery), which many IC sufferers have.

I'm not sure if botox helps IC directly. It may "calm" overactivity due to IC. From the research that I have done, and from responses in this and other forums, it appears that upwards 30% of people that have this procedure will have some level of retention.

Comment

Hi! Judy W. How many botox treatment has your doctor done? I was in a 3 year trail study with Dr. Gousse down in Miami, Fl. I was his first patient and it works for me. He puts 15 injections inside the bladder wall. He uses 150 uints. I started the botox back in April 2003. The first three times I was put to sleep and know it is done in his office.

Deborah Bush
          I have IC, the IBS, Heartburn, High bloodpressure,thyrod problems, depression and clorties pain.

Comment

botox

I have had botox injections every six months since the fall of 2002. I only had a major problem with retention the first time. The 1st time I had 200 units injected into the bladder, now I never have more then 100. You can always ask you uro to start with a smaller dose and move up if it helps and doesn't cause retention. Injecting the urethra actually helps make it easier to empty my bladder. I wouldn't have it done without having both the blader and urethra injected.

Comment

Urinary Retention

Daffie - Three questions: (1) The first time you had it done, how long did the retention last? (2) How long does 100 units last? (3)And why your urethra? Was it spasming as well?

Comment

I have only had two botox treatments - one last July which gave me relief from spasms and helped the frequency, but I did have retention. He used 200 units both times. I don't think he injected my urethra. Also, I was put to sleep both times which always causes some type of problems for me. I have asked him to do it in the office but he has not done that yet.
                Judi W.

Comment

I just noticed that you are in Huntsville. Have you by chance ever seen Dr. Keith Lloyd at the Urology Clinic at UAB?
                  Judi W.

Comment

Re: Uab

Actually, no. My local Urologist and my Infectious Diseases doctor suggested Vanderbilt. They set up the original appointment. I chose the doctor, Harriette Scarpero.

Is Dr. Keith who you have seen? Did you like him?

Vanderbilt has several physicians that do this. They are also conducting a study to determine the efficacy of botox for UI. It may not be accepting patients anymore. They use "local" anesthetic, i.e., a lidocaine solution instilled in the bladder for about 15 minutes.

My doctor has suggested either general or spinal. I always opt for spinal if possible.
                    Thanks for the reply.
                    Last edited by macsmaker; 05-16-2007, 12:04 AM. Reason: Add a few comments.

Comment

I started seeing Dr. Lloyd in 1990. He was one of the first urologists in the country to treat IC. He is very good. The past two years I have been seeing a young Urologist in Montgomery, Dr. William Moore. He is not as experienced with IC but is learning and is willing to work with you and pretty much lets you make the decision on the course of treatment and medication. If I have to have my bladder removed, I will go to Dr. Lloyd because he is the best on that - in Alabama anyway.

Good luck on your Botox.
                      Judi W.

Comment

Hi Judy W I had another botox injection two weeks ago with Dr. Gousse. It is doing great. I spend 1 week in Hollywood, fl when I had it done. My hotel is right on the beach. I hope you all are feeling okal. You all have a nice weekend.

Deborah Bush
                        I have IC, the IBS, Heartburn, High bloodpressure,thyrod problems, depression and clorties pain.

Comment

I'm happy your're doing so well Deborah. I have been feeling better the past few days. Thanks for the update.

God Bless
                          Judi
                          Judi W.

Comment

Working...
                          X