Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would botox for migraines have any effect on my bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would botox for migraines have any effect on my bladder?

I went to see someone to day about having botox done on my head for migraine prevention. I am a very good candidate and am just waiting for my insurance to give the approval. I just started thinking about having 31 shots of botox all around my head and wondering if you think there's any chance it would have a negative impact on my bladder?? I don't think it would, but I am always extra careful when it comes to my IC.

Any thoughts?
    Jane
    Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
    10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
    Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
    Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
    Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Re: Would botox for migraines have any effect on my bladder?

Hmm- how does the Botox work for migraines? If the injections are directly into the head, is it supposed to reach the blood vessels? Aren't migraines caused, in part, by constricting blood vessels?

Anyway, it's a good question. Do you get the injections all at once or spread out over time? If it's all at once, I would be concerned about the bladder as well. I have heard some positive things about this particular treatment for migraines. If you decide to do it, I sure hope it works for you and that your bladder doesn't rebel. I've heard you speak about your migraines before and I know how you suffer.

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
    Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

Hi Lori, I just read the botox pamphlet. It's injected into the muscles in the head and neck to sort of paralyze them. I'm supposed to get it every three months. It's 31 shots at each visit. I doubt know if that means it gets into the blood. I would think not, but not sure.

Yes, my migraines have been just horrible the last 3-4 months. I have them more than half the month now. You know, as awful as they are, and they can be AWFUL, I would so taken them any day over an IC flare. Awful, but true.
      Jane

Current Treatment:

Used During Flares:

Comment

Hey, I was wondering, have you ever tried Butterbur for your migraines? I know my husband suffered horrid migraines for quite awhile. We went to see a neurologist about it and he suggested this natural type supplement called Butterbur. He said quite a few of his patients had gotten significant relief from them. My husband took them and they really helped his migraines. You may have already tried it, I just though I would pass it on. Now I am not sure about the bladder and if the butterbur would bother it or not. I guess you would have to try it and see.

Comment

Jen, no I haven't tried butterbur. It's one of the few things I haven't tried. My neuro told me about it years ago too. I will keep it in mind, maybe to try in the future. It's all so hard trying to find something that doesn't affect my bladder. I'm glad it helped your husband. :-)
          Jane

Current Treatment:

Used During Flares:

Comment

Yeah, I hear you. I also am the same way. I am always so scared to try things in fear of making my bladder pain worse. If you do the botox, I hope it helps your migraines. Migraines really suck, I feel for you. Big Hugs!

Originally posted by my2boys99 View Post
            Jen, no I haven't tried butterbur. It's one of the few things I haven't tried. My neuro told me about it years ago too. I will keep it in mind, maybe to try in the future. It's all so hard trying to find something that doesn't affect my bladder. I'm glad it helped your husband. :-)

Comment

My friend has the botox injections every few months for her migraines which were severe and life changing.
              This was after all other treatment options failed and she was living on heavy medication. Anyway they have
              helped her a great deal and the last treatment was the most successful (I think she has had three). She was free of pain for the first time. She does not have IC so don't know about that issue.

Comment

bev, thank you. I love hearing positive stories. I have been on so many preventative meds and they all have side effects I can't deal with. I am very hopeful that botox might help me. I was told at my evaluation that I need to give it three sessions before determining if it's helping or not. I am just praying my insurance approves it!

I did look up whether botox can get into your bloodstream, but it's unlikely (but not impossible). It's usually isolated to the muscle, so hopefully it won't affect my bladder.
                Jane

Current Treatment:

Used During Flares:

Comment

I think your doctor will put your mind at rest about the botox getting into the bloodstream. Millions of women have been having botox injections into their faces for decades now. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X