CellCept vs. Cyclosporine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CellCept vs. Cyclosporine

I just wanted to post this since it appears that people taking Cyclorsporine seem to be having trouble w/ increased creatinine levels. It appears that CellCept seems to better at NOT increasing creatinine levels and better able to help in such things as kidney transplants.

So, maybe if you are having such a problem and the Cyclocporine is helping, but you have increased creatinine levels, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching to CellCept??? I know that they are currently doing Phase II trials on CellCept and IC. And I have read that CellCept works a bit differently than Cyclosporine and it is suppose to be a bit better in terms of safety.

Here is what I found:

Creeping Creatinine in Failing Kidneys

Christopher Dudley, M.D., Southmead Hospital, Bristol, England presented results of a prospective, multicenter, randomized, controlled study designed to examine the effect on renal function of adding CellCept to the immunosuppressive regimen followed by cyclosporine withdrawal in patients with biopsy-proven chronic allograft (transplanted organ) dysfunction.

Patients included in this study had been treated with a cyclosporine-based immunosuppressive regimen and were experiencing progressively deteriorating renal function. For the purposes of this study, deteriorating renal function was defined as a negative slope of the reciprocal creatinine plotted against time. Creatinine is a marker of renal function. Progressive elevation of creatinine levels is a risk factor for loss of a transplanted kidney. One hundred forty-three patients were randomized to treatment with CellCept and cyclosporine withdrawal (n=73) or to continue treatment with cyclosporine (n=70) over a 34-week period.

Kidney function stabilized or improved in 58 percent of patients taking CellCept, compared to 32 percent taking cyclosporine. Overall, creatinine levels decreased in patients taking CellCept and increased in patients taking cyclosporine.

Yes, I too was wondering why people were using such an old immuno suppression med when there are so many new ones on the market. Perhaps it is the cost? Is it because any study about this type of med reducing pelvic pain was with Cyclorsporine, so docs will only prescribe it?

Transplant surgeons are extremely familiar with immuno suppression too bad some of our folks can't go to them. They know how to check for side effects and treat them. Being on immuno suppression is not a walk in the park and without risk, but for severe IC it may be a good alternative. Perhaps, some of the people taking these meds can tell us.

ads

Comment

CellCept Phase II

I am presently participating in the CellCept Phase II trials at Stanford and I am in senenth heaven. To participate I had to have a in office cysto-where Dr Payne found 3 ulcers (not previously seen in Hydro a year ago). These ulcers nearly kept me out of the study, but Dr Payne did a cytology & ruled out Cancer, but just to make sure he did another cysto with biopsy 2 weeks later.
      He could only find one active ulcer, which surprised all of us, took a biopsy and that was negative.
      When I started the medication I was feeling much better (of course take 2 ulcers away-who wouldn't), but still had one ulcer. I have been on 1G twice a day (2 capsules morning and 2 at night) no side affects what so ever so I thought I was on the placebo. Then the med was increased to 2G twice a day with lots of side affects. Three days after med change felt flu like symptoms- achy all over- Queasy headache-overall yuck which lasted 5 days. Now all I have is a slight headache periodically. So I beleive I am on the medication.
      When the trial started I filled out a form of what I would like to gain from this drug-that wasn't hard! I wanted "NO" pain, I want the frequency and urgency gone, and when I urinate I want to have a really loud stream with lots of urine making noise (not a spitty gotta squeeze it out pee), I want to have spontaneous sex without fear of pain during or after. WELL I have "ALL" of these things. I feel like I have never been sick. I actually traveled 4 hours without stopping 5 to 6 times to pee, and without pain-I felt like a normal person! This is the first month of the trial and I have 2 months to go, but I am going to enjoy every minute of this reprieve.
      When all is said and done I will go on 1G.
      If you get a chance to be part of this study grab it with both hands and hold on. I would have never known about this study along with a multitude of other information if it were not for this site-which has been a lifeline. Thanks to Jill and all the other IC Angels!!!!
      Jane

Comment

Working...
      X