X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angeles
    replied
    nasal congestion

My congestion in mostly nasal and my dr and <i discussed a surgery that makes the nose holes bigger (inside) I may go for it. Right now I'm on singulair and Astelin, I also use breath right nasal strips (no side effects!)sometimes...saline works to "move things"
    I{m curious to see any homeopatic thing that works. Sometimes my right nose is totally blocked and my ear starts hurting b/c of the pressure.

Leave a comment:

• pingpong
    replied
    That's the spirit!

Leave a comment:

• lauraads
    replied
    Thanks

Just one ICer who wants to share that my bladder does not tolerate Mucinex. However, I can take the prescription guafenesin and aquatabs (which is another RX namebrand for it). There is just something in the Mucinex that makes me hurt after just one tablet.

However, GREAT advice on this list. I have such bad sinus congestion that my hearing is impaired in my right ear. The doctor said the pressure was distorting my eardrum. Fun. I feel awful. Doc had me doubling my clarinex and zyrtec and trying Nasonex RX spray. Four days of the spray and my bladder is screaming!

However, I'll try the kettle idea, the saline, the humidifier, get my aquatabs script renewed and heat up some facial pads. Somewhere in there it's gotta help, right?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• candls
    replied
    NasoCup

I have terrible allergies and sinus problems. I use a NasoCup to keep me clear. I got mine from a chiro, but I just resently saw one at CVS. It looks like a small tea kettle. You mix sea salt with water, you lean over the sink with the spout in one nostril. It fills the opposit sinus cavity then drains out the other nostril. It sounds gross, but I haven't had a sinus infection in more than 2 years. I use to have them several times a year. I first thought it would bother me since I don't like nasel sprays, but it didn't bother me. During the process, you can breath through your mouth and it doesn't drain down your throat. I use it every morning since all the junk settles during the night.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• jen48446
    replied
    I hear ya on the sinus issues!!! I had success with Mucinex, it helped eliminate the phlem. Have you tried echinacea? A friend told me about it years ago, you use it for around a week (or less) it helps like an antibiotic, it helps myself & my husband who has chronic sinusitis tremendously. Also, garlic is a natural antibiotic too & good for sinuses

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Hi there,
    Ocean has preservatives in it, you might try Simply Saline instead.
    Just a thought.
    Hope you are feeling better!

Leave a comment:

• stacey79
    replied
    Hey, SMR218. YOu sound like my husband. He has a horrible time with allergies, too. In the summer of 2005 he had surgery to correct his deviated septum. That's helped him somewhat. Right now his allergies are really bothering him. He's a year-round sufferer allergic to just about anything. Poor guy. For his really miserable times, his allergist will give him a Kenalog shot. That helps him for a few months. But, there's something about it that she won't let him have the shot more than once a year or so.

Leave a comment:

• Angeles
    replied
    Nasal Congestion

I also have this problem of chronic nasal congestion, today I saw my ENT and we discussed surgery to open the "turbinades" (not sure of the spelling) but it is a surgery that my sister also had, they make the holes of your nose bigger and you are able to breathe better. Until I decide if I'll do this surgery or not I take:
    Singulair (allergy medication)
    Astelin (rx nasal spray, as needed only)
    Ocean (OTC saline rinse)
    Nasal strips (Breathe Right. They are great to sleep and be able to breath!: no side effects!)

I don't want to use deconsgestants either b/c I suffer from dry eyes and they dry you too much. I've heard Mucinex is IC friendly. I've tried it once for a cold with no problems.
    I wonder if living in an apartment with carpet and having a dog is making my allergies worse.

Leave a comment:

• Annie2
    replied
    Another vote for Simply Saline here. I ,too, am fine with Mucinex.

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    I've been taking guafenesin for the past couple of days with no problems. And I agree that saline nasal sprays are helpful.

Leave a comment:

• stacey79
    replied
    I'm not sure about the humidifier. I was just thinking about that myself. We're having frigid weather and ended up having to replace our furnace this past week. It now is blowing more air and warmer air. Wonderfully warm, but affecting the sinuses a bit.

I've had luck with the saline nose spray and also with those Breathe Right strips. I like the menthol ones. They help my hubby's year-round allergies as well. Best thing is they don't put any medicine into you to interfere with the old bladder.

Hope you feel better!

Leave a comment:

• pingpong
    replied
    I've been having trouble with a stuffy nose, except I think mine is caused by the membranes in my nasal passages being swollen, rather than congested with mucus. I wonder if a humidifier would help. It's been really cold, and my furnace has been running a lot lately and drying out the air. Does anyone know if extra humidity would help? I hate to go out and buy a humidifier if I don't need to.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Hi JBB,
    I've used Mucinex with no IC problems. My mom also has IC & she can take it too.

I use Simply Saline to rinse my nose out, which does help with congestion a bit.

Advil bothers my IC. Some patients are ok with Tylenol, but I'm not. If you try one of those, you might try it with Prelief (acid neutralizer).

Shower Soothers are fizzy disks you put in the bottom of your shower & they make Vicks steam, that helps with congestion also.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

Leave a comment:

• SharonA
    replied
    I was going to suggest the saline nose spray, also. You could try using a washcloth that has been put in hot water and then wring the water out. Then put the washcloth up to your nose and breath the hot vapor in.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Here in Australia I use Fess Nasal Spray its non medicated its a ph buffered Isotonic Saline Solution (water & salt) it is safe to use every day it will not make your sinus worse. I have not had a flare with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X