Drug called Enablex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug called Enablex

Can you please tell me if anyone has ever taken Enablex for Interstitial Cystitis? I am taking it now and it seems like ever since I have been on it my bladder STOPS functioning on and off. As we speak, I am wearing a catheter and unable to urinate on my own without it. I tried for thirty minutes yesterday and was unable to do so, so the doctor sent me to the ER to get a catheter for the Mardi Gras holidays until my Urologists' offices open again tomorrow on Wednesday. Then, hopefully I can get in and get an instillation of heparin and lidocaine and be ok at least for a few days. My husband and I saw a commercial for Enablex and it seems like it is for people who have overactive bladder and NOT bladder irritation or really for interstitial cystitis. Thoughts?
    Diagnosed in 2007, but had IC symptoms since 2002. My current regimen includes: home instillations of Marcaine, Heparin and Solu-Medrol plus vaginal valium suppositories nightly. I also use Tramadol for pain as needed.

April..
    I take it and here are the side affects:

What are the possible side effects of Enablex?
    • If you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives), stop taking Enablex and seek emergency medical attention.
    • Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take Enablex and talk to your doctor if you experience
    · dry mouth,
    · dryness of the eyes,
    · blurred vision or large pupils,
    · upset stomach,
    · headache,
    · constipation,
    · difficulty urinating,
    · drowsiness, or
    · dizziness.
    This it what it is used for:

What is Enablex?
    • Enablex relieves spasms of the bladder.
    • Enablex is used to treat overactive bladder with the symptoms of urinary frequency, urinary urgency, and urinary incontinence.
    • Enablex may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Hope this helps...
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I cannot take any drugs in that category -- not Enablex, not Vesicare, not Detrol, not Ditropan. They make me retain urine, just like you. If you have had a problem with retention in the past, and it sounds like you have, these drugs should be used with care. You may want to discuss with your doctor whether or not you should continue taking this medication when you see him again.
      Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
      *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

April,

Are you still taking peridium plus?

If you are it will make you retain urine..When I was on it.. I couldnt go at all. it was a nightmare.. So if you are taking that with enablex.. I bet thats your problem..
        Hugs
        Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
        Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
        Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
        Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
        Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Enablex and etc.

Thank you SO much. I think I am going to stop the Enablex and see if it makes a difference with bladder function. It seems like the bladder problems all started when I started that medication. Maybe I am nuts, but I would rather DO ANYTHING right now than have this catheter in me one more day.
          Diagnosed in 2007, but had IC symptoms since 2002. My current regimen includes: home instillations of Marcaine, Heparin and Solu-Medrol plus vaginal valium suppositories nightly. I also use Tramadol for pain as needed.

Comment

Enablex

I have taken Enablex both 7.5 and 15 mg, thank God it didnt stop me from peeing, but did cut down a lot on the urgency and pain if I didnt go.
            Hope you figure it out, it must be awful to have a catheter constantly?
            Might also have the Doc check all your other meds, as too many narcotic or drying meds on top of the Enablex probably arent helping the whole picture.
            Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
            Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

Originally posted by sami4
              I have taken Enablex both 7.5 and 15 mg, thank God it didnt stop me from peeing, but did cut down a lot on the urgency and pain if I didnt go.
              Hope you figure it out, it must be awful to have a catheter constantly?
              Might also have the Doc check all your other meds, as too many narcotic or drying meds on top of the Enablex probably arent helping the whole picture.
              Sammi
              Yes, Sammi. Thank you. That thought entered my mind when I was reading up on all my new medications. I am on a lot of pain medications plus the Enablex and Pyridium plus. All of my medications mention urinary retention as a possible side effect so I am cutting the ones I can live without, I am keeping the others. I am on Methadone 10mg two times daily with scheduled doses of Percocet and Phenerghan in between. I think the pain medication makes me more comfortable so I am making an educated decision to quit taking the Enablex and the Pyridium because I am not (at least as I can tell) benefiting at all from those two meds, but can actually function if I take the pain meds....otherwise, I just stay in bed all day.

God Bless us Everyone....especially us ICer's and our families!

Comment

Working...
              X