cath yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cath yourself?

So I have been having trouble with urinary retention, (had to go to the ER twice last month, and get one of those leg bags). So my primary doctor said that self cath can be helpful, but that her patients never get off that. Well my uro said that they can get off that. So I don't know. I am just fed up with my bladder and the meds, docs never know what to do. Anyway, I guess I am just asking if anyone has ever had to do this, and did it really help, or make things a lot worse such as never getting off it or something.

self cathing is easy!!

Hi Ladylin,
    I self cath, I started self cathing two years ago due to IC problems.
    I had to have major surgery 5 months ago due serious complications,I had my bladder removed, and self cath through a mitrofanoff valve in my belly button.
    It is very easy and empties the bladder completely.
    Everything has to clean and I take medical supplies in a toiletrie bag when I go out.
    I have some problems at the moment, because my new bladder is over active and I am still peeing bucket loads.
    Personally I would give self cathing a go if I was you.
    You may find this is the solution to your problem.
    I hope this has helped you.
    Good luck hunny
    love Jill xxx
    I have had IC and PBS for 20+ years.
    Tried every medication I can think off.
    Had a Clam Cystoplasty with Mitrofanoff in November 2006.
    Had a Total Cystectomy, with a neobladder, Urethradectomy and Mitrofanoff review, also had a peristomal hernia repaired.
    4th october 2007.

Check out my profile on www.myspace.com/surreychick.
    if you want to know more about me.

Comment

Hi Ladylin.
      Did the doctor say what is causing you the retention issues? I am sorry you are dealing with that as it is an awful feeling. I dont understand what you doctor meant by saying that you will never get off that if you start? I have been doing baldder instillations and every time I have one, I cant pee the stuff out and have to cath it out(my husband actually cathed it out for me). The only thing I think I would be worried about with the self cathing would be risk of infection and also the pain from doing it so often. Are you able to pee by yourself at all? I would definitely want to know why you are having urinary retention though. I hope you find some answers and help soon.
      Jen

Comment

I self-cath for home instillations. I started with 7-9 a week. Over time I have reduced the instillations to 2-3 a week for the most part and sometimes as long as 10-12 days between instillations. I don't know how this would compare to just cathing but the number of treatments for me have deceased over the years.
        TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
        My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
        Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
        I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
        Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
        Louann

Comment

Working...
        X