Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poise Pads

Hey,

I don't know where to post this, but I guess its an alternative therapy... I was wondering if any of you have used poise pads? I am so grossed out and embarrassed by asking this... but are the pads specifically just for leaking or are they ok for all out incontinence? I don't have a problem with incontinence normally, but I'm going on a 9 hour car ride on Thursday and I want something on for protection just in case we're stuck in traffic and crawling to the nearest rest stop. We'll be on I-95 going north through NYC and by Boston too... which are two really heavily trafficked areas. When I get the urge (esp. on the road) I can not usually hold it more than 5-10 minutes... so, I'm looking for something I can wear where I can just GO if no bathrooms are available.

Thanks!

I know it's embarassing, but we've all been there. Or most anyway. I would say the Poise pads wouldn't be the proper thing because of leakage issues. More likely the Depends underwear or something like that.

I'll share. I had one day where I'd had retention for several days, and then just sitting in the car I finally could go. So I did. Embarassing yes. Do I know others here can relate or at least not judge? Definitely! But anyway, that's how I know the Poise pads won't be enough. I had to do alot of cleaning in my car and go into WalMart to buy new clothes since I was an hour from home. *sigh*
    Don't ya just love this disease?
    http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

Hey,
      I posted something on this topic awhile ago myself. I have to say, I use them all the time now! The Serenity pads are good also. If I'm going on walks or riding in the car I wear them, because it just gives me enough peace of mind that if I HAVE to go, I can. For me they are helpful because when I do go, I only go alittle anyway, so the pads are good for that. I mean if you really have to go alot they probably won't help as much, but for just alittle to atleast help with the pain, they help. Are you traveling by yourself or with other people? Because another idea if you can do this, is bring a plastic cup with you for an emergency or get the travel johns in the IC store. I've gone in the cups when I was desperate and it works. Hey, we have to do what we have to do right? So plan ahead and hopefully then you won't feel too stressed about the drive, I know it helps me.

Kari
      Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Comment

I've used all product's but find Tenna the best for me .I't has a cotton like cover that is gentle ,And I find it does not cause any irritation, As I'm very sensative as we all are there.
        Hugs Sandra
        "Never Give Up."

To view pictures of my creative interests and Maine Coon kittens click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My Photobucket Link:
        http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...ramack_photos/

Comment

Hmm, would one of the big Kotex overnights be enough? Not sure myself.
          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
          -Managing stress= VERY important!
          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

You might think about something like the "Travel John" (available in the ICN Shop) instead of planning to urinate into depends or a similar product. If you wear a loose fitting skirt, the travel john can be easily used in a car as long as you're with just family. I doubt that any kind of pad, including the kotex overnights would absorb enough liquid quickly enough to prevent leaking.

Also --- be careful using pads with deodorant --- they can be extremely irritating.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

hmmm

i've been wondering the same thing. i have def used cups while stuck in traffic! thank god for tinted windows and understanding husbands. if i'm in the middle of nowhere i have no problem pulling over and going on the side of the road, broad daylight or not, i figure that when the speed limit in colorado is 75 miles an hour no one can see too much of anything if i'm just off the highway on an exit road.
              Lee Ann
              Current Rx Meds:
              Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
              Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
              Hooray for babies!
              Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
              Didn't work for me:
              Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
              IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

If your going protection I suggest Depends Underwear. (The pull-on kind). They are whole lot more absorbent than pads. I have to wear them most of the time because incontinence is one my main MS symptoms. IC is compounding the problem even more. Good luck on your trip.
                Natalie

I am multi-diseased with : MS, IC, IBS, and PDF

Diagnosed with IC - May 2006 IC symptoms : burning and frequency

Diagnosed with MS - March 2004 MS symptoms numbness in arms and legs, muscle weakness, major lack of bladder control and increasing bowel control problems. I wear Depend underwear 24/7.

Diagnosed with IBS - Sept 23, 2008

Diagnosed with PFD - Oct 1, 2008

Divorced Oct. 2009

IC Meds

Elmiron
                Hydroxyzine
                Elavil
                Lortab for pain
                Uristat

MS Meds:

Betaseron
                Novantrone
                Corticosteroids
                Skelaxin ( muscle relaxer)
                Neurototin for pain

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

The Serenity Prayer:
                God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I too would suggest the Depends full cover underwear. I bought some Poise pads just in case for a field trip. I tested with some water how much the stick on pads could hold, and the water spilled over the sides if the pad got too full.

I know the Depends underwear works because when my mom was home with alzheimers, we had to use Depends on her and didn't have a problem with leaking.
                  bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

Working...
                  X