Green Tea and IC article........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Tea and IC article........

(A note from ICN President Jill (05/21/07) - This article is, sadly, representative of how disconnected some researchers are with patients in the sense that anyone who spent any time with IC patients know that green tea badly exacerbates our symptoms... just as many patients below have described. But, if they can somehow isolate the active ingredient that seems to be fighting inflammation and then prepare it in a low acid form that an IC bladder can tolerate... it might be okay. But, for now, please don't start drinking green tea again. This study was done, if I remember correctly, on mice... and doesn't translate at all into an IC patients daily diet routine.)

HI Here's an article that my husband found this morning about Green Tea and IC on the Eureka Alert website.......Can anyone drink Green Tea and not have bladder pain? I'm going to try it again but it seemed the last time I tried it I had bladder pain........ Roxie
    http://www.upmc.com/Communications/N...y/GreenTea.htm

Here's the short version of the article..........

Public release date: 20-May-2007
    [ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

[email protected]
    412-647-3555
    University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences

Green tea may protect the bladder from becoming inflamed
    ANAHEIM, Calif., May 20 – Herbal agents could be used to treat inflammatory bladder diseases, according to a preliminary study that looked at the ability of green tea to protect bladder cells from inflammation. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine study, being presented at the annual meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA) in Anaheim, Calif., found that components of green tea protected bladder cells from damage in culture. The study is Abstract 299 in the AUA proceedings.

Green tea, reported to have many health benefits, is rich in powerful antioxidants that make it a possible remedy for many medical conditions. It is comprised of catechins – plant metabolites that provide it with many anti-oxidative properties.

"We discovered that catechins found in green tea protected both normal and cancerous bladder cells from inflammation when we exposed the cells to hydrogen peroxide," said Michael B. Chancellor, M.D., professor of urology and gynecology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. "Although further studies are needed, these results indicate herbal supplements from green tea could be a treatment option for various bladder conditions that are caused by injury or inflammation."

In the study, normal and cancerous bladder cells were exposed to two major catechin components of green tea, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and epicatechin gallate (ECG), for 23 hours. Both significantly protected cell lines from exposure to hydrogen peroxide, which damages or kills cells. The concentrations of EGCG and ECG used in the study were at levels that may be achieved through dietary intake.

###
    Approximately ten million American adults have problems controlling their bladders. Bladder disease affects both men and women and can include incontinence or interstitial cystitis, a chronic inflammatory condition that causes frequent, urgent and painful urination and pelvic discomfort.

Co-investigators of the study include Shelby Morrisroe, M.D., Christian Coyle, Ph.D., Brian Phillips, Ph.D., William de Groat, Ph.D., and Naoki Yoshimura, M.D., Ph.D., all with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

The study is funded by the Fishbein Family CURE-IC Program.
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM.

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

green tea

I love green tea but I can't drink it b/c it definitely flares me.
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Very interesting.. I wonder how they did thier study, because I know green tea kills my bladder...
      Hugs
      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I wonder that too.......I feel like writing them and telling them to do a study from us on this site! I'll bet they'd come to a different conclusion! LOL Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
        June 2007
        First Cysto 1979
        Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
        Bladder surgery 2000
        Laminectomy 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
        I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Yea I bet they would...lol I really wish I could drink grren tea because I love it.. You know the funny thing is just months before I was dg with IC is when I first started drinking it.. I was thinking maybe it contributed to the IC..lol
          Oh well what do I know...lol

Ronda
          Hugs
          Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
          http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
          Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
          Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
          Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
          Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

We bought green tea a cpl years ago when it came out on the news that green tea has so many good health qualities.....but it just made my bladder scream! lol So my husband had to finish off the tea we bought I love tea in general and can't drink any now. I drink water.....and I get SO tired of water! Roxie

Dx'd Hypothyroid
            June 2007
            First Cysto 1979
            Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
            Bladder surgery 2000
            Laminectomy 1989

Comment

Green tea, while it doesnt cause me pain, it does cause a significant increase in frequency. I had some a week ago and never thought I'd ever get a reprieve from the bathroom!..

Diana
              (\__/)
              (o.O )
              (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

I used to drink green tea daily before i got IC , it didnt seem to help me ward off this disease.

I cant drink it now, it really flares me(ugh, the memories) ouch!

Lyme disease diagnosed 11/05
                vulvar vestibulitis diagnosed 2/06 -worst case she has ever seen..very bad.
                IC diagnosed with hydro/cysto- may 17, 2006

Over growth of lactobicilli found 8/07 treating with doxy.

Was able to get my first internal exam evaluation for PFD....wohoo 1/18/07:woohoo:

8/22/07- was able to get my first speculum exam, with pap

Strep D found in bladder with United medical labs May 2006
                2 strains of strep in stool culture 9/06
                high Strep ASO titre found 10/06

NEW MED

Capsasin cream-once a day for 20min,
                BUt wont lie it does burn

About to start valium supositories for PFD

Trigger point injections- oct 07

Current meds:
                Neurontin- 100mg at night supposed to work up to 300mg if i can tolerate it
                Zanaflex 2mg
                IC and low oxalate diet, no sugar diet
                Xanax for appointments to help relax me since they cause so much pain

Started PT 3/07, PT has really helped me in ways I never knew that it would

Meds ive tried
                Lyrica
                Klonopin
                Singulair
                Claritin
                Pyridium
                Soma- can barely tolerate half a pill
                Atropine cream- didnt seem to work, although i found out I was applying the creams wrong
                Estradiol cream
                Urelle- caused worse bladder spasm and retention

Various antibiotics for lyme which caused yeast and made the IC and VV worse

waiting for the next chronic illness to pop up

"Did you know?
                Every 15 seconds,
                a person is
                diagnosed with
                interstitial cystitis."
                Source: J. Dimitrakov, MD

Comment

green tea/white tea

I found decaf green tea really gave me a fit of frequency that would last for a couple of hours. I was able recently to drink white, decaf tea without a problem. White tea is even higher than green in healthful components, and is natually lower in caffein than most decaf teas or coffees. White tea that is not decaf would be very tiny in any.
                  Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
                  Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

What Teas are then recommended???

I certainly love Green tea and chamomile but my bladder goes into pain and frequency after ten minutes after drinking... Mint on the contrary seems to not give me trouble... any, recommendations for teas???

Hope you all are feeling good!
                    Firestarter
                    Current Meds:
                    Prozac to control anxieties due to IC.
                    Stop takin Elmiron because of the side effects... Headaches, nausea, blurry vision and Fatigue.Back on Elmiron
                    Feel alot better off the Emiron frm anxieties. Still have urinary frequency and at night it's worse with flatulence,mucle cramps and spasms.
                    Low testosorone, On Pacthes!
                    Hydroxyzine pamoate 25mg

Comment

I know I can't drink green tea one way or the other, either due to bladder pain/frequency; or due to my INR if (if I drink too much of it; it throws it way off!) Anyway I can drink Chamomile (my favorite is Honey vanilla Chamomile)

Comment

Firestarter, chamomile and marshmallow root should be soothing teas to try. I've seen Roobios mentioned on this site, but I think it tastes AWFUL! Not sure about mint, not a favorite, but give it a try. I've seen pure blueberry leaf team mentioned here, but be sure there are no other ingredients.

Comment

At your own risk, i didn't do well on it at all and my symptoms are somewhat well managed, food is a bit of a trigger still but not nearly as much as before the neurostimulator. If you try it, i suggest the naturally decaffeinated one for starters.

chantal

Comment

Green tea for some reason takes some of the pelvic pain away. Well I wasn't exactly diagnosed with IC but with Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome since my uro doesn't know whether it's my prostate or bladder that is causing all the pain but he is leaning towards the prostate.

Comment

I drink naturally decaffeinated green tea twice a day and I am not bother with
                              it, we are so different in how we all deal with our IC .

Debbie
                              Thinking positive has got me through to another day!!

Comment

Working...
                              X