No announcement yet.

Ophenidrine Citrate (Flexon, Norflex)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ophenidrine Citrate (Flexon, Norflex)?

I asked about this under pain management, but it was a very LONG post describing a rough day and so far no responses on the actual drug. Has anyone tried this for IC and/or PFD pain? It is a muscle relaxer that is delayed release. My Doctor said it is less sedative than Valium (which I am currently using) and is not controlled, which makes it easier to get refilled. My research shows it is helpful for everything from backaches and migraines to Parkinson's disease. But I haven't heard of it used for IC and PFD.
    Let me know if you tried this and what your results were. I haven't filled the script yet (waiting for more $ first!) and am just looking for info in the mean time.
    Rachel
    DX's:
    IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
    three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
    Currently using:
    Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
    Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
    I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

I take this...it's basically a "weak" muscle relaxant, and doesn't typically make you as drowsy as other muscle relaxants like for instance Flexeril. I don't take it for IC though, I take it for fibro. I took it in the past too, before my dx of fibro for back pain or neck pain that was really bad. I've been on it many months and still have IC symptoms (newly diagnosed-finally!) so in my case I guess I'd have to say it hasn't helped. In fact, I take so many meds, this is one I've comtemplating going off of, since I am not sure it even helps my fibro, since I take so many other things which may actually be better.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
    My dx: RA, Fibro, Interstitial Cystitis, Bipolar Type 2, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, IBS
    My meds: MTX, Leukovorin, Humira, Prednisone for RA flares, Celebrex, Orphenedrine, Tramadol as needed, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lyrica, Trazodone, Nexium, Singulair, Atarax, Elmiron, Provigil, and Macrobid/Trimethoprim (rotate monthly). I also take a multivitamin, Magnesium, Calcium supplements, fiber supplements, probiotics, and vitamin D.
    Current treatments: bladder instillations

Come play with me on Facebook!

Comment

I haven't heard of that medication, but I too am always looking for meds that won't make drowsy.I have found, unfortunately, that it seems up to this point for me the less drowsy, the less potent..(IE it don't do doo doo) I am very frustrated...I too use diazapam, same dosage but for about 4 years...I vary it so I don't get so locked it to as well as the morphine meds I'm on..."sigh" . I actually can manage a few days w/o valium if I really work on my pelvic floor stuff, stretching and relaxing but I wind up eventually visiting the ol' pill. I don't feel anything, except relaxation of my muscles, and a contributing sleepiness...(I also take Topamax for nasty migraines) There are days I can't keep my eyes open.....Fibro was just added to my list of fun stuff too!!! whee...Ah...what a life...I didn't think I'd feel like this til I was at least 70.

good luck...If you anyone has any luck, let us know
      I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
      90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
      Percocet as needed
      Topomax 100mg day
      Ambien 10 mg bed
      desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Makin It, I understand! I am so tired and so worn out, physically and mentally. I have mentioned before that at 25, my 78 year old Grandmother is in better health than I am. She is on no medictaion, she exercieses 3 days a week and she uses tha bathroom much much much less than I! But she doesn't have IC and that is the point. I didn't ever dream I would be so tired and feel so old at 25. To be honest, even on days I don't take meds (whichhas only happened a few times because I ran out) I still feel tired. All over. Every bone in my body!
        I am going to start this on wednesday hopefully, we'll see how it oges. I already feel like I have to take more and mroe Valium when that pain gets really bad. During my bad flare on Thursday, I took all three (but in halves throught the day) and still couldn't get off the couch. And that was on my max dose of Vicadin as well. But thankfully most days are not like that.
        And the Valium doesn't help with my Frequency or Urgency, just stops all the constant spasms down there and helps relieve the pain, but not eliminate it.
        I'll let you know how it goes.
        Rachel
        DX's:

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
        three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
        Currently using:
        Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
        Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer

Comment

Yeah..I wish I could forget to take my meds...when I do...I get very ill.(physical withdrawals...very, very yucky) I take 270 mgs a day of MS contin for constant pain (120 in AM, 150 in PM) plus the valium and I'm supposed to take 200 mgs a day of Topamax for migraines...can't do it...I have NO LIFE. so that is cut almost in in half...Oxycontin for breakthrough pain and Valium...Oh and Benedryl to actually Sleep deeply at night. And I wonder why I have Narcolepsy. So, true...So True....At least I'm coherant right now....Tee hee...
          Last edited by MakinIT; 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM. Reason: words
          I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Percocet as needed
          Topomax 100mg day
          Ambien 10 mg bed
          desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, MakenIt, I won't be able to get it until tomorrow (it's only $20 but we have been broke this week!
            I do understand that though! I hate being so tired. I want desperately to get back to a normal life! I see you were a special ed teacher. I bet we would get along so well! I help run a kids group for children with emotional and behavioral problems while their parents attend a support group at our agency (it's very part time, only two to three nights a week).
            I don't know what I want to pursue my Bachelors in yet, weither education or human services focusing on mental health (which is why I am not back at school yet) but I have my teaching assistant certification. I wasn't able to get into a school last fall because my IC symptoms were out of control. I want desperately to be hired this year, but still am not really feeling up to it! I can't get SSD because I only worked part time while in college so I don't have enough "credits". Just thought I'd share. I appreciate so much what special ed teachers do (my daughter has ADHD) and think you guys are not given enough credit!
            Anyways, I am very sorry you haven't been able to work. That must be really rough. I know it was off topic, but I though I would share that we had a little in common.

Like I said, I'll let you know how this meds goes!
            Rachel
            DX's:

I've Tried:
            Currently using:

Comment

The meds are the reason I don't work...yes, and the pain...it is very unpredictable. However, working with kids who have very fast reflexes and can hurt you can slow you down enough that someone could have some serious injuries. I've been in a funk for 4 years b/c I have a Master's degree in special ed, and bachelor's in Psych/Biology...It truly sucks believe me, I've been in and out of depression for that during this time. I really need to work, but I am so unpredictable..Oh well...

Percocet as needed
              Topomax 100mg day
              Ambien 10 mg bed
              desipramine 25 mgs

Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm so sorry ! I do understand in a way. My IC isn't as severe as yours from the sounds of it though. I recently took the test in my state to be considered to be hired in a group home, as a home visiter, in a dayhab with children or adults with devlopmental disabilities or mental illnesses, basically anyplace that is state funded, not private. I passed the test and would have went on to apply at specific site that had job openings in my area. I was interested in home visiting/skillbuilding and dayhab. I was qualified for both. Unfortunately I had to take a physical and because I cannot lift 50 lbs (which is not a requirement for the specific jobs I was looking into, but is in order to apply for any, does this make sense?) I cannot be considered for hire. I would love towork full time at the agency I am at now, but because I am considered tohave "physical limitations" due to my pain and not being able to lift, I cannot take a job that requires being able to put anyone into a hold, even theoretically. So I can't move up any higher there. I understand it is a safety issue, for me and others as well, but it is so discouraging. I have wanted so badly to be able to work with this type of population and may not be able to. It just depends on whether I can get better or not. And like I said, I don't qualify for disability. Working in a school is my last shot as far as a full time job with special needs kids right now b/c assistants/aids are not allowed to do holds in this state in the public schools, so I wouldn't have an issue. I am going to e working hard this summer to drop off my resume at all the local schools and hopfeully will be feeling better to actually do my job to my fullest capacity.
                But it is really difficult sometimes to deal with. I feel like I am discriminated against (even if it isn't intentional) because of this awful disease I cannot control!
                Part of the reason why I am in therapy!
                Rachel
                DX's:

I've Tried:
                Currently using:

Comment

You know...My years as a special ed teacher with pretty severe kids (aggressive, or needing physical care, or whatever) required that the aides knew "holds" or at least dodges to protect themselves. And in a manner of speaking, since the initiation of a ziliion rules and regs regarding No Child Left Behind. ( The staff assistants spent the time with the kids while the special ed. teachers worked on the paperwork)

OH PS my husband hates that I dont work but we've come to some understandings and things have been improve.I'm just very frustrated b/c I like to be messing around with other people and I was starting a training program for para pros in ojr district.

cant stay awake...too many meds

\
                  \
                  Last edited by MakinIT; 06-08-2007, 06:14 AM. Reason: Political discussions are absolutely not allowed./left out words

Percocet as needed
                  Topomax 100mg day
                  Ambien 10 mg bed
                  desipramine 25 mgs

Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it's helping....

I am taking one controlled release pill every morning and while it isn't eliminating my pain, it is helping, to the point where I am taking less Valium and less Vicodin. It has been two weeks now and while I had a nasty flare last week I still think this is helping me. I think, just think because I haven't formally recorded my voiding in awhile, that it is helping the Urgency/frequency a little. Not alot, but a little. I did some errends on Tuesday and it wasn't until I got home that I realized I had gone two whole hours and hadn't even thought about the bathroom, which is rare for me! Usually after 45 minutes I am frantically looking for a bathroom! I am going to not take it this weekend and record my voiuding then continue on Monday and record my voiding before my next Doctor's visit. It is generic(Ophenidrine Citrate), so it only cost a $20 co-pay and since I take a whole vailum at night or half a valium and a benadryl, I dont need it at night. I had to stop Elavil b/c even 10 mgsa is now too much for my body to handle and I had several times I almost fell asleep at the wheel or over slept until 10 or 11 in the morning! The Benadryl helps me sleep and I no longer have to pay the $40 a month for Allegra b/c it calms my allergies as well. Wish I had tried this last summer!
                    As for the Orphenidrine citrate, I only take one 12 hour release pill a day and can make a month supply last two. It doesn't make me as tired as taking valium around the clock. Like I said, it isn't eliminating my problems, but seems to help much more than I anticipated, especially with back and pelvic pain ( I still need a Valium for those awful bladder spasms and vaginal pains), and because it isn't a controlled substance it is easier to get and can be refilled.
                    Hope this helps some of you!
                    I go back to see the Doctor next Thursday so we'll see what he says. I want to try a different OAB medication (currently on Ditrupan) b/c my dry mouth is getting unbearable and it doesn't seem to be helping much anymore.
                    Rachel
                    DX's:

I've Tried:
                    Currently using:

Comment

Working...
                    X