Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronda

Hey Ronda,
    You can probably relate. I'm just NOT hungry on Topamax. I rarely get hungry but when I do, it doesn't take very much food to fill me up and usually water will fill me up instead. Yesterday I ate a little jello pudding thing for breakfast. A slice of bread for lunch. A taco for dinner and a little bit of guacamole and chips and OMG that was WAY too much---I felt stuffed. I've lost almost ten pounds in only two weeks----and without feeling hungry. And my pain is better too. Is there a better drug on the planet? I don't think so!!! Duh, no wonder Anna Nicole's autopsy found Topamax in her system. Howard Stern says she had migraines. Yeah, SURE SHE DID!!!! Uh huh. Yeah.

(But don't worry, they say it's not what killed her).
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

The good thing is, with all of the documentation we all have, there isn't a doctor or judge on the planet that could argue that any of us is only taking it for the weight loss. That's just a benefit, and a nice one at that! I know for me that the pain relief is the biggest relief!!! But I sure as heck won't turn down losing all the weight I've gained from this stupid disease!!!
      http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

Actually, my migraines were under control, I was just a drooling idiot. I backed it down, with the assistance of a my chiro, and he found where the migraines were coming from. Unfortunately, they have kicked backup. When they are bad I have a sensation of heat, and when people saw me, the side of my head affected actually had a red ring under the eye and my face was hot. (Trigeminal nerve?) I was often fortunate enough to notice the signs the h/a was approaching (heat, light flashes, ect) but sometimes at work I would be so into what I was doing, my staff was suddenly shutting out the light in my office , or pushing me toward it, and putting ice packs on me and calling my chiro. Even my severe special ed. kids could ID when "miss fishy gots a bad headache coming"...I would have to stop and look around, then I would notice the signs and all I could do was pace, but they would sit on me with an ice pack. Sometimes Greg was working at the hospital near my job so he'd come by with his table and snap it out. It was the most bizarre feeling. I could actually feel the warmth disapate from the back of my neck, once it cracked..and he felt the temp rise when it cracked and then go way down. He had never experienced that before. So it's happening again, I wake in the middle of the night sick with a migraine..Greg works on me, but he has cancer and can't do what he used to. In fact, his cancer came back and the treatment that was his last hope won't work now. I'm very sad, he has about 6 months, won't give up his practice yet. He's fighting mad right now.

Gotta go...we have a thingy to go to tonight and i have to sleep off pain meds. whoopeee.
        I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
        90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
        Percocet as needed
        Topomax 100mg day
        Ambien 10 mg bed
        desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

i hear ya!

I agree Moonheart!

Before IC I competed in triathlons, loved skiing, hiking, etc and weight was never something I had to think about. I was such an active person that I ate whatever I wanted and was still itty bitty.

Then IC robbed me of almost everything I enjoy. You can't exactly go hiking when you desperately need to pee every 15 minutes. I would probably get arrested!

I stopped skiing b/c going to the bathroom became too big of an ordeal when you have to pop off your skis and clunk into a building in ski boots, clunk back out, pop your skis back on. Repeat in 15 minutes.

I used to be this tiny little thing and it's kind of embarrassing running into people from high school. They probably think I just let myself go or wonder what the hell happened. At least I live 22 hours from home!!!

So hopefully Topamax will help me lose some pounds while controlling my pain.

I hope this keeps up. I feel like IC has robbed me of SO MUCH, including my figure. It would be nice to have it back. So whatever works you know.
          Lee Ann
          Current Rx Meds:
          Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
          Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
          Hooray for babies!
          Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
          Didn't work for me:
          Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
          IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Jes' trying to remind yall and not being a wet blanket on this weight loss picnic (Because it is really cool....no hunger, everyday it seems you stand on the scale and another pound is gone) you will feel some memory lapses or you repeat yourself. I have almost total amnesia now after I take my night meds. I won't remember I wrote this tomorrow, although while I'm doing it I am perfectly fine. I'm on a fairly high dose, 150 mgs..and I went up to 200, and wound up going down too far and have come back up again. 150 is what my body needs. Oh, and since my doc put me on Lyrica a ways back, I was starving all the time and I ate constantly. On the Topamaz..I lost 80 pounds...stayed that way for a year after my botched surgery... but gained back 10 after a year. stayed at that 10 for another year...got the Lyrica and went crazy...I wound up gaining an addition 25 pounds, in about 6 weeks. I got off because i couldn't even fit into what was now my fat clothes (3 years before hand Iwas thrilled icould wear them...) So, i did a lot of thinking, had a bowl of Ben and Jerry's phish food and dropped the Lyrica. My hunger dropped but weight has been slow to drop but my acitivity level just wasnt what it was. So, in a 2month time period I've lost 4 of the 35 I regained. It sucks. But, I also was in a dilema w/ my diet. I was lo carb which was awesome for me. I eat a piece of bread...i can feel my pants stretch... Fruit...same thing, but veggies..meat, cream, ect...I'm fine. I lose weight in combination with the Topamax. (Dr. Bernsteins diet for Diabetics) It is very, very strict. At my best I couldn't stick entirely to his diet demands. But I lost weight. (only allowed 6 carbs at breaffast. Eggs and bacon are zero...) 3 carbs for a midmorning snack, so a handful of almonds or jerky. 6 at lunch so some salad , 3 for late afternoon (cheese stick and carrots) and dinner was whatever everyone was eating, minus carb stuff...ever had spagetti wl/no noodles? (I was on a hunt for for something after that and wound up brushing Kale with olive oil and baking it for couple minutes...It was versatile) I could eat 12 at dinner. night was 3-6 dependingon how good I was. But I found protein really filled me up, as did the veggies. I never got bored l was too busy plannning meals and watching poounds drop.

I guess the entire diatribe is: keep a constant watch for signs of your mind slowing. Ask you partner to keeo notes for you, but not to be obvious or you get paranoid.

Good night....
            I.C. DX'd following my "second hysterectomy" (the remaining ovary, that kept bursting and bleeding 2 years after my hyster/right oompherectomy, was removed in 2003. I was a special ed teacher. I am now very lost, and feeling rather hopeless in my life.

Medications I CURRENTLY take:
            90 mgs Ms contin (45 mgs Am/PM)
            Percocet as needed
            Topomax 100mg day
            Ambien 10 mg bed
            desipramine 25 mgs

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X