How do you use MMJ? Does it help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use MMJ? Does it help?

Now that medical marijuana is legal in several states, more and more patients are using it for their IC symptoms... especially if they have been denied pain care. We would love to hear your experience with MMJ and CBD oil? Has it helped?
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Re: How do you use MMJ? Does it help?

I LOVE CBD oil! It has helped me tremendously. I recommend Charlotte's Web by the Stanley Bros. I bought the highest form of hemp CBD that Charlotte's Web offers. I take 3 full droppers daily, sublingually. The Stanley Bros seem like amazing group of guys who truly want to help and heal. Sadly, medical marijuana is not legal in NC - I hope it becomes legal someday. CBD is the next best thing though. It is so sad that people still have to rely on pills (especially opiates) to manage their pain.

Comment

amycampbell do you find it helps with frequency? I have gotten worse over the years and it's really having a bad affect on my life.

Comment

Hi Dakota,

I"m so sorry you are still having problems after years of suffering. I don't know if it's helping with frequency. I will give you my cocktail of drugs that I'm on for IC: amiltriptalin (10mg at night), Elmiron (3 times a day on an empty stomach), gabipenten (3 100mg pills per day, with or without food), hydroxyzine (20 mgs at night), Ambien (10 mg at night), Uribel 4 times a day, Stanley Bros CBD oil 3 times a day (most potent blend, under my tongue for 90 seconds at least), Marshmallow Root as directed on bottle, Activated You probiotic, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera as directed. I truly hope you feel better soon. Adding the gabipentin and Uribel (I was orginally prescribed the chalky pill that has less pain reliever than the Uribel). Uribel is stronger at helping pain and it is a capsule. I've also started weekly bladder instillations for the next month. I had my first one this past Monday and by Wed, along with all these meds, I finally have started to feel better. I was even able to get a pedicure today. First time in 6 months.

Comment

One thing to look out for with marijuana is the different strains.
          Theres indica and sativa and various hybrids and theres also different percentages of cbd and thc in them
          Here is a link that can explain things.
          https://herb.co/marijuana/news/indic...the-difference
          One of the strains (sorry i always screw up which is which but it explains in the article) is what we call a 'head stoned' where you get super focused and its kinda like a caffeine injection to the brain, it can make some pains better in the body but its not the most ideal for pain.
          The other one is the 'body stoned' where all you want to do is eat and sleep, that is the best for pain and nausea.
          Ideally you want a nice hybrid that is good for you, some might want a bit more headstoned and some may want a bit more body stoned and then there is the different percentages of cbd to thc to think about as well since some may want a bit more cbd and some may want more thc.
          If you are looking for pain and /or nausea then you would want more thc and a bit more body stoned.
          So there is a lot to think about when looking into medical marijuana.
          A warning with the head stoned if you just get a pure head stoned one, you can experience edgeyness.
          But highly recommend marijuana over opiates, opiates can make you a zombie and nauseous and constipated. My experience anyway.
          No effects like that from marijuana.
          Sure you can get sleepy from some but sometimes with ic, thats a good thing. Just time it right so you have it near bedtime.
          Hope this helps.
          Last edited by stef000; 05-06-2018, 03:14 PM. Reason: Had to post a better link
          Have dealt with chronic pain and gerd/ibs since '98 endometriosis, vulvodynia diagnosed 2000, ic diagnosed around 2004, chronic epstein barr-like virus 2011
          Hysterectomy/oophorectomy 2014 endo had destroyed everything
          Now dealing with recurrence and menopause in late 30s
          Other things--migraines, chronic hives, eczema, raynauds, congenital scoliosis, broke 3 vertebrae in middle of back when i was 16, heart defect (ventrical septal defect)

Comment

I tried some Indicas for pain: Afghani-goo, and Granddaddy Purple. They couch lock you, so if you don’t mind that it may be helpful but I can’t hold down a job on couch lock. It makes you starving as well which is good if you suffer from nausea.
            The sativa and hybrids; like AK47 got me so stoned I was tripping, not unlike my days in the 60’s. Did nothing for me except exacerbate my anxiety, oh yes, paranoia! Just like when I was young....ahhh, pot , doobies, joints, weed, Mary Jane,medical marijuana, call it what you will, not for me or my pain. Never liked it then and don’t like it now.
            For pain I’ll take an opioid, NSAID or for anxiety, a benzo, vistaril or muscle relaxer any day over MMJ.
            Just my own experience.

Comment

There are so many variations now though. With different bits of indica and sativa in it and also different percentages of cbd and thc. Since some formulations with more cbd, you get the pain relief without the brain effects.
              And different ways of taking it now, like specialized formulated capsules and edibles and creams and everything.
              I went into this pure medical dispensary and they could formulate any percentage of sative to indica and thc to cbd in anything you would want.
              And the creams can help directly and not effect the brain.
              Things have definitely changed a lot just in the past decade.
              Its crazy.
              I know someone who had all her pain taken care of by just a couple bites of a marijuana cookie every so often during the day.
              I say for anyone who is struggling out there and its legal and all good with your doc, go find a real good medical dispensary and talk to them about individual products that could help you.
              If they are a good medical place then they can make up whatever you need in whatever form you want to try, whether it be cream or capsule or something to put in a vaporizer or something you, yourself, can bake with.
              That is a sign of a good medical dispensary when they can compound it in house to your specific needs.
              Hope this helps someone out there who is struggling.
              Keep positive everyone.
              There is always hope and something new to try.
              Have dealt with chronic pain and gerd/ibs since '98 endometriosis, vulvodynia diagnosed 2000, ic diagnosed around 2004, chronic epstein barr-like virus 2011
              Hysterectomy/oophorectomy 2014 endo had destroyed everything
              Now dealing with recurrence and menopause in late 30s
              Other things--migraines, chronic hives, eczema, raynauds, congenital scoliosis, broke 3 vertebrae in middle of back when i was 16, heart defect (ventrical septal defect)

Comment

I got approved for medical marijuana in PA a few months ago. It was an interesting process for someone who doesn’t even drink. Initially the dispensaries had very little in stock and I had to drive 2 hours for the closest one. It is also pretty expensive and there is no way to trial yet. The first thing I was given was a capsule and it was way too high in THC for me. Consumables work for some people bc they last for about 6 hours vs. vaping is about 2 hours. It wasn’t a great experience for me. I almost gave up trying anything else.

I waited till a dispensary in my town opened. They helped me to find some strains that are very low in THC and high in CBD. I did try CBD oil alone, but it did not help me. I tried a few brands and unfortunately did not have the success many have with it alone. I think I have more PFD than IC. I flare, but my major systems are more pelvic/lower back. Some people need the entourage effect that comes from pairing THC and CBD together.

I now have tried a few Indicas for sleep. I have been able to decrease my Ambien dose (I am a chronic insomniac even before IC.) The strains i tried for sleep are Hell’s Angels and IG Kush. The two strains that show some promise so far are Harlequin and AC/DC. They are both very low in THC. I vape bc I prefer how I feel it immediately and don’t worry about it being in my system as long. I am interested in trying the lotion. I was told it doesn’t last very long for some, but that way it really isn’t in your system as much.

My doctor did DNA testing on me bc of serious effects from a variety of medications. I don’t respond well to opiates or ibuprofen, so I am very hopeful that I will find something to help.

Comment

Hi Amy,

Wow sounds like you're really trying and giving it your all. Some of what you're using are things I've tried. I take Resterol for sleep and I've been on it for years. It gives me about 4 to 5 hrs of uninterrupted sleep....it used to last longer but I think I've been on it so long that it's not as effective as when I first started it. I've been on Elavil, Elmiron wasn't helping and I couldn't afford it any longer, Aloe Vera and Marshmallow root which didn't do a thing for me. The thing that has helped me the most is Atarax or believe it or not just plain old Benedryl. I have to be very careful though because combining those with Resterol causes me to experience horrible nightmares. I'm so glad your regime is helping you. When you find a combination that works stick with it!

Comment

Working...
                  X