Nerve blocks for frequency/urgency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerve blocks for frequency/urgency?

I am confused- can nerve blocks help with constant frequency/urgency, or just with pain? My biggest problem is a constant pressure/discomfort, often with the feeling that I need to go even with an empty bladder. Could nerve blocks help? I am kind of at the end of my rope...

I was wondering the same thing as frequency and the constant sensation of needing to go are my main issues. Has anyone tried a nerve block for these symptoms instead of pain?
    Addy

Symptom onset: 9/2010
    Diagnosed: 11/2010 via urodynamics, voiding diary and symptoms

Current Treatments:
    Botox to bladder trigone (not going well at the moment - retention issues with minimal to no symtomatic relief as of yet)
    Biofeedback
    IC Diet + gluten free
    Physical Therapy (since January 2011)
    Valium suppositories
    Xanax

Tried & failed: tricyclics (severe retention), atarax (retention), gabapentin, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Trileptal, Topomax, Lamictal, Keppra, Vicodin, Methadone, hydrodistention (waited over a year before willing to try this), elimiron/lido/sb instills, Whitmore cocktail instills, Uracyst instills, PTNS, acupuncture, electroacupuncture, low-dose naltrexone, nerve blocks (impar ganglion, superior hypogastric plexus, left sided S2-S4, caudal), Botox to pelvic floor

Comment

I am currently getting ganglion impar nerve blocks for pain, however, before my nerve block, my bladder is usually rather hyped up and making me race to the bathroom very frequently.

Immediately upon receiving the nerve block, my bladder settles down and not only is the bladder pain gone, but my frequency goes back to a nice quiet rate. I do admit that I am taking vesicare for frequency issues however, even while taking the vesicare I was experiencing the above issues.
      RagnarsCricket

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” *~*Theodore Roosevelt

Diagnosed IC 4-2009
      Diagnosed Fibromyalgia/CFS/Carpel Tunnel 6/2011
      Diagnosed Lupus 2/2012

Current Meds
      Vesicare 10 MG 1 time per day
      Elmiron 100 MG 3 times a day
      Premarin Vaginal Cream
      Pyridium as needed
      Ultram 200mg/day
      Ultram 50mg tablets for breakthrough pain
      Gabapentin 300 mg 3 times a day
      Amitriptyline 50 mg at bedtime
      prednisone

Additional Pain Management:
      Gangliar Impar Nerve Blocks (approx every 2-3 mths) - currently discontinued due to finances
      **Considering Interstim Implant this fall (2011)**

Comment

This is good news as I am getting my first ganglion impar block done tomorrow, so hopefully it will help. It is just a diagnostic one so I think it will just be an anesthetic. Do yours have steroids? And how often do you get them?

Thanks!
        Addy
        Addy

Symptom onset: 9/2010
        Diagnosed: 11/2010 via urodynamics, voiding diary and symptoms

Current Treatments:
        Botox to bladder trigone (not going well at the moment - retention issues with minimal to no symtomatic relief as of yet)
        Biofeedback
        IC Diet + gluten free
        Physical Therapy (since January 2011)
        Valium suppositories
        Xanax

Tried & failed: tricyclics (severe retention), atarax (retention), gabapentin, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Trileptal, Topomax, Lamictal, Keppra, Vicodin, Methadone, hydrodistention (waited over a year before willing to try this), elimiron/lido/sb instills, Whitmore cocktail instills, Uracyst instills, PTNS, acupuncture, electroacupuncture, low-dose naltrexone, nerve blocks (impar ganglion, superior hypogastric plexus, left sided S2-S4, caudal), Botox to pelvic floor

Comment

Yes, thank you for sharing your experiences- I am definitely going to seek out this form of treatment. It lasts for a couple of months, I presume? If you don't mind my asking, why are you considering interstim when you are having success with this therapy? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X