Interstim done in the office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstim done in the office

I saw a new urogyn this week for a fourth opinion. He agrees that I have tried everything and interstim may be my last option. I'm going to revisit some therapies I've done previously (PT, biofeedback, valium) first. If those don't help then he'll do an Interstim trial.

He told me he now does the insertion of the trial in the office using a mild oral sedative like valium. I didn't bother to discuss it further with him since I'm going to try a few other things first. I was just wondering if anyone has had the trial inserted in an office procedure, and how the experience was for them.

Gigi

Hi,
    I had it done yesterday in an office without any sort of Valium or anything other than a local.

I have OAB, I do not think I have IC, just to let you know.

I was not really nervous before hand, so I didn't mind not having anything to calm me down, but I think you would do just fine with a Valium. It was a fairly quick procedure, about 10 minutes each side, but I have to warn you I was sore upon leaving and still sore today. Hope it works for you!
    ~Holly

ps...let me know if you have any other questions ; )
    XOXO
    ~Holly

Diagnosed by symptoms: 8/12/2009
    Thought I had Overactive Bladder for several years and even had episodes of frequency in childhood.
    My symptoms are mild, mostly frequency, urgency, bladder irritation and faint bladder spasms.
    CurrentTreatment:
    Heparin/lido Instills of 20 cc's as of 8/12/09
    IC Diet
    10mg Elavil
    Pyridium
    Lot's of water

Potassium test on 8/14/09--very mild reaction, a 1 on a scale of 1-10.

Comment

GIGI
      I have heard of this being done and I think more and more doctors are going this route. I am so glad I had mine done in the hospital under general because I know the pain I went through.
      We are all so different with IC and what else our bodies are going through.
      I think it is a great idea to try EVERYTHING else possible before the Interstim.
      Good luck!!
      Current diagnosis
      Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
      Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
      Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
      Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
      I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
      One day at a time

Comment

I had mine done in a surgery center under local anastesia (sp?)

I cannot imagine having it in the office. It was a painful experience for me. I actually cried the entire time that they did it because it felt like my whole body was being jolted with electricity. My doctor said that most people dont react like that though, so please dont be nervous!

Good luck!!!
        [SIZE="1"]
        I've tried:
        Ditropan
        Detrol LA
        Levbid
        Prelief
        Elmiron
        Elavil
        Vesicare
        Cystoscopy/hydro
        Sanctura
        Enablex
        dmso and heparin instills
        Interstim

Comment

From what i have heard many docs do the trial in the office. Good Luck
          Daily Meds:

IC-Meds
          Ditropan XL 5 BID, Elavil 50 QD, Elmiron 200 BID, Hydroxine 50 BID. As Needed: Bacofen 20, Prosed DS, Hydrocodone/Apap.

Other Meds
          Adderal 10 QD, Remmeron 37 QD (I take 1 1/2 of 25 mg)

With the help of my doctor moving my meds around a bit by increasing this and decreasing that I have found a good combination of meds (for now and I pray a long time from now).

Comment

Curl333 is right. Most TRIALS are done in office, the actual implant itself would never be done in office, unless the doctor is a complete hack. The trial just consists of 2 small, thin wires that go into the backside right above your butt cheeks. The unit, because it's a trial, is external and you carry it around for the week.

It's not the most pleasant thing to get done, but it's managable. If you don't trust or like the doctor you're seeing, by all means see someone else. personally, I searched for who was best, not who was in my local driving area, if someone is going to mess with my backside they better be the best at what they do. Ya, know? That was definitely the best advice I took here from other Interstimers
            Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

I had my trial and implant in 2002 and I would truly check around before going that route. What I am concerned about is that during the trial implant, they are attaching the leads to your sacral nerve, which is time consuming to do. I was in what they called "twilight sleep" because they woke me up enough to answer some questions once the leads were attached because they had already attached the trial implant. They were asking me questions as they were working with the computer on my settings. I remember when I started feeling pain, I must have said something or started crying. All I remember is that I heard Dr. Doggweiler say to put me back under and I didn't remember a thing until they woke me up in recovery.

I would also be concerned about how sterile an office could be. There are two incisions made where they had to go in to attached the leads, then push the wires through to the incision on your upper butt check, Both sites were very sore. I don't know how fast they do the procedure now, but mine was over an hour. The actual implant surgery didn't take that long.

I would also call Medtronics and talk to one of their reps. The interstim is surgery and I have a high tolerance to pain, but there is no way I could have been given just oral meds. My older son just has his wisdom teeth pulled out and I know people that said they only had the oral drugs and something to numb their mouth. I know very well that my older son who is 25 would have been able to have that done without general anesthesia.

Comment

I don't think I would ever have in office trial. I had the trial done under sedation, and can remember very well the pain I felt. I wouldn't consider that as an offer on the table. Some patients are better with levels of pain control, but I just can't picture a doctor wanting to do this in office.
                it is a timely process, and the leads are attached along side but not on the sacral nerve if it is placed on the nerve, you could experience nerve damage later on in life. With that being said, you also can if it isn't on the nerve and breaks free and hits it.
                Having the interstim myself. I think it would be in your best interest to ask around and see how many has had it what way and how they felt about the procedure.

Comment

I had mine done in the hospital. I don't think I would go through with it if it was in the office. I seemed to be in a lot of pain for about 3 days I can't imagine getting it done withour beingput under.
                  Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Kirstie

Comment

Like the others have said we are all so different. I guess it really depends how the dr does the trial also. I know my dr the first time did not do it anything like most of the others I talked with.
                    I know for sure I would NEVER have this done in an office. I know how much pain and nerve damage I have received from this.
                    I think the important thing is to research as much as you can and talk with many drs about it and see what is best for you!!
                    Current diagnosis
                    Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
                    Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
                    Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
                    Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
                    I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
                    One day at a time

Comment

Depressed, not Dealing with Any of This

Its been a while since I've posted, I've been trying to cope with this by myself and its just not working. I've tried the oral Elmiron for over a year, doing the Elmiron,Lidocain instills 3 times a week, taking gabapentin at night and as my doc's not crazy about pain meds I try to only take them as needed. I'm having trouble working (I sit all day as well) and just feel like I'm not functioning at all. My poor husband tries to be understanding but I know he can't. Our sex life is minimal these days as I "cringe" at the thought of the pain the next day. My doc as with alot of you has recommened the intrastim. I have a consultation tomorrow. But I'm just not sure that's the answer either. I have the freguency and pain equally. I just feel at such a lose for anything else to try. I have been on all the typical meds, elavil, prelief, I've tried it all. I'm not to the point of having the "bladder" taken out yet. But just want something to hope for..
                      Dar

Diagnosed: 9/07
                      Meds: elmiron, enablex,ultram

Comment

I had my trial done in an OR room, I was knocked out after they found the nerve and I am glad that we went that route. The other 3 surgeries I had for it were done in the hospital also.

Corky,
                        Please be sure to read the stories of those who have had success and failure with the InterStim. It can be a helpful therapy for some but for people like me, it has been nothing but a nightmare.

Hugs,
                        Jess
                        Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Jess, your daughter is beautiful! What a great picture!

Comment

Working...
                          X