Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

So my friend was given the option of the interstim.

I have a few questions about it.

- How long does the procedure take?

- How long is the trial kept in? [Also, is the "trial" Phase I? What does it entail?]

- What does Phase II entail?

- How do you do post-surgery (ex: what is showering like?)

- How long is recovery after surgery? (ex: how long are you out from work/school/etc?)

Thank you so much. =)

I am sure your friend has tried everything else possible since the Interstim is normally the last option.
    I will try and answer your questions

- How long does the procedure take? The trial the first time took about a half an hour under anesthesia. Many drs are doing it without anesthesia now.

- How long is the trial kept in? [Also, is the "trial" Phase I? What does it entail?] It varies from a week to a month. I had mine two weeks.

- What does Phase II entail?
    This is when the permanent implant and wires go in if the trial worked.
    - How do you do post-surgery (ex: what is showering like?)

Take it easy and rest. Listen to your body. Showering is fine. Bathing is no allowed.
    - How long is recovery after surgery? (ex: how long are you out from work/school/etc?) I am disabled by all this BUT with all the complications and such I would say at least 2 months BUT we are all different. Some can go back in a week others much longer.

GOOD LUCK!
    Current diagnosis
    Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
    Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
    Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
    Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
    I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
    One day at a time

Comment

Bathing is not allowed for how long? Baths are my #1 pain relief thing besides drugs!!!

My Dr. told me I could go back to work the next day after implant! Yikes! I am glad I read this!
      45 year old
      IC symptoms, all my life
      Severe endometriosis since age 13, hysterectomy Oct 06
      IC diagnosed 1/11/05, Interstim implant May 09

Comment

mlzippy7 - Thank you so much for your answers. =)

Comment

I had a really hard time with the bath issue too!! I live in the bath tub!
          My dr said 4-6 weeks but after two and half I begged him(this was with the second implant) and since it had healed pretty good he let me.
          After the first implant it was a couple months before I could take a bath because of all the complications.

As far as going back to work it all depends BUT the implant can move within the first couple weeks and you really need to take it easy so you do not end up back in surgery.
          Current diagnosis
          Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
          Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
          Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
          Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
          I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
          One day at a time

Comment

Working...
          X