Failed after one month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed after one month?

I am considering Interstim and my doctor said she just had an IC patient have it done and she did great for one month and now she's right back to where she started. Has something like that happened to anyone else? Of course I don't know the person or the other factors that might have been involved, but ugh, that would be awful!
    ~Ashley

I am having my permanent Interstim implant done on Wednesday, so I'm very interested in what your doctor said. I'm also a little startled by it -- obviously, your doctor can't violate HIPPA, but did she indicate whether she herself was the operating/treating urologist? Did she indicate how long the patient has been "right back where she started"? I think my own counsel would be to talk at length with the doctor who would be treating you and ask some of the questions posted on the "sticky" on this topic, including
    *how many procedures has the physician done?
    *what is the success rate and how does (s)he determine/measure that (recognizing that since pain control is sort of an "off-label" effect you'd be looking at frequency/urgency issues)
    *what the battery life is for patients (i.e., after how many years does the replacement need to be put in)
    *what kinds of support the physician and Medtronic offer (specifically in terms of telephone or office consult)
    *what additional remedies the physician typically offers (some may urge continuation of PT or meds, etc.,.)

I hope this helps. I will do a post after my procedure on Wednesday and remain grateful to the support and feedback I have gotten from others here.

Comment

I didn't ask her any details. I won't have insurance for at least another 8 mos or so, so that gives me plenty of time to talk to her about it and research it. I read the sticky topics and will definitely ask her those things when it gets closer to being possible.
      ~Ashley

Comment

Good for you to do your research! It is important to have a good relationship with your doc and never, ever be afraid to ask questions. If he/she balks at answering, get a second opinion. There are times when drug or medical device reps really push their stuff on docs, claiming it is a miracle. And the surgery provides income to the manufacturers or the rep and the doc. Not putting interstim down, it has helped some, and you have some time to really look into it. Hope your insurance will help you and your preexisting condition does not come into play.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, the health insurance where I plan on working (which is the same place as I work now, but I'm PRN because of school so no insurance) covers pre-existing conditions, but of course I'll have to see if they cover interstim surgery. It's a pretty good plan since it's a hospital.
          ~Ashley

Comment

Working...
          X