Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diathermy Therapy

Diathermy Therapy is the application of radio
    fregency electromagnetic enery to the body to cause a temperature rise.

This includes, ultrasound, radiant heating and extracorporeal heating.

:eek:

Real interesting that you posted this Diane....just got a letter from Medtronics that says if you have the interstim implant NO TREATMENT OF THIS KIND IS TO BE USED...kind of scary, I think.
    teri
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Hi Teri:
      How interesting , I never got the notice of this from Medtronic at all !!

I had some ultrasound , but always turn off the Implant !!

Thanks Diane for letting us know what this is

Hugs Debbie
      Thinking positive has got me through to another day!!

Comment

Debbie, I called medtronics today and I am soooooooooooooo angry. They told me that to have ANY type of ultrasound it is recommended that your device is turned off not only by you but by your dr too. When I have my mammagrams I need an ultrasound, which will involve a 4 months time period setting up appts to have the unit turned off and back on by the dr. Not to mention the hours driving that are involved And, what happens if there is an emergency ultrasound that pops up?????

I guess that there are units where you can completely turn it off yourself but mine is not one of them. I am sooooooooo upset about this. Hubby reminded me that when I had the surgery I (and we) were basically genie pigs but I wasn't prepared for something like this. The lady I talked to said that any test that is within 6 inches of the device, the device should be shut down....I just went thru 6 x-rays of my tail bone. I turned my device off, but the main one was still on. Too many questions poping up for me :o t

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Teri ]
        teri
        Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Amanda
          ([email protected])

Comment

Just wondering who removed the posting from Ruth N???????

~~~Debbie~~~

Comment

Debbie~I deleted one from one of the other stim boards bacause it came thru as a double. I don't have a clue where the one from this board went
              teri

Comment

According to the letter from Medtronic, it doesn't matter if the unit is turned on or off, you shouldn't have this kind of therapy done at all.

Dana

Comment

According to what I have always been told, regular ultrasound shouldn't be a problem if not used near the implant. Medtronic's alert to physicians says:

What are shortwave diathermy, microwave diathermy and therapeutic ultrasound diathermy treatments? Diathermy treatments are used by a variety of health care professionals, including physical therapists, nurses, chiropractors, dentists, sports therapists, and others. Health care professionals may refer to diathermy using the term “deep heat” or similar terms. Diathermy means deep heat, but these devices may also be used in a way that causes little or no heating. Diathermy does not include ultrasonic imaging or electrocautery devices. Diathermy that uses these forms of energy (shortwave, microwave or ultrasound) can cause permanent nerve or tissue damage in patients with a neurostimulation system even if the diathermy is set at power levels that do not cause deep heating.

See: http://www.medtronic.com/neuro/diath...hysicians.html
                  Sherron

Comment

Sherron, I'm a little confused. I did read the Safety Alert. My doctor is recommending I have the implant for frequency and urgency.

In the Medtronic Booklet it reads:

"The following equipment and treatments may affect the operation of your neurostimulator system. Therefore they are NOT recommended.
                    . Ultrasound, scanning equipment
                    .Treatments such as diathermy (for muscle relaxation), lithotripsy (e.g. for kidney stones) and electrocautery (used during surgery).
                    .Radiation therapy over the neurostimulator.
                    .MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) over any part of the InterStim System.
                    .Heart defibrillators."

So, my question is, what are the diagnostic tools available for InterStim users? I wonder if the above includes the Dopler Ultrascan I had on the carotid artery? That test will in all probability have to be done again since they found plaque on the artery.

Ruth

Comment

Ruth:
                      This a post that was posted by Ruth N, about Diathermy Therapy :
                      posted June 23, 2001 09:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      I know I posted this awhile back but again before everyone panics ( and believe me I am not minimizing what hapened to the 2 patients) but as I recall it was not an interstim unit but an implant that was much closer to the brain to begin with and the diathermy was done near the implant. Obviously because tthis happened everyone will be more cautious in the future. Whereas diathermy is not a good idea based on this info and I am sure could do damage of some kind it is highly doubtful that diathermy would lead to a coma because of an implant in our lower back. Again, I am not saying to ignore the warning, just to keep it in perspective.
                      We are all warned not to drive with the interstim on and most of us do. Medtronics is covering themselves . If you read the PDR too carefully you would never take another pill again.

I am sorry, I am tired and rambling and hope I am making sense. Medtronics is right to warn us and we all know we are in unchartered territory with this implant. I take the warning seriously. But at the same time -it was a different device in a different location and anatomically and physiologically that does make a difference.

I hope this help you a bit Ruth!!!!

Debbie

Comment

Working...
                      X