No announcement yet.

Happy with Interstim.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi for anyone who is pulling their hair out wondering if they should try the interstim. I would encourage the trial it has made a incredible impact in my life. I do still have pain but I am able to sleep through the night and only go occasionally during the day and that is worth all the worrying in the world. There is nothing permanent about this. If its not right for you then you can reverse it. I will never regret mine.
    Annette
    Annette.

Comment

Annette~which trial did you have done before your final surgery? Did you have the old type trial or did you have the surgical trial?

I have had both and the surgical trial IS surgery.

This is a huge decision to make now. When I had the first trial in 1999 you were awake. Given a couple shots of lidocaine and your sacral nerve was poked at until the 'spot' was hit. For some of the girls that took 4 horrific hours. I was lucky and for me it was only 40 minutes. I had taken a couple of ativan before I went so I was good and relaxed.....the STAGED trial, which has been FDA approved now IS SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For people considering this.....get ALL the information from your uro's. Ask exactly what he/she plans on doing. Ask how many incisions you are going to have. Ask how long these incisions are going to be? Remember, if the test fails, you will be stuck with these scars, they won't disappear! Ask about the availability of getting ahold of the dr or rep day to day if need be. I by no means consider myself a sissy but the staged trial damn near did me in.

My trial was a failure but since everything was already in there from my original surgery we decided to give it a try....took 5 months and I am finally having good results....would I do it again??????????????????
      teri
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

for me the trial and surgery were not that bad, I have not found the right stimulation for mine. I wont stop trying!, but I suggest that you should try the trial, is not that bad (at least for me). BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOUR URO IS REALLY REALLY THE BEST AT THIS. SEARCH FOR THE ONE THAT HAS DONE A LOT OF PROCEDURES WITH GOOD OUTCOMES!

Comment

lucia~WHICH trial did you have done?????????????
          There is SUCH a difference. When people post it would help soooooooooooooooooo much if they would be specific and say "I had the original trial done" or "I had the staged trial done". There is SUCH a difference and it's so important that those considering this know what they are in for.
          teri
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

TERI:
            YOU ARE RIGHT, I FORGOT TO TELL WICH ONE I HAD. I HAD THE NORMAL ONE (IN MY DOCTOR'S OFFICE), IT TOOK MORE OR LESS 30 TO 45 MIN., THE FIRST TIME THE WIRES MOVED (I HAD 2 WIRES LEFT THERE, ONE IN THE LEFT SIDE AND ONE IN THE RIGHT SIDE). IN THE SECOND TRIAL, THE SAME AS THE FIRST ONE, I HAD JUST ONE WIRE. AND IT HELPED WITH MY URGENCY.
            Right NOW i'm waiting to find good results. I'll have an adjustment this week. I HOPE THIS ONE WORKS
            My surgery was in october of last yr.

Comment

Hi
              I had the surgical trial done I don't think the other one is recomended any longer. The procedure is so new i think things are still evolving.
              keep your chins up [img]eek.gif[/img]
              Annette.

Comment

Interstim

I just wanted to get some opinions on the Interstim. I am 25 years old and thinking of getting the implant. My frequency and urgency is controlling my life. I know that it may sound vain but I am extremly worried what the scars are going to look like and how my clothes is going to lay. After the surgery what was your recovery time. Do any of you have accidents at night, did this help?

I would appreciate all the feedback you can give. My doctor also mention doing the Botox injections, but that is 10K and only lasts for 6-9 months. If only that would last longer or insurance would cover it!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hello and welcome!
                  I am sorry IC is controlling your life. I can relate!
                  I have had two Interstims surgeries.
                  Yes you will have a scar but pending on your surgeon how big of a scar.
                  The recovery time is different for everyone. You have to take the first couple weeks really easy so the implant does not move.
                  If you have more questions feel free to ask!!
                  It is a major hard decision to do this.
                  Good Luck!!

Originally posted by lecuruk View Post
                  I just wanted to get some opinions on the Interstim. I am 25 years old and thinking of getting the implant. My frequency and urgency is controlling my life. I know that it may sound vain but I am extremly worried what the scars are going to look like and how my clothes is going to lay. After the surgery what was your recovery time. Do any of you have accidents at night, did this help?

I would appreciate all the feedback you can give. My doctor also mention doing the Botox injections, but that is 10K and only lasts for 6-9 months. If only that would last longer or insurance would cover it!

Thanks in advance!
                  Current diagnosis
                  Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
                  Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
                  Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
                  Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
                  I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
                  One day at a time

Comment

Working...
                  X