X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjyoon
    ICN Member
    • Mar 2002

Electrocautery & Interstim

I've posted this elsewhere, but I thought this title would help bring it to the attention of those who need it.

Medtronic guidance on electrocautery has changed since my implantation. Call & ask them for the latest information & they'll send you a whole .pdf on different precautions.

Here’s a little piece of what Medtronic sent me:
    Electrocautery
    If electrocautery tools are used near an implanted neurostimulator or make contact with a neurostimulator, the following effects can occur:
    The insulation on the lead or extension can be damaged, which can cause the lead or extension to fail or to induce currents that damage tissue or stimulate or shock the patient.
    The neurostimulator can be damaged causing stimulation to temporarily decrease or increase.
    The neurostimulator can be turned Off by resetting the device to power-on-reset values (requiring the neurostimulator to be reprogrammed).

If electrocautery is necessary, these precautions must be followed:
    Turn Off the neurostimulator before using electrocautery.
    Use bipolar cautery.
    Use only low-voltage modes if unipolar cautery is necessary.
    Use the lowest possible power setting.
    Place the current path (ground plate) as far away as possible from the neurostimulator, extension (if applicable), and lead.
    Do not use full-length operating-room-table grounding pads.
    After electrocautery, a trained InterStim Therapy clinician should confirm that the neurostimulator is working as intended.
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.
  • ICNDonna
    ICN Staff
    • Mar 2000

I have marked your post so it will always appear near the beginning of this forum because I feel it is important information.

Thank you for sharing.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

• lyse3
      ICN Member
      • Jun 2002

Ryoon, thank you very much for that important info. I had my interstim done November 9, 2006. They warned me carefully about not ever having diathermy, but I suspected that anything involving electric conduction to your body anywhere would be dangerous. I wonder if it would be dangerous if you were having a heart attack and they had to apply defibrillation shock. Probablyit would be most definitely dangerous, but in that case it might have to be done anyway so that you didn't die from the heart attack.

Comment

• rjyoon
        ICN Member
        • Mar 2002

The information directly describes defibrillation, and has a number of precautions to minimize the risk. I recommend getting the information directly from Medtronic. Although, I don't know how you'd ever be able to give healthcare professionals the information in a timely fashion in a big emergency...
        IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

Comment

• snowgirl
          ICN Member
          • May 2001

Originally posted by rjyoon
          The information directly describes defibrillation, and has a number of precautions to minimize the risk. I recommend getting the information directly from Medtronic. Although, I don't know how you'd ever be able to give healthcare professionals the information in a timely fashion in a big emergency...
          In a big emergency you would not be able to give the info about the interstim
          I guarantee you if you are in a life or death heart rhthymn needing defibrillation- they are going to defibrillate you.

Vicky

Comment

• tigger_gal
            ICN Member
            • Apr 2002

this is so mportant to know, I would advise putting this info with the stim card, driver license and the meds you take or are allergic to,. the problem is they do what there trained to do first, save lives, rather then read important info that may harm you.
            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

• snowgirl
              ICN Member
              • May 2001

good suggestion. In an emergency situation of cardiac arrest they won't be looking for interstim info. Especially paramedics, EMT in the field. I would suggest getting a medic- alert bracelet or necklace. I am not sure the majority of RN's or paramedics know what an interstim implant is.- they need to be educated.

Vicky
              I am going to bring this up at my next ACLS course.

Comment

• Lishypaz
                ICN Member
                • Aug 2006

I have my card in my wallet, and the temp card in the case with the device that changes the settings that I carry with me all the time in the event I need to make an adjustment. Do they make bracelets, however? It seems that might be a better solution, as I often don't bring my wallet in to school with me and I am a first-responder, and have not been told to check a potential victims wallet before administering CPR, just to see if there is a medical emergency bracelet. I am Red-Cross trained in CPR for the Professional Rescuer and have been for almost 18 years, but we've never been advised to check a wallet. This post has made me quite contemplative.
                Lish
                Besides IC, I suffer with MS (there are several schools of thoughts about this), IC, VV and IBS-C. Used to avoid ALL meds and solve everything herbally, boy have things changed!

Follow (to the best of my ability) IC diet and IBS diet.
                Current Medications: Just had an interstim implanted 10-5-07 at Strong Memorial in Rochester. 2nd interstim placed 2-12-00 and then following an infection had it removed & put back in 4-?--09; currently having botox injection procedure done every 3-4 months; Current M ed:noritriptyline HCL 40 mg nightly, Gabapentin 3 X daily, 10 mg Toviaz 1X daily; 5 mg Rapaflo 1 X daily; diazepam 2 xs daily for spasms, macrobid 1 x daily during even months, paired with trimethoprim 1 x daily during odd months to avoid UTIs and becoming immune, prazosin 1 X daily, oxycarbenzapine 2X daily, baclofen 2X daily, som a 3X daily & hydrocodone or oxycodone for breakthrough pain management. I am back on methadone 3 xs daily for pain management--things just got too hard. Now diagnosed with VV and I apply lidocain 5% in a cellulose cream 3xs daily. I also take capsulated cholorophyll with each meal, bifidophilus flora, and I-X for iron. I have, as needed, instillation of lidocain jelly, heparin, kenalog, and Marcaine through catheterization.

Comment

• snowgirl
                  ICN Member
                  • May 2001

personally considering the location of the implant I would still shock someone because the implant is nowhere near where you shock. We shock people with pacemakers just not over the top or real near them. I don't see shocking someone with an interstim in buttock sacral area being a problem at all.
                  Who knows I may be wrong. In ER situtation I would shock.

Comment

• suebee2
                    IC Friend
                    • Feb 2007

I have a dentist appointment on 12/11, I believe the interstim manual says something about the use of the dentist drill. My interstim was implanted on 3/27/07. It worked real well for 3 months, then I start having accidents again. I've been reprogramed about 4 times. I see from the Medicare statement the Doc is charging $100 for each visit. This last appointment the Dr. said I have a bladder infection and that may be the problem, so now on an antibiotic. Also reprogramed again, and I believe it is working good again. I asked my URO about the Dentist drill and he said he know no problem with it. Any info out there about this? I love this site. It help me feel confident to have the interstim. suebee

Comment

• rjyoon
                      ICN Member
                      • Mar 2002

The manual I have says:
                      The neurostimulator should be turned off and the drill or probe should be kept at least 6 inches away from the InterStim Therapy system.
                      It also says that otherwise damage could occur to the implant.

I don't know about you, but I'd worry if the dentist's drill got that close to my implant!

Comment

• suebee2
                        IC Friend
                        • Feb 2007

Thanks for the advice on the Dentist drill. I did explain to him last April that I had the interstim which he wasn't aquainted with, but I brought the book with me. I was only getting my teeth cleaned at the time, no problem. I appreciate your explanation, as I am sure I have fillings at this time.

Comment

• suebee2
                          IC Friend
                          • Feb 2007

Rjyoon, I will be careful the drill doesn't get near the implant. Ouch!! suebee

Comment

• Vicki
                            ICN Member
                            • Apr 2000

Curious to know how you are being treated for the thyroid antibodies? I have had high thyroid antibodies for almost ten years now. No one will do anything about it. -Vicki
                            Blessings and Hope

Current Meds.
                            OFF MY MEDS
                            Vivelle Dot: .10 changed every 72 hours
                            Compoounded Progesterone 25mg/night

Current Supplements
                            Hydroeye: 2 pills AM

Diagnosed
                            1995: Endometriosis
                            1998: Interstitial Cystitis
                            2006: Bladder Endometriosis, Total Hysterectomy and Bowel Re-Section
                            2008: Removal of Ovarian Remnant and Endometrial Cyst That was Obstructing Ureter
                            2012: Laparoscopic Removal of Adhesions and Staples

Comment

• rjyoon
                              ICN Member
                              • Mar 2002

High thyroid antibodies mean that you need to be taking thyroid medication. The TSH test alone isn't enough to determine how much medication is needed. According to my doctor, my thyroid has been pretty much destroyed thanks to so many years without treatment. The thyroid medication definitely made me feel better.

Comment

Working...