interstim and airport security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interstim and airport security?

I'm 32, had interstim for 4 years, and it is soooooo sensitive! I can't even go to Best Buy because of the shocks! ONce it sent me to my knees and I thought the employees at best buy were gonna call 911! In two days I'm flying for the first time since I've had the interstim. Anyone gone through airport security before with interstim? Do they make you go through the metal detector anyway? I won't be able to do It! I have a card, is that sufficient or should I get a note from my doctor?

It wouldn't hurt to get a note from your doctor. Anything you can do to make this easier is good.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I have the card they gave me with the Medtronic info and the Dr.'s contact info. I also have a med alert bracelet and I tell them I have a pacemaker so I can't go thru the metal detectors. They call someone over to manually check you. It takes a litte longer so I try and get the airport earlier than usual. I've never had a problem and I've flown several times with it.

On a side note: Interstim shouldn't be knocking you to your knees for ANY reason. I would call at some point and get that straightened out with your doctor or a physician who can treat your interstim issues.
      Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

I had to get a note from my URO at UCLA to be able to carry my Urinary Diversion supplies in my purse...Purell, soap, KY...if they give you any grief, ask for a supervisor...that's what I had to do when they were going to take my supplies from me...I asked they guard " Would you want to stick this 16 Fr cath up your woohoo without lube?"
        After suffering with IC for 40 years, my bladder was removed in Dec 05...YAY!

Comment

I just used the medtronic card they sent and it was fine. I was in a wheelchair so I didn't go the "normal" way that most people do. They let me bypass a bunch but that is because I had surgery just.
          Good luck.
          My unit goes off in EVERY darn store too. I have talked with the reps and they claim it is very rare for people to have this happen.
          Current diagnosis
          Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
          Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
          Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
          Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
          I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
          One day at a time

Comment

I'm flying out tomorrow...I've got my bracelet, my Medtronic card that came with the Interstim, I'm getting to the airport 2 hours before my flight...I should be good to go! I think my biggest concern is packing enough PaulMitchell Detangler for my trip..LOL!
            Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

I was recently able to go through security with it. I just made sure to turn it off before I got into line. I had my card ready and refused to go through a metal detector. They did question me about why I needed to be searched by hand, but it wasnt a big deal.
              [SIZE="1"]
              I've tried:
              Ditropan
              Detrol LA
              Levbid
              Prelief
              Elmiron
              Elavil
              Vesicare
              Cystoscopy/hydro
              Sanctura
              Enablex
              dmso and heparin instills
              Interstim

Comment

Do you all have the original Interstim device or the newer smaller device box? I just had mine put in three days ago, and it is supposed to be the "newer" smaller version. The Medtronic rep said that she hasn't heard of anyone with the new device having any problems setting off store alarms or anything like that... Just wondering if you all had the original or the new revised device?? I've only had mine 3 days so I haven't been out to a store or anything yet, and after reading a couple stories on here, now I'm nervous as heck! lol

Comment

My current one is the newest version they make.
                  Current diagnosis
                  Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
                  Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
                  Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
                  Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
                  I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at [email protected].
                  One day at a time

Comment

I have the new one as well, and have never had any problems with setting off alarms or anything like that.
                    [SIZE="1"]
                    I've tried:
                    Ditropan
                    Detrol LA
                    Levbid
                    Prelief
                    Elmiron
                    Elavil
                    Vesicare
                    Cystoscopy/hydro
                    Sanctura
                    Enablex
                    Interstim

Comment

That was my question...about what you do for airport security...when you say they manually check you, what does that involve? Do they use the wand? Have you ever had a more invasive search? (That's always been my fear...where they take you in a little room.) This sounds really scary to me that you can't even go into a store without having problems. What do you mean it "goes off?" The metal detector goes off or does the device do something? (I'm asking anyone with one who knows, not anyone specific! )
                      ~Ashley

Comment

I answered you in another posting, but yes, they do use a wand over your body, I've never had a body search - but I have set off the buzzer/alarms at the censor at our local Wal-Mart a few times!

Comment

The easiest thing to do is to just tell them you have a pacemaker. I have flown a lot since having my interstim put in and have given up on any explanation at security. They know that pacemakers (no matter what kind) can't go through the metal detector and will pull you aside to do a manual pat down. I don't find it to be very invasive and they'll take you to a private area if you want. It's much easier than dealing with an explanation or worrying about settings and such - at least for me.

Comment

I tell security now that I have a pacemaker. It is so much easier than telling them I have a metal implant in my lower back. They always want to know why you have a metal implant. I just say that it is for back pain and they usually don't question it further. It makes me uncomfortable though discussing medical stuff with security people at the airport. I think that you should be able to request a hand-search for any reason without question.

The last time I flew though, I had a not-so-nice security woman questioning me! I told her I had a pacemaker and she said "well YOU look to young to have a pacemaker!" (I'm in my 20's). I replied...well I do.... and she copped an attitude with me and tried to tell me that I can go through the machines! I'm sorry but you are not my doctor! I really don't think it is their business to question my medical background! Just do the pat down and let me on my way!
                            [SIZE="1"]
                            I've tried:
                            Ditropan
                            Detrol LA
                            Levbid
                            Prelief
                            Elmiron
                            Elavil
                            Vesicare
                            Cystoscopy/hydro
                            Sanctura
                            Enablex
                            Interstim

Comment

Oh my...how is it anyone's business why you have a metal implant? And I'm sure I'll get the you're too young to have a pacemaker thing too. I'm 26, but people tend to think I'm about 18 and whenever I tell anyone about having IC they say I'm too young to have bladder problems or take so many meds or etc, etc, etc. But anyway, airport security isn't supposed to interrogate you about your medical problems! How rude. Do you have a card or anything to show them? I agree though, they shouldn't give anyone the 3rd degree about requesting a hand-search.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was confused because I thought maybe they still wanded you if you can't go through the metal detector and I didn't know how to explain where/why there would be metal there, not in my heart! Anyway, I appreciate everyone's responses. It doesn't sound too bad
                              ~Ashley

Comment

Working...
                              X